Why become a member? ×

The first ding!

gafbass02

Many years ago, I'd just bought a yellow Vigier Passion 5-string (!) and was making my way home on the Tube...going up some steps towards the ticket barrier, I unslung the gig bag from my shoulder and clipped the lower front edge on a step...thought nothing of it, got home to give it it's 1st play and saw the nasty great ding in the lower side of the body...that was one crap gig bag... :)

I quite like the look of a bass with a few battle scars- although I wouldn't actively relic a bass. However I think the finish on my Squier would survive a full nuclear war so there is no question of that gaining the mojo.

I hate getting scratches on my cherry red Waterstone though, yet all I need to do is look at it and suddenly a ding appears. I could play naked and it would still get buckle rash. :)

Did a DING!! just last night on my new CIJ 62 fretless, thought I'd adjust the pick up height and......OOPPS! slipped off the screw head and put a little "skid" in the paintwork, didn't go down to the wood though....... :) may as well relic it now!

[quote name='Jase' post='149120' date='Feb 29 2008, 06:42 PM']Did a DING!! just last night on my new CIJ 62 fretless, thought I'd adjust the pick up height and......OOPPS! slipped off the screw head and put a little "skid" in the paintwork, didn't go down to the wood though....... :) may as well relic it now![/quote]

Because I'm now so damn anal about dings (I must buy an old knackered bass) if I'm doing any adjustments involving a screwdriver I cover the immediate paintwork with cling film - it's saved me from a few scratches. God I'm sad....

My status S2 Classic thru neck.

Mint since I brought it new in 2004. Then, in last two weeks, for one [b]ducking[/b] :huh: reason or another (don't want to talk about it :) ) - SIX, yes SIX laquer dings on edge, side, bottom - AND I was being so so careful (like usual), but as its my working bass, it was aways bound to happen.

[color="#FF0000"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"]You wait four years for a bus to come along then six come at once.[/font][/color]

Gutted, but now she is earning her name of 'classic' I guess.

Greg

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='145315' date='Feb 22 2008, 08:49 PM']Did a gig- late 80s- my bass fell off its stand after the first encore and I snapped a peg ( 70s Jazz ) I was so out of it ( pretty big gig ) that we played another two encores before I noticed the peg was missing - didnt even go out of tune ( as I remember it)

I remember my dads pal welded it next day so it was ready for my next gig. Loved that bass ( it was nicked outside another venue- blame pissed roadies )

Suffice to say I would recognise that bass immediately- strange blue colourings on E string peg.

I would pay £5K to get that one back- I still look at at at a gig I did in `87 on Youtube. Never mind.

Cheers

Bob[/quote]

Any chance of a link.

[quote name='martthebass' post='149147' date='Feb 29 2008, 07:42 PM']Because I'm now so damn anal about dings (I must buy an old knackered bass) if I'm doing any adjustments involving a screwdriver I cover the immediate paintwork with cling film - it's saved me from a few scratches. God I'm sad....[/quote]

Hmmm good idea, I'll remember that one :)

I think I might have the fastest first ding............

I'd literally (a few seconds) just handed the cash over for an Ibanez semi (guitar, not bass) and I dinged the back on the edge of the hard case as the lid threatened to close on the front.

I think I've had the luckiest escape from dings....

I was playing a show in a rock club of questionable sophistication in Warrington, we'd finished up and started loading out of the fire doors next to the stage. I'd stopped to track down my bottle of water when someone grabs me and says the words you never want to hear....

"Hey mate, some smackhead's just made off out the door with your guitar!"

He'd grabbed the nearest thing off our guitar stand and legged it into the darkness. The load out stopped and we made off in after him. We eventually caught up with him, he'd dumped it in a patch of grass just off the main road, and tried to make an exit from the seven angry scousers who were in hot pursuit.

Unbelievably, we got it back to the venue, and there wasn't a single scratch or dent on it. Those things are indestructible :)

[quote name='mike257' post='150899' date='Mar 4 2008, 10:17 AM']I think I've had the luckiest escape from dings....

I was playing a show in a rock club of questionable sophistication in Warrington, we'd finished up and started loading out of the fire doors next to the stage. I'd stopped to track down my bottle of water when someone grabs me and says the words you never want to hear....

