Why become a member? ×

TC Electronics RH450 prices tumbling :)

molan

Looks like the imminent arrival of the RH750 is pushing new prices on the RH450 right down.

US dealers now selling these for just $569. That's about £360 plus shipping at maybe £35-£40 and even with full import duties you're only looking at around the £475 mark!

Seems like a great time to buy one of these :)

Edited by molan

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1248944' date='May 29 2011, 09:48 AM']I feel sorry for those that have a 450 and are now looking to sell to upgrade.

They will be lucky to get £400 for them. But then again the used Market will place it's own price on one used.[/quote]

I guess this sort of stuff happens all the time as models get upgraded or taken out of production but I have to admit that this particular example really is a huge price reduction.

Of course these big US discounts don't always help us much over here but the TC heads are power switching so they work just fine in the UK :)

I don't understand TC's thinking here.

Have they any idea about marketing strategies. By choosing this price point for the RH750 they've just screwed their entire current customer base by wiping out the second-hand value of TC amps. They've also trashed future sales of two of their own lines. Who's going to buy a Classic and RH450 now?

[quote name='molan' post='1248815' date='May 29 2011, 12:32 AM']Looks like the imminent arrival of the RH750 is pushing new prices on the RH450 right down.

US dealers now selling these for just $569. That's about £360 plus shipping at maybe £35-£40 and even with full import duties you're only looking at around the £475 mark!

Seems like a great time to buy one of these :)[/quote]

That is if the US music shops will ship to the UK.
I tried getting some Ampeg gear a few years back and some of the bigger stores, said they were not allowed to export, something to do with world Market price fixing.

Lucky for some if they do though.

[quote name='thebassman' post='1249013' date='May 29 2011, 11:29 AM']That is if the US music shops will ship to the UK.
I tried getting some Ampeg gear a few years back and some of the bigger stores, said they were not allowed to export, something to do with world Market price fixing.

Lucky for some if they do though.[/quote]

There are agreements between manufacturers and distributors/retailers but you can usually find someone far enough removed down the distribution chain who needs the sales and is prepared to keep mum about supplying to the UK. Manufacturers may not like it (especially when they've put these agreements in place) but they must realise that it happens and as has been pointed out, it is a kick in the nuts to anyone moving on an RH450/Classic!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1249595' date='May 29 2011, 07:16 PM']They are an absolute bargain for the new price.[/quote]

Absolutely!

I bought my second RH450 from Proaudiostar in New York - a really easy and quick service. Forget exactly what it came to in the end, but even with the unpleasant tax/duty add-on, it was still a bargain compared with the cheapest UK prices.

As for price drops & poor second hand value, it's no different from other technology markets where an upgrade will always dent resale value of previous version stock. Has it screwed existing owners? Of course not! I'm happy with both my RH450s, end of story. Like many, I find the RH750 a temptation (for me it's the dedicated compressor knob), but each has to decide if it's worth the upgrade cost - and for me it isn't (today!)

And the overall line-up from TC settles into Classic - RH450 - RH750 - Blacksmith. As long as there's enough of a pricing differential between them all, then each definitely has their place. Though I could see the RH450 possibly being dropped at some point.

Well, if I calculate what the cheapest price on ebay is for an RH450 (approx. 400 euro + 65 euro shipping) and add all the import duties in the Netherlands, it is only 100 euro cheaper than what I'd pay for it at my local music store (which is literally around the corner).

For that small difference I prefer to support my local vendor, and have the assurance that I can walk to them when any problems might occur.

[quote name='BasH' post='1251212' date='May 31 2011, 11:05 AM']Well, if I calculate what the cheapest price on ebay is for an RH450 (approx. 400 euro + 65 euro shipping) and add all the import duties in the Netherlands, it is only 100 euro cheaper than what I'd pay for it at my local music store (which is literally around the corner).

For that small difference I prefer to support my local vendor, and have the assurance that I can walk to them when any problems might occur.[/quote]
What are the import duties in Holland? It's a significant saving in the UK, especially if it slips through the HMC&E net.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1251228' date='May 31 2011, 12:11 PM']What are the import duties in Holland? It's a significant saving in the UK, especially if it slips through the HMC&E net.[/quote]

The import taxes are 6.7% * 19% over product + shipping/handling = 26% (but sometimes UPS/TNT/FedEx will add handling costs (so they'll do all the paper work) so in practice it might become 30% added to the US price + shipping).
Currently, the chances of an item slipping through customs unnoticed are almost zero over here...

