Why become a member? ×

Terror Bass and barefaced

algmusic

I think I have a lot of GAS

I have the TB and the SP210.. I cranked in a rehearsal last night and I was really surprised it could really handle a really loud band, the room was really big and everyone was very loud and I still had more on tap. I'd usually use my MB 1x15 for bigger gigs, but I don't think I really need it now.

I've wanted to change the 1x15 as I think it's not perfect with the TB and sp210 am thinking about barefaced and I really like the idea of 12's

So does anyone have TB and the midget or supertwelve.. I have changed the valves to ones with a less kick so I get a lovely warm sound. I really play all styles on my old J Bass, but lean to a more vintage tone, but I do play mordern, poppy stuff also..

Opinions please.. I'm half tempted to sell the MB 1x15 and get another bass :-) rather than a cab, I'm curious about Barefaced and thought I would have another cab option for sound.. and if there is some in SE London or Kent, that has a barefaced cab, I'd love to have ago :-)

Edited by algmusic

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1238201' date='May 20 2011, 02:20 PM']In your circs, the SP210 would pair better with another SP210...being that they are isobaric etc.

Two SP210s would be very nice![/quote]

I have considered that.. I also thought about sp212 with my 210 hmm

[quote name='algmusic' post='1238207' date='May 20 2011, 02:22 PM']I have considered that.. I also thought about sp212 with my 210 hmm[/quote]

What about the little 1X12 they do?
Would add a nice sub element and be handy as a stand alone cab for practice or tiny gigs...

Eude

I have a Terror Bass and got my Midget last week. Only done one show so far, but I'm very impressed. It easily coped, backline only, with a six-piece band in a medium pub, with lots to spare. Beautiful, articulate, balanced, boom-free tone. I imagine the Super Twelve would be capable of anything but I think Alex was 100% right to recommend the Midget for my needs.

I play my re-valved OTB through a Midget at "rockier" gigs and at rehearsals, and through a Big One at larger and at more mellow gigs.

Tomorrow I'll be playing at a reasonably large open-air gig, so I'll put the Midget on top of the Big One.

Since putting this rig together (well over a year ago) I have had zero GAS for anything else.

[quote name='eude' post='1238271' date='May 20 2011, 03:09 PM']What about the little 1X12 they do?
Would add a nice sub element and be handy as a stand alone cab for practice or tiny gigs...

Eude[/quote]

Do you mean the barefaced midget (1x12)? That's one of my thoughts or do orange do a 1x12

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1238275' date='May 20 2011, 03:13 PM']I have a Terror Bass and got my Midget last week. Only done one show so far, but I'm very impressed. It easily coped, backline only, with a six-piece band in a medium pub, with lots to spare. Beautiful, articulate, balanced, boom-free tone. I imagine the Super Twelve would be capable of anything but I think Alex was 100% right to recommend the Midget for my needs.[/quote]

Sounds like the midget, might be the way forward... I think the super 12 just seems really cool :-) I live in Charlton (Greenwich side), If you don't mind, I'd love to give it a little try, if that's ok. I think you're based in Greenwich :-)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1238280' date='May 20 2011, 03:20 PM']I play my re-valved OTB through a Midget at "rockier" gigs and at rehearsals, and through a Big One at larger and at more mellow gigs.

Tomorrow I'll be playing at a reasonably large open-air gig, so I'll put the Midget on top of the Big One.

Since putting this rig together (well over a year ago) I have had zero GAS for anything else.[/quote]

hmm getting very interesting now..

[quote name='algmusic' post='1238285' date='May 20 2011, 03:28 PM']Sounds like the midget, might be the way forward... I think the super 12 just seems really cool :-) I live in Charlton (Greenwich side), If you don't mind, I'd love to give it a little try, if that's ok. I think you're based in Greenwich :-)[/quote]

Sure thing, I'm playing tonight and tomorrow but I'm around in the week, drop me a PM.

[quote name='algmusic' post='1238285' date='May 20 2011, 03:28 PM']Do you mean the barefaced midget (1x12)? That's one of my thoughts or do orange do a 1x12[/quote]

Sorry dude, I misread the thread...
Ignore what I said.

What I should've said is go with the Orange SP212 as an additional cab, that should sort you out :)
I don't think adding a Midget would offer you enough extra to justify the cost, but you could go with a Barefaced Compact, they're meant to put out a whole whack and like a lot of wattage.

