Why become a member? ×

So how does one play bass?

Golchen

I guess that's a question with no short answer!

Here's the thing. I have toyed with bass playing for many years, pretty much as a 5th instrument. For some reason I've been really getting into it recently, more than ever before. However, I don't really know what I'm supposed to do with it! started with root notes playing along with the chord structure, got to throwing in octave notes, and then occasional 5ths. Now I can move around quite a bit with them, and rather enjoy having a go at all that slapping stuff. But my question is where does one go next????

Apologies if it's a dorky question, but I'm beginning to feel that I'd really quite like to be a bass player!

Good question. A lot of bass playing (unless you are doing solo sh*t) is about what you leave out as much as what you play. Some tunes have well known bass lines but if you are doing originals rather than covers then start with the chord charts and play with the drummer to get the rythem as bass playing is about the beats as much as the notes. Dont forget you dont have to play the root note of a chord - any note from the chord is valid and you can make up some really cool lines if the chords have lots of 6, 7 and 9 by playing the 6, 7 and 9 not the root.

Roots are important to emphasise the chord changes. Between the chord changes you can choose what you play. For example,

1) If the chord changes every 1st beat, you should play the new root every 1st beat. But, if you have the same chord for several bars, you could play chord tones every 1st beat.

2) To get from one root to the next, ideally you should play something that is melodically interesting, harmonically strong, and fits in with the drum pattern. In practice, you compromise, e.g. walking up the scale to a new root note is melodically interesting, but harmonically weak. Playing chord tones for the chord you are on, or the chord you are going to is harmonically strong, but melodically weak. And, what works in one song, may not work so well in another.

How you get from knowing this to applying it is something I am still working on!

Next...

Kneel before the kick drum and pray to your new master :) seriously the drummer is your best friend or worst enemy, the bass is not a four stringed guitar! it's a TOTALLY different instrument, in its modern electric form it may look vaguely similar to a guitar but its role lies firmly in the rhythm section. I like to think of bass as almost a tuned drum set, you provide a like between harmony and rhythm, quite how you achieve that i am still working on but if i had four ears i would keep two on the drummer one on the guitarist and one on the singer.

I'll give a less flippant response, got some time now.
Over the years one thing I have noticed about some musicians, and this can include bass players, is a high proportion of lack of awareness of the fine details of what playing bass is about.
In the majority of music, you are required to perform a support role and as such have a responsibility to maintain, at once, harmonic and rhythmic stability for the music and the players around you. It [i]is[/i] the responsibility of others too but its very noticable if you shirk that responsibility in the bass chair.
Even some very good keyboard players who can do a good 'left hand' job can miss the nuances that make really good bass playing.
All the above leads me to one conclusion, listening very closely* is a critical part of understanding what is going on under the fingers of the bass players we love to listen to. The truth, of course, is that there is a huge variety of topics that could come under the heading 'how does one play bass' as you rightly pointed out in the thread title its not a short answer, what I have indicated is what I consider to be a starting point.
I will happily answer specific points as you encounter them on your journey (and I'm sure many others on here would do the same)

* when I say closely, I really mean closely, bordering on obsession, I have on numerous occasions in my life listened to single tracks for literally days on end, absorbing every tiny nuance of every part/voice etc an awareness of the music in its entirity is another (I consider) essential quality as a bass player
hope that helps
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

Dont get me wrong - the roots are really important, but locking with the drummer while playing around the beat when you get a bit more adventurous are even more important - there was a big thread about playing around the beat and locking with the kick drum quite recently so it may be worth looking [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12513"]here[/url].

As you learn new techniques the important thing to remember is only to use them when required - there are so many guys out there guilty of inappropriate slapping :)

Edited by bass_ferret

I know my modes and scales, like a pianist or guitarist, but mainly play root or triads with the drummer.

My practice is mostly rudiment-inspired stuff (paradiddle picking, alternate picking, string skipping) so I can pull off a tight line that I can be proud of.

+1 giganods to playing as a drummer though. I've always used the analogy that we are inbetween the drummer and the pianist/guitarist as we play rhythmically but with harmonic/melodic content.

My nugget of wisdom is this:

[b]Every line I've ever worked on has become more and more simple, and the simpler it is, the happier I am with my playing.[/b]

As such I get all my students to learn the first 5 frets like the back of their hand.

I get hired because of how well I expone these ideas.