He'd grabbed the nearest thing off our guitar stand and legged it into the darkness. The load out stopped and we made off in after him. We eventually caught up with him, he'd dumped it in a patch of grass just off the main road, and tried to make an exit from the seven angry scousers who were in hot pursuit.

Unbelievably, we got it back to the venue, and there wasn't a single scratch or dent on it. Those things are indestructible :)[/quote]

If I caught up with someone who attempted to steal one of mine I would add another ding to the beast by using it to teach the thief a lesson. Scum.
The first is always the worst!

first dink was with my musicman sub, was playin along sittin down at my desk, i leant down to pick up a piece of paper and stupidly didnt support the bass, so it fell off my lap, hitting the corner of the desk as it went, nice bit of body damage, was a bit annoyed with myself...

When I was buying my Sandberg JM last christmas I wanted to play one before ordering my custom made one from Germany, so I was playing one they had in electro in Doncaster. It sounded excellent, I ordered one the rest is history.

Anywho as I went to put the bass back on the rack I cracked it against the corner of a Markbass cab and left a dent in it, guy in the shop was not impressed, I put the first ding in what presumably became someone else's bass.

[quote name='Mr Cougar' post='152033' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:06 PM']Anywho as I went to put the bass back on the rack I cracked it against the corner of a Markbass cab and left a dent in it, guy in the shop was not impressed, I put the first ding in what presumably became someone else's bass.[/quote]

Was that Dave the useless?

Never mind...................... :)

[quote name='mike257' post='150899' date='Mar 4 2008, 10:17 AM']I think I've had the luckiest escape from dings....

Unbelievably, we got it back to the venue, and there wasn't a single scratch or dent on it. Those things are indestructible :)[/quote]

Which bass did he make off with, you stay very mysterious the whole way through :huh:

I got my 2nd hand Yamaha last week and within an hour I had smacked it against the corner of a wall. It already had a few scratches on the back. I had it resting on the arm of the sofa whilst re-stringing it. I picked it up and sort of swung it around at the same time, bang off the corner of the wall. Now there is a nice ding on the headstock.

[quote]If I caught up with someone who attempted to steal one of mine I would add another ding to the beast by using it to teach the thief a lesson. Scum.
The first is always the worst![/quote]

After we'd safely got the bass back, we did head off to go and teach him a lesson. One of the lads from the support band had the foresight to call the police though.... and they caught up and pulled him over when we were about 5 seconds away from some tough justice. I think he had a lucky escape!

[quote post='152071' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:11 PM']Which bass did he make off with, you stay very mysterious the whole way through :huh:[/quote]

It was my Stingray... and at the time, the only decent bass I owned, which didn't help my heart rate one bit. As if that hadn't been enough, our van broke down, and the lead guitarist wrote his car off on the way home, all on the same night!!! Couldn't make it up if you tried :)

• 3 weeks later...

I played a gig last week at the Barfly, which has a pretty generous sized stage and therefore room to move. I don't remember dinging my bass at all that night. However, i just pulled out my bass now, to start noodling. I looked down after a few minutes and saw a great big ding on the frontside upper horn! :) It's my US Fender Precision, so not a cheapy. I was a bit shocked at first, but then it is my main gigging/workhorse bass. I don't mind achieving that well played/worn/gigged look. Guitars are meant to be played. As long as it's only cosmetic damage, it's ok. Bizarrely i now think it needs some more, so that it doesn't look like a one-off, lol.

I hope I have got the facts right, although I have a feeling that the passage of time may have "amended" some of the finer details, but a few years ago, I traded in a superb Manson "E" bass that Hugh had made for me, which had inlaid sharks up the fingerboard and had been quite personal to me. Adrian at Mansons was not sure that the bass would sell quickly, due to its uniqueness I guess, but apparently, a guy in the shop was watching as we did the deal, and as soon as I walked out, he bought it!

He was delighted with the bass, and took it across the arcade to a cafe, where he either phoned his mate or met him there, I'm not sure. He opened the case to take the bass out to show him, whereupon it fell out onto the concrete floor and snapped the headstock off! He must have been gutted. Anyway, he took it straight back to Mansons for what must have been an expensive repair (the bass was well over £2,000 new), so does this qualify as the quickest ever "trade in/resale/oh bugger" damage? Apologies if I have any of the facts wrong, but thats what I was told happened!