Why become a member? ×

Busted left shoulder

algmusic

I work 50/50 as a musician and office bod I've injured my left shoulder (still don't know how).. I've had a MRI scan and am awaiting the results (+3 weeks). My GP think's its rotator cuff tear, so I just need to rest it, but decided I should get a scan as a precaution.. I play both drums and bass. On drums, I have no problem playing, but I just need to take my time setting up my gear, but my problem is bass...

my padded strap goes straight over my left shoulder, and I had to play my last gig on pain killers ;-(. Recording sessions are fine, but live OUCH.. I'm worried at the mo as I don't like taking pain killers to gig, but the pain is on the top part of my shoulder, my next gig is on friday and I'm considering using a stool..

Any tips, alternative straps etc.. Taking time of bass or drums technically mean halfing my income, so this isn't really an option

So my question is help.. :)

[quote name='algmusic' post='1233021' date='May 16 2011, 01:45 PM']my padded strap goes straight over my left shoulder, and I had to play my last gig on pain killers ;-(. Recording sessions are fine, but live OUCH.. I'm worried at the mo as I don't like taking pain killers to gig, but the pain is on the top part of my shoulder, my next gig is on friday and I'm considering using a stool..[/quote]

I had a similar problem when I fractured my collarbone in a motorbike accident a few years back; to be honest, even with the lightest bass I had at the time (a short-scale Tanglewood semi) playing it strapped-on for more than ten minutes or so was simply impossible, ended up on a stool (well, actually a flightcase in the end, which looked far cooler :))

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='1233026' date='May 16 2011, 01:53 PM']I had a similar problem when I fractured my collarbone in a motorbike accident a few years back; to be honest, even with the lightest bass I had at the time (a short-scale Tanglewood semi) playing it strapped-on for more than ten minutes or so was simply impossible, ended up on a stool (well, actually a flightcase in the end, which looked far cooler :))[/quote]

Flightcase, sounds cool for the 'band'gigs. I might need to style it up for the sh8tty function gigs.. shiney flightcase :-)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1233035' date='May 16 2011, 01:57 PM']Try the strap over the right shoulder. It will feel strange at first but the bass remains in a playable position and, depending on the music you are playing, it should be useable?[/quote]

The gig on Friday is a soul pop function, that might work.. I might practice at home and give it a try

So far two good options..

Any more ideas?

To be honest mate a stool is gonna be your best bet.

I've seen one of two straps which go around the waist but not in years, they're pretty rare from the looks of things.
Saw ZZ top use them in one of their videos I think.

[quote name='Ross' post='1233042' date='May 16 2011, 02:00 PM']I've seen one of two straps which go around the waist but not in years, they're pretty rare from the looks of things.
Saw ZZ top use them in one of their videos I think.[/quote]
That will be the [url="http://www.wittman-spins.com/spinstraps.html"]Wittman Spinstrap[/url].

It might take a while to get here from the US, but it will allow you to spin your bass round ZZ Top style!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1233091' date='May 16 2011, 02:30 PM']That will be the [url="http://www.wittman-spins.com/spinstraps.html"]Wittman Spinstrap[/url].

It might take a while to get here from the US, but it will allow you to spin your bass round ZZ Top style![/quote]

shame about the price !! :)

$129.95 + $5.00 S&H ($26 foreign)

The double strap might be an option, but it looks like Adrian on a stool for a while.. I just hope I don't lose work from new customers.. some people are so stupid on the 'image' thing..

I could be like the singer from the mystery jets and get a cool-stool :-)

[quote name='yorick' post='1233085' date='May 16 2011, 02:27 PM']How about one of these...

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/planet_waves_50dare000_gitarrengurt.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/planet_waves_50da...itarrengurt.htm[/url][/quote]

I've used both the Dare and the Slider straps. The Dare is IMHO by far the better of the two, but neither of them can avoid placing at least 50% of the weight on your left shoulder.

I routinely choose to play up to a third of every gig sitting down, partly because it's more comfortable, and partly because ... well ... I can. :)

Get yourself one of these - [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinsman-KGS-Guitarists-Dual-Stool/dp/B0030GIGW0"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinsman-KGS-Guitar...l/dp/B0030GIGW0[/url]

Light, folds away to almost nothing, very practical, and keeps your bass safe during the break too.

[quote name='algmusic' post='1233021' date='May 16 2011, 01:45 PM']Taking time of bass or drums technically mean halfing my income, so this isn't really an option[/quote]
Yes, your income will suffer in the short term, but allowing the injury to heal properly will probably avoid you having all sorts of reoccurring problems in the future, which could cause you a greater loss of income over time or could even mean you have to give up playing for good.

Use a stool - you may get some stick for it but so what? I use one whenever I can, and after a few years of getting dodgy looks from bandmates I've noticed a few guys following suit. If it's a gig that it might look out of place sitting down, get a high stool, with a high foot rest, and semi sit/stand - ie: with your left foot on the ground and your right foot on the foot rest, giving support to your bass. It might help to explain what's going on to the band leader or anyone else that might have a problem with it.

I do sympathise - I did a few gigs with a broken collarbone years ago (thankfully on my right side, not the strap side) but I still needed help getting the bass over my head. Get some rest!!!!