Dan

[quote name='noisedude' post='145360' date='Feb 22 2008, 09:53 PM']Good question. Someone asked me if I could teach them to play bass recently and it occurred to me that, unlike with guitar, piano and drums, I have no idea what I am actually doing when I'm playing bass!

Am interested to see what people think.[/quote]
+1 to that

I get asked at gigs on occasion & always say "sorry, no" with a follow up that for me it is 30+ years of gigging, playing along to stuff, & general noodling, but no actual formal teaching, so that I would find it difficult to impart knowledge I just know what I do (if that makes sense) and would be worried to teach someone - particularly a novice - my bad bass playing habits.

[quote name='WalMan' post='145560' date='Feb 23 2008, 12:57 PM']+1 to that

I get asked at gigs on occasion & always say "sorry, no" with a follow up that for me it is 30+ years of gigging, playing along to stuff, & general noodling, but no actual formal teaching, so that I would find it difficult to impart knowledge I just know what I do (if that makes sense) and would be worried to teach someone - particularly a novice - my bad bass playing habits.[/quote]

While I applaud your honesty at not taking someones money when you don't feel qualified, I do think it's often the case that people underestimate the value of what they take for granted, would be to a total beginner. There are very few really hard and fast rules to playing bass guitar as many people are successful with the techniques that work for them (obviously there are some rudiments that aid progress)
It might be more realistic to answer, I'll show you what I can and then if I think you need more than I've got I'll pass you on to someone who knows more. Presumably the asker likes what you do by dint of their asking you!
Jake

The less notes you play,the better the other band members seem,and you will be in demand. :)
Listen to the song without playing;hear the gaps where you are required to play and to not play.
Do not be afraid to ask other band members what they want to hear from the bass.
And never take the p**s out of the lead guitarist when he makes a pigs ear of a solo.Those delicate sensibilities can't take criticism :huh:

[quote name='steve-norris' post='145411' date='Feb 23 2008, 12:41 AM']I like to think of bass as almost a tuned drum set, you provide a like between harmony and rhythm,[/quote]

Word.

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='145452' date='Feb 23 2008, 09:28 AM'][b]Every line I've ever worked on has become more and more simple, and the simpler it is, the happier I am with my playing.[/b][/quote]

Word.

[quote name='paul, the' post='145800' date='Feb 24 2008, 12:27 AM']I listen to "What's Goin' On" with Jamerson on bass and then a later live version without JJ. That's enlightenment.[/quote]

[b]Word.[/b]

For best results with the bass, play with other people.

When playing with other people, listen 70%, play 30%.

Keep it simple.

Listen to the drummer and try and accent where he accents.

Use 'techniques' sparingly.

Let the guitarist and singer and keyboardist worry about the big main melodies.

Be aware of the power of 1) playing only with the kick for a bit 2) doubling the guitar for a bit 3) copying the vocal melody for a bit. Try playing roots during a verse, then try these methods once during the bridges, choruses and middle eights and see how much power you have to alter the dynamics and feel of a song.

Silence is a vital note on the bass. Dropping in at just the right point can be spine-tingling.

As a complete newbie 2 1/2 yrs ago, I have beten myself up learning major, minor and blues scales all over the fretboard....

now when my guitarist says lets try this track.... rarely can I not put something together that sounds half decent (unless Jaco or Flea stylee virtuoso stuff).....

You need 2 things to play bass...

1. rhythm

2. rhythm

:)

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='145452' date='Feb 23 2008, 09:28 AM'][b]Every line I've ever worked on has become more and more simple, and the simpler it is, the happier I am with my playing.[/b]

Dan[/quote]

Definitely in agreement with this statement. When my band starts working on a new song - usually starting with a guitar chord sequence, my initial bass line will be fairly simple sketching out the roots with some passing notes on the changes and maybe some octaves. Then as I get a feel for the song I'll hear in my head a more complex line which I'll work towards. Finally as all the different parts of the song come together I'll start leaving bits out so that what I play meshes with the other properly instruments.

Listen to the drums and the vocals and build your lines around them.

[quote name='Lenny B' post='145406' date='Feb 22 2008, 11:55 PM']Whatever you play, play with conviction.

If you're not sure, play a rest.

Listen to the drummer - he may not be listening to you

(some midnight philosophy)[/quote]

Do we have a basschat quotes thread? If we do ththat is straight where this is going! Fan-bloody-tastic!