Why become a member? ×

improving

ianSB

why is it that im at a certain point in my bass playing that ive come to a point where i dont seem to be getting any better.
i practise regularly and get every week, are there any tips on what things i should learn. i cant slap bass very well and i want to learn a lot more about theory.
so i was hoping that someone on here could point me to somewhere that i could learn online and handy youtube videos ?

thanks

Ian

Do you have lessons?

If you personally feel that you cannot push your playing any further, the best thing you can do is get a teacher and they can help you do it.

Not only will they help you to learn new techniques (such as slap) but they will also make theory relevant to you and your instrument and show you how you can practically apply that theory, because they use theory on bass too!

Have a go at the basics of reading notation but don't get too hung up on trying to sight read in a week just enjoy the new found understanding of what goes where and why. I have been playing for nearly 25 years and have started taking a few lessons, Once you open a few fresh doors you will stomp off for ages on your own then when you feel your stuck again go for another lesson :)

Check out the 'bass clef YTS' thread for links to useful sites and apps etc.

What kind of stuff do you currently practice?

There is so much stuff that you can sit down and study-reading,chord studies,theory,scales and modes,walking....

Lessons are your best bet,but you can get a lot out of books like 'Serious Electric Bass', 'Chord Studies','Hanon- the virtuoso pianist' 'Building/Expanding Walking Basslines',the various 'Real Books','The Evolving Bassist'...There is a ton of material to study-and non of that is about technique.
Learning to slap will take a few hours,the other stuff will give you years of study.

Dead easy.

You've reached a plateau.

It's quite normal to hit them whilst learning anything that requires skill.

The solution is to just keep on practicing and don't worry about it, you'll probably progress past it and look back with astonishment once you've done it!

I hit this wall once...I found two problems with it:

1) I wasn't getting any better because I wasn't continuing to push...Some stuff is really daunting, but, one note at a time, you can learn anything. That and Procrastination kept me at plateau for quite a while.
2) You may think your not improving but when you look back at how hard something was about a month before you notice you actually HAVE gotten better, just not by leaps and bounds, so you never noticed.

Latch onto something you REALLY want to do but can't, and have a go. Even if it sounds really rubbish at first, it'll get better.
You can't slap very well? Right there you have a few years worth of material to look into, even if it means starting with some really cheesy typical slap, it's progress. (Recalls his early days of slap and shudders)
Theory is another massive area to delve into.

If you can't do this yourself, by all means a teacher may help as they can kick you into gear, or not depending on how they see things.
Either way, you've already left room for vast improvement and many years of happy practise. :-)
I wish you well in getting out of this rut.

Get notation down, then go through the grueling task (or not so) of playing through a Simandll double bass methods book. Your fretboard knowledge will be so much better after, you'll be amazed.

Also, if you can, get a lesson with Joe Hubbard. He's the don, seriously.

Are you in a band? If not, join one (or start your own).

Don't ignore the advice about getting lessons as they will help you big time.

Being in a band will improve your skills, especially an originals band.
I've looked at things I could play a few years apart & there's a huge difference. Being able to read the rest of the band when having a jam is a skill that can't be taught.

Also like a few have said, when we don't see change we think we're not learning. A few months back I started learning to double thumb & was rubbish, now without really noticing I'm much better at it (still no Vic) & when I first saw double thumbing & tried a little & thought to myself "I wish I could play like that"! I still can't, but I'm getting there one day at a time.

Beaten to it ^

Definitely join a band. If you're in a band with people in the same boat as you wanting to get better then you'll improve as you play. alternatively try and get into a band with a bunch of sh*t hot musicians and the difference in how good you are now and how good there are will either make you sh*t yourself or give you the encouragement you need to get better

Learning theory might not be as Hollywood as learning some slap licks but it will expand your utility much more, make you more useful to a band, and most importantly keep your playing fresh and stave off that feeling of 'I'm just playing the same old things every time I pick up the bass' which can be a real drag.

Maybe get one of the tutorial books that take you through the theory grades and a more specific bass instructional book/cd and see where that gets you. A little theory goes a long way, and a moderate amount of theory will make you the one-eyed king in the kingdom of blind local guitarists. :)

It's probably a good time to point out that theory as a learned subject is only half the battle, and further, as a technical subject is only useful for explaining the mechanics of music to others. Maybe folk should realise that it's how you utilise your knowledge of theory on the instrument that matters.

+1 for lessons. I've been having them for a month or two now and it's really helped to push me on. Hadn't played a gig since December and was flagging. Having goals to work towards and having a reason to practice (as well as betterment other reasons like not to wasting the tutor's time and my money spring to mind :) ) have really spurred me on again. Got a rehearsal/audition/jam with a new band next Thursday, really looking forward to it. Onwards and upwards!

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1255073' date='Jun 3 2011, 09:25 AM']It's probably a good time to point out that theory as a learned subject is only half the battle, and further, as a technical subject is only useful for explaining the mechanics of music to others. Maybe folk should realise that it's how you utilise your knowledge of theory on the instrument that matters.[/quote]

+100000

Garry

thanks for all the replies, its good to get other varying opinions on what i can do so ill take what people say on board.
i think lessons are gonna be on the agenda and buying a few books that have been recommended.
i do play in a band already.
our site is www.suicideblonderocks.co.uk if anyone cares :)
but thanks to all who replied

ian