Eude

I'm a bit dubious about mixing such dissimilar designs but sometimes it works. Driven by the Terror the Midget will play quite a lot louder and fatter than the SP210 - in fact it'll go louder than the SP212 with ease. But if the SP210 on its own does the job then it sounds like you're already sorted!

P.S. You'd need at least three SP212s to equal a Super Twelve in max SPL. Overkill! :)

I used the terror bass with both the compact (1x15) and then a midget (1x12)

I used it flat and with both you get a full ranged sound out of it which is only limited by the amps "vintage voice" which I noticed when I started using a markbass head.

The compact is a good choice as you get the clear highs with a better bass response than the midget, although the tb head has a lot of bass(when flat) so even with the midget you get quite a full sound.

Personally I would suggest the midget to anyone looking for a small, light and loud cab as for the money the cab is the best on the Market. The compact offers the same sound but bigger and better lows, which the terror bass isn't lacking.

I highly recommend either, I haven't head any other can out there that makes me want to change.

What alex has said above is true.
The midget will be louder and fatter than the sp210 and louder than the 212 but may lose a bit of lows in comparison, but nothing a little EQ can't sort out.

Edited by Prime_BASS

This is getting a little off-topic but....

A Compact is deep, loud, fat and creamy sounding (it's hard to use words to describe sound).

A Midget is loud and is a very useful cab if you like small and loud. It's a bit more "angry" sounding. I love the tone.

I prefer the Compact over the Midget if I was pushed to choose one cab, but they are both better than everything else I've heard or tried in 25 years of playing bass.

For bigger rooms, I use both together and the combination is deep, fat and very loud.

Alex offers a refund if you don't like his cabs. I don't know of any other cab manufacturer who offers this service.

I haven't tried a Supertwelve but it's got to be the ultimate one-cab solution. I intend to buy one soon.

Frank.

Just did a function in a tent and the sp210 and OTB was fine, act very nice pushing the cab with the new valves, that said we were using PA with subs.. I rarely do gigs now without PA with subs, so I'm wondering whether I got with the midget, then I have a choice of cabs tone.. on very very rare occasions, I night use them together.. (gig with no Subs)

on the flip side, I could just look at the sp212 then I have to matched cabs and the choice of 12's or 10's by themselves.. I think it's because Barefaced seem to be the only cab that I don't hear any negative feedback, which makes me curious.. Everyone has their own tastes, but these cabs seem to have something about them

I'll try KK Jale's Midget in the next few days and see how it goes...

Of course the other option is the compact..

[quote name='algmusic' post='1238918' date='May 21 2011, 02:33 AM']Just did a function in a tent and the sp210 and OTB was fine, act very nice pushing the cab with the new valves, that said we were using PA with subs.. I rarely do gigs now without PA with subs, so I'm wondering whether I got with the midget, then I have a choice of cabs tone.. on very very rare occasions, I night use them together.. (gig with no Subs)[/quote]

Did you use the DI output from the OTB into the PA (sorry about the alphabet soup!)?

Reason I ask is that, at our open-air gig yesterday, we actually had TWO mixers for various reasons, with the other guy's mixer driving a pair of 2x15 cabs.

We tried DI-ing from my OTB into his mixer and had the classic OTB problem of massively over-loaded signal ... it was clipping on the desk with the gain set to zero.

Now I know for a fact that re-valving my OTB has cut the gain by over 30%, including through the DI channel when I run into my own mixer, so I was deeply puzzled by this.

What was your experience?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1240569' date='May 22 2011, 05:41 PM']Did you use the DI output from the OTB into the PA (sorry about the alphabet soup!)?

Reason I ask is that, at our open-air gig yesterday, we actually had TWO mixers for various reasons, with the other guy's mixer driving a pair of 2x15 cabs.

We tried DI-ing from my OTB into his mixer and had the classic OTB problem of massively over-loaded signal ... it was clipping on the desk with the gain set to zero.

Now I know for a fact that re-valving my OTB has cut the gain by over 30%, including through the DI channel when I run into my own mixer, so I was deeply puzzled by this.

What was your experience?[/quote]

I was using it via DI and I mentioned to the PA guy it could be hot.. he put a pad on it, I'm not sure if it was 10 or 20 cut, be he had no problems. I still have my 40db in-line attenuator in the the OTB bag, just incase. I think the DI is still a bit hot, but I need to have a play on my audio interface at home to work out if it's a 10, 20 or 40 cut, as the 40db cut maybe too much..

