Why become a member? ×

Should I beef up the cable in my cabs?

gafbass02

I know people get all shouty about wether cables make a difference etc, as it goes I do. But in a mix, debatable.
Anyway, I noticed the cable inside my Bergantino ae210's is the same basic £.99p a metre (at retail) stuff I sold at richer sounds for years. Hardly up to the spec of the rest of the rig, shuttle 9, obbm cables etc. Should/would popping the drivers out and re-wiring with the same obbm klotz stuff I use from head to cabs be a good plan do we think?
Gaf

Edited by gafbass02

Yes. Because you have decided to believe that ultra-thick speaker cables make a difference even over such short distances, and have already invested in some, you will hear a "difference", and you will play better, and thus attract both fame and fortune.

No, it's a complete waste of time and money and any benefit you hear will be entirely due to the placebo effect. The length of cable is too short to exhibit sufficient inductance, capacitance or resistance to have an audible effect. All it needs is sufficient current handling and what you've described easily has that. If you could see the cross-sectional area of the traces on the power module or the voice coil windings you'd see why this is true!

I 'beefed' up my speaker cables for one very simple reason - they are exposed in use and they get thrown into my gig box regularly. The obbm's are mechanically better then the ones I replaced. Electrically they have a larger cross sectional area than those they replaced and therefore will have a lower resistance (assuming core conductor material is the same)
However, my ears won't detect any 'improvement' and neither will yours.

In other words....don't bother. Use the time to make a nice cup of tea, put your feet up and read a good book.

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1258412' date='Jun 6 2011, 02:37 PM']Yes. Because you have decided to believe that ultra-thick speaker cables make a difference even over such short distances, and have already invested in some, you will hear a "difference", and you will play better, and thus attract both fame and fortune.[/quote]

Wow. You sure do know a lot about me just from that. Presumptuous much.

Cheers all I'll not bother :)

Edited by gafbass02

Ive always wondered this as well.
We keep hearing how we should use decent speaker and instrument leads, yet the leads in the cabs that i have seen do seem pretty cheap.

I dont think its silly to ask though, and seeing as Alex has given as good an answer as could be expected we all now know its not a problem.

The way i read the OP was it was just a question based on lack of knowledge, not one of these Snake oil questions.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1258372' date='Jun 6 2011, 08:52 AM']Should/would popping the drivers out and re-wiring with the same obbm klotz stuff I use from head to cabs be a good plan do we think?
Gaf[/quote]No, a waste of both time and money.
[quote]We keep hearing how we should use decent speaker and instrument leads, yet the leads in the cabs that i have seen do seem pretty cheap.[/quote]Price is not an indicator of quality, and within the confines of a cab durability is hardly a concern.

Well...

If you have the time / materials / inclination, I don't see why not.
I was appalled at the "bell-wire" lurking inside my Trace cabinets (and the lack of any internal damping or bracing)

If you're that bothered, stick some push-fit connectors to the cable, so you can temporarily fit the cables and try them. Just remember to solder them up once you've mad a decision!

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1258496' date='Jun 6 2011, 03:46 PM']Wow. You sure do know a lot about me just from that. Presumptuous much.[/quote]

Hmm. My intended gentle joshing obviously came over as sarky arsiness. Not the first time. Sorry!

[quote name='Subthumper' post='1259144' date='Jun 6 2011, 06:44 PM']Not to mention the feeble wire often found lurking inside amps going from the pcb to the o/p jacks/speakons.[/quote]
Still considerably more robust than the wire of the driver voice coils, which is what matters. If the cab contained more than a couple of feet of wire, or the amp more than a few inches, then it would be a different story.

Cheap cables will impair the sound but once you get to a good standard there's not much improvement to be had really.

Top-end studios using multi-thousand pound microphones will still be using the same standard cabling as any decent venue (Usually Neutrix/VanDamme)

[quote name='Bankai' post='1259217' date='Jun 7 2011, 12:04 AM']Top-end studios using multi-thousand pound microphones will still be using the same standard cabling as any decent venue (Usually Neutrix/VanDamme)[/quote]

And, as we've said so many times before, the main benefits of decent cable are resilience & flexibility. The main benefits of decent connectors are reliability, strength, and ease of termination. The Neutrik/VDC combination hits this target head on. Other quality cables/connectors can also fine, but by following certain brands, you know it's going to be OK.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1259217' date='Jun 7 2011, 01:04 AM']....Top-end studios using multi-thousand pound microphones will still be using the same standard cabling as any decent venue....[/quote]
I know that at Dave Gilmore's studio they use high end cables AND cryogenically freeze them to “improve” the sound! I don't know whether it makes any difference but they think it does!!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1259654' date='Jun 7 2011, 01:33 PM']I know that at Dave Gilmore's studio they use high end cables AND cryogenically freeze them to “improve” the sound! I don't know whether it makes any difference but they think it does!![/quote]

I wonder if this is maybe a sponsorship thing, in that Snakeoil Cables PLC have gone to the owners of a high-profile studio that's about to be renovated and said -we'll provide all the cable for free if we can quote you in our advertising?