What are they in the UK?

Maybe the biggest difference is the fact that the RH450 is slightly cheaper in the Netherlands vs. UK (at Dolphin music and Guitarguitar the UK price is higher than than the euro price in the Netherlands).

Edited by BasH

[quote name='BasH' post='1251418' date='May 31 2011, 01:15 PM']What are they in the UK?

Maybe the biggest difference is the fact that the RH450 is slightly cheaper in the Netherlands vs. UK.[/quote]
Approx 20% though as you say if the initial price is lower in Holland than the UK then it'd explain why it has been attractive to order from the States. Though that has to be a ridiculous scenario when a Danish Co. can export their products to The States and sell them cheaper than in a European country!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1251429' date='May 31 2011, 02:22 PM']Approx 20% though as you say if the initial price is lower in Holland than the UK then it'd explain why it has been attractive to order from the States. Though that has to be a ridiculous scenario when a Danish Co. can export their products to The States and sell them cheaper than in a European country![/quote]

Yeah, it is (its the same with Lego though).

If it is any consolation, the RH450 is more expensive in Denmark as well (it is even more expensive than Germany and the Netherlands).

Probably has to do (partly) with the fact that most players in the market are American, so competition is a bit tougher over there anyway (this combined with a lower costs because of the much larger market).

I just wanted to report my experience.

Inspired by Molan's first post in this thread (thanks Molan!), I decided to buy an RH450 from a dealer in the US.

I went with ProAudioStar (from Brooklyn, NYC) on eBay, partly inspired by Alec's positive report (thanks Alec!). The RH450 was $569 + $99 shipping + $17 insurance.

I bought it on Monday afternoon. It arrived *this morning*. I have no idea by what feat of magic this was achieved. What is also puzzling is that I didn't have to pay for import duty either, although I kind of expect I'll get an invoice for it in the post.

So far, the total cost to me is £422.

I also bought an RC4 controller from them, which was less of a bargain, and which was sent this morning so I can't report on that yet.

- martin

The RC4 is probably the best 'pedal addition' to any amp Ive ever seen. Some of them are pretty pointless or just dont look that great, but the TC pedal is built like a tank, looks like something Aguilar might come out with, and is actually very useful.

I can see TC having a huge hold on the bass market in the next 5 years or so.

[quote name='martindupras' post='1253663' date='Jun 2 2011, 10:26 AM']I also bought an RC4 controller from them, which was less of a bargain, and which was sent this morning so I can't report on that yet.[/quote]

Really cannot see the point of having an RH450, (or 750 ), without the floor pedal.

[quote name='martindupras' post='1253663' date='Jun 2 2011, 10:26 AM']I decided to buy an RH450 from a dealer in the US.[/quote]

Welcome to the club they really are fantastic amps :)

[quote]What is also puzzling is that I didn't have to pay for import duty either, although I kind of expect I'll get an invoice for it in the post. I also bought an RC4 controller from them, which was less of a bargain, and which was sent this morning so I can't report on that yet.[/quote]

You'll probably not get that delivered until you pay for the duty/VAT on both

Personally I wouldn't have done this but each to their own. Just remember it will have to go back to the states for any repair work in the event it's ever needed (and that will cost much more than any savings you made)

[quote name='martindupras' post='1253663' date='Jun 2 2011, 09:26 AM']I went with ProAudioStar (from Brooklyn, NYC) on eBay, partly inspired by Alec's positive report (thanks Alec!). The RH450 was $569 + $99 shipping + $17 insurance.[/quote]

Yup, their price & delivery is just astonishing! And, sadly, an invoice from FedEx *will* come along and sour the deal, but not by enough to make you regret it.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='1253731' date='Jun 2 2011, 10:15 AM']Really cannot see the point of having an RH450, (or 750 ), without the floor pedal.[/quote]

I have two RH450s, but no pedal. While it'd be somewhat neat not to have to turn round to check my tuning, that wouldn't outweigh the hassle of additional tut in the bag for me. So, although it's a cool pedal, it's not for me!