A good PA mixer will handle it as they have lots of scope, but an attenuator might be needed for normal mixers.

(advance apologies to those that have read me saying this before...)

excuse the mess, the house has been refurbed since then, and the peavey's gone. over one year later one im still running the as-shipped OTB through a 2nd hand compact bought 2nd hand from a gent on here. for my needs (heavy sometimes clear but mostly a Big Muff distorted bass in a doom/stoner rock band) this setup is awesome. I cant believe (neither can my band :)) the volume and oomff that it puts out. I rarely play past 5 on gain and volume, it's just too loud!! as for tone, im not as fussy (experienced) as most, but when i drop off the distortion it's nice and clear. i'd recommend trying it to anyone.

Indeed the OTBs DI out is IIRC about 14 dbs above whatever the norm is. This maybe BS but IDK.

Wow.

Anyway personally I think that the OTB is a very good match for the midget but you definatly won't get as much treble response than a more hi fi head, also if you end up needing more you just get another midget.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1241062' date='May 23 2011, 12:44 AM']Indeed the OTBs DI out is IIRC about 14 dbs above whatever the norm is. This maybe BS but IDK.

Wow.

Anyway personally I think that the OTB is a very good match for the midget but you definatly won't get as much treble response than a more hi fi head, also if you end up needing more you just get another midget.[/quote]

With or without tweeter?.. I must admit, I don't miss it on my sp210..

I'll get my LM3 back one day for the more modern stuff.. but more than happy with the OTB

Well, I'm gonna try the midget shortly

Right, after trying The midget and OTB with my bass at KK Jale's gaff.. I think, I'm gonna put an order in for the midget and sell my MB 1x15.. Then I have two nice cab.. If I like the BF as much as I think I do, I might by the compact 2nd later.. and sell the sp210.. but not if I'll give up the sp210

[quote name='algmusic' post='1242456' date='May 23 2011, 11:24 PM']Right, after trying The midget and OTB with my bass at KK Jale's gaff.. I think, I'm gonna put an order in for the midget and sell my MB 1x15.. Then I have two nice cab.. If I like the BF as much as I think I do, I might by the compact 2nd later.. and sell the sp210.. but not if I'll give up the sp210[/quote]

Using the SP210 and midget together, the SP210 is a quiet cab (I used to have one) due to the isobaric design, whereas the Barefaced ones have high sensitivity so will probably be a lot louder than the SP210 if you run them in parallel. The Barefaced might overpower the SP210 so much it might not be worth using the SP210 at all.

I love my barefaced though.... S12T owner :)

[quote name='aldude' post='1242890' date='May 24 2011, 01:06 PM']Using the SP210 and midget together, the SP210 is a quiet cab (I used to have one) due to the isobaric design, whereas the Barefaced ones have high sensitivity so will probably be a lot louder than the SP210 if you run them in parallel. The Barefaced might overpower the SP210 so much it might not be worth using the SP210 at all.

I love my barefaced though.... S12T owner :)[/quote]

I've written off really using them together. The chance of need that much power, is highly unlikely, as biggest gigs without PA are small to meduim sized pub, if the gigs need a big rig, then I'll probably change the sp210 for a compact, if I get on with BF.. if this doesn't happen I'll get the more expensive, sp212 option and sell the midget

I do think you get a bit more bottomed from the sp210 over the midget, but the sound is so appealing. The midget is so sexy with the silver grill.. and so so light, and the orange isn't heavy..

Compact plus Midget whould be plenty loud.. Or just bite the bullet and get a BF Super Twelve - mine is astonishingly loud with either my RH450 or H&K BassBase600.... Easily as loud (and nicer) as one of my EBS Proline 410's (but not both of them!)

[quote name='algmusic' post='1242948' date='May 24 2011, 01:48 PM']I've written off really using them together. The chance of need that much power, is highly unlikely, as biggest gigs without PA are small to meduim sized pub, if the gigs need a big rig, then I'll probably change the sp210 for a compact, if I get on with BF.. if this doesn't happen I'll get the more expensive, sp212 option and sell the midget

I do think you get a bit more bottomed from the sp210 over the midget, but the sound is so appealing. The midget is so sexy with the silver grill.. and so so light, and the orange isn't heavy..[/quote]