I toured with a French rock band a few years ago; we crossed a group whose bass player had his left arm in plaster. He played his bass part on keyboards for the tour, while his arm healed. One wouldn't have noticed musically. Do you play keyboards (can be useful..!)

[quote name='Dad3353' post='1233123' date='May 16 2011, 03:02 PM']I toured with a French rock band a few years ago; we crossed a group whose bass player had his left arm in plaster. He played his bass part on keyboards for the tour, while his arm healed. One wouldn't have noticed musically. Do you play keyboards (can be useful..!)[/quote]

That's commitment.!!. I'm not good enough to earn money on keys...

Thank guys, It's tricky one, as the best option is not to play, but I kinda like having a roof over my head, so I think I'll look into that stool with bass stand.. (one less thing to carry for gigs also).. I'm glad I use light amps and cabs..

I'll try and style it out, or at least hang out near the back sitting down :-)

Screw half a broomhandle to the back of your Bass' body, then play it standing up like you would a double bass. Didnt early Fenders have a metal rod that you could pull out for this ?

Seriously though, strap on the right shoulder ala Freddie King soundls like the best bet. might even start a new craze.

Good luck !

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='1233162' date='May 16 2011, 03:35 PM']Screw half a broomhandle to the back of your Bass' body, then play it standing up like you would a double bass. Didnt early Fenders have a metal rod that you could pull out for this ?

Seriously though, strap on the right shoulder ala Freddie King soundls like the best bet. might even start a new craze.

Good luck ![/quote]
:)

Get the GP to refer you to a physio and don't take no for an answer. Stress the importance of your music and how it contributes to your income - make them understand it's not just a hobby.

Do everything the physio tells you to do and ask them for advice as required.

If you don't have succes with this route, contact BAPAM (a google search will give you contact details).

Lastly, good luck with the recovery !

T

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1233425' date='May 16 2011, 06:53 PM']Get the GP to refer you to a physio and don't take no for an answer. Stress the importance of your music and how it contributes to your income - make them understand it's not just a hobby.

Do everything the physio tells you to do and ask them for advice as required.

If you don't have succes with this route, contact BAPAM (a google search will give you contact details).

Lastly, good luck with the recovery !

T[/quote]

thanks for that.. my GP is pretty good, but I'll get on that

I had a rotator cuff tear on my right shoulder last year (a screwdriver injury ffs!), so it was less problematic than the left would have been, but was still not great...

My GP referred me to a good physio who gave me some exercises and also did some accupuncture, which definitely helped it settle down pretty quickly (within a few weeks). Of course it depends how bad your injury is, but I think the key is getting the balance between rest and mobility right. Some gentle swimming perhaps? But definitely try and see a physio and get their advice.

On a more general 'bass playing' health related note, I took up yoga 6 months ago as I had been having some problems with my back for a couple of years. I work in IT and all the years sat at a desk were beginning to take their toll - this was also having a negative effect on my ability to play bass, particularly when standing. I would highly recommend this to anyone who plays bass - it has made a huge difference to my overall levels of physical strength, stamina, balance and co-ordination. I wouldn't say my back is completely cured - I still get the odd niggle, but the frequency is a lot less (and diminishing over time) and my ability to deal with it is a lot better.

[quote name='JellyKnees' post='1234215' date='May 17 2011, 12:53 PM']I had a rotator cuff tear on my right shoulder last year (a screwdriver injury ffs!), so it was less problematic than the left would have been, but was still not great...

My GP referred me to a good physio who gave me some exercises and also did some accupuncture, which definitely helped it settle down pretty quickly (within a few weeks). Of course it depends how bad your injury is, but I think the key is getting the balance between rest and mobility right. Some gentle swimming perhaps? But definitely try and see a physio and get their advice.

On a more general 'bass playing' health related note, I took up yoga 6 months ago as I had been having some problems with my back for a couple of years. I work in IT and all the years sat at a desk were beginning to take their toll - this was also having a negative effect on my ability to play bass, particularly when standing. I would highly recommend this to anyone who plays bass - it has made a huge difference to my overall levels of physical strength, stamina, balance and co-ordination. I wouldn't say my back is completely cured - I still get the odd niggle, but the frequency is a lot less (and diminishing over time) and my ability to deal with it is a lot better.[/quote]

Thanks, I used to swim and I play hockey (in the winter season).. I'll give that a go

It would be to your advantage to have your shoulder assessed by a physio and ask if swimming is advisable before taking up swimming. Swimming can be good for shoulders in the right circumstances, but potentially very nasty in the wrong circumstances. Your physio will be able to tell you more :)

T

I've been treated twice for cuff tears over the past few years, don't strain it whatever you do. Try and play sat down with your left elbow as close to your ribs as you comfortably can, and keep all the weight of the bass on your leg. (which will probably give you cramp in the right leg, it did with me!) Can't stress enough how much you need a good physioterrorist. Any scarring in the cuff will lead to permanent problems, so look after it.

Feelin' for ya!

Thanks guys, I have a rehearsal tonight and a gig tomorrow. The kinsman stool/stand arrived, it seems quite nice, lets see who it goes during the practice.. I might use my drum seat, if that doesn't work.. either way the stool is great for duo gigs

rehearsal was painless on the stool.. It's like drumming, but with less to pack up :-)

Function tonight, let's see how that goes, I'll hang at the back :-)

I should get my results on Monday, so fingers crossed I 'll be playing hockey in the autumn..