Why become a member? ×

Need a "disposable" cover song

Steve_nottm

Current covers band does mainly indie stuff (arctic monkeys, kings of leon, killers etc) and we're looking for a song to add to the setlist that's very current. Something everyone knows and loves, but will be old in about 6 months so we'll drop it and find another "current" hit.

The problem is that it's proving hard. Nothing that's charted recently seems to fit our style. Any ideas?

[quote name='Steve_nottm' post='1244298' date='May 25 2011, 02:35 PM']....Current covers band does mainly indie stuff (arctic monkeys, kings of leon, killers etc) and we're looking for a song to add to the setlist that's very current. Something everyone knows and loves, but will be old in about 6 months so we'll drop it and find another "current" hit....[/quote]
Surely by definition hit songs never get "old".

[quote name='Steve_nottm' post='1244298' date='May 25 2011, 02:35 PM']Current covers band does mainly indie stuff (arctic monkeys, kings of leon, killers etc) and we're looking for a song to add to the setlist that's very current. Something everyone knows and loves, but will be old in about 6 months so we'll drop it and find another "current" hit.

The problem is that it's proving hard. Nothing that's charted recently seems to fit our style. Any ideas?[/quote]

Born This Way - the indie version. Find a way to make it all your own.

Also, don't listen to me, I know nothing. :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1244317' date='May 25 2011, 02:50 PM']Take something Like Adele, Jessie J or anything that is on the "pop" channels and indie it up .[/quote]

+1

I've just done a couple of tracks by these myself, really easy stuff as well.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1244317' date='May 25 2011, 02:50 PM']Take something Like Adele, Jessie J or anything that is on the "pop" channels and indie it up .[/quote]

Like the way Adele de-Indied The Cure's 'lovesong'?

Yeah you could go around putting right what whiny singers have done to decent Cure songs for the sake of mobile phone adverts.

You could cover You Me At Six's version of Poker Face? Works really well, and the transition is already done for you!

That always seems to go down a storm with everyone when my band plays it for fun. It's current, but not really brand new. Get 'em singing every time.

edit: Oh, and we also recently covered Firework by Katy Perry. Thats a good 'un too!

Edited by thatgrantboy

[quote name='chaypup' post='1244304' date='May 25 2011, 02:41 PM']Aloe Blacc - I need a dollar.

Edit: Although it may not be your style - it's a great song![/quote]

As soon as I saw Steve's post I thought of this, but you beat me to it!

Can't really suggest something without knowing how you are going to or be able to deliver it, but for a gtr type riff and slamming bass, you could add..
Do it like a dude by Jess J... lyrics are a bit banal though and the song only really works with production as it gets vocally boring after a verse or two.
The band might have great fun with it for a while though.

It terms of songs though..as Chris says... hits that become very popular and covered generally have more about them and the song actually goes somewhere as opposed to being one
decent throwaway riff or line and after that nothing really happens.

Alternatively, you could always grab an old 50's/60's number and rock it up a little. We have great fun with Del Shannon's Runaway. It started as an off the cuff lark about, but has now become a permanent member of the set

[quote name='Norris' post='1245430' date='May 26 2011, 12:04 PM']Alternatively, you could always grab an old 50's/60's number and rock it up a little. We have great fun with Del Shannon's Runaway. It started as an off the cuff lark about, but has now become a permanent member of the set[/quote]

We had a similar experience with Rawhide.