Why become a member? ×

How was last night's gig?

okusman

I was optomistic....Nice village location in the Cotswolds. 200 guests for the evening 'do'.....

HOWEVER....

Forced to get there VERY early to have background music while they ate....and the groom forgot his Ipod!
"Don't worry...we've got an Ipod with appropriate music on..."

Groom then realised the "First Dance" was on his Ipod!
"Don't worry...we'll download it from ITunes and sort it out for you"

Set up gig and retired to the pub across the road....Hmmmm....very scary locals who wanted to fight the band....errr...couple of pints and get the hell out...

Back to gig, and concerned by the number of tatooed/bleached haired female guests assembled...

First set great...went down a storm...retire outside with a plate of food...

Joined by Trace & San from the Fat Sl*gs cartoon strip who proceed to eat MY food and belch and hiccup.....I wanna go home.

Payment received..redouble efforts for the second set.

Going well...but everyone is blind drunk....

Bride and groom leaving now....The whole audience disappear....we're playing to the bar staff....

Knock it on the head and get the hell out of it!

Packed up and on the M5 in less than an hour.

Who'd play in a band ehh!

My highlight of the evening was the drummer inserting Sherbet Lemons up his nose...and them getting stuck...FACEBOOK seemed the obvious place for the picture.

What about you lot?
:)

Sounds like a good night.

Many years ago both as a roadie and a player, there were frequent "Will we get out of here alive/with all our gear/with payment" moments - but that's the whole point - the chase is better than the catch.

.....but this bit......

[quote name='okusman' post='1231733' date='May 15 2011, 10:46 AM']My highlight of the evening was the drummer inserting Sherbet Lemons up his nose...and them getting stuck...FACEBOOK seemed the obvious place for the picture.

:)[/quote]

......I always thought you needed hand/eye co-ordination to be a drummer.

Next time - tell him that if he sucks them first, and they shouldn't get stuck.

A bit like [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7919&pid=1231555&st=2300&#entry1231555"]THIS[/url] :lol:

First set OK but with added mistakes. Second set went much better and got more so as alc was imbibed by the crowd.

Ended with Steve (vocalist) being used as a human pole dancerd pole for the second gig running :) Think he might have got some grief from 'er indoors later, though I have no idea why.

Hopefully some vids to come from it.

Scariest in the past was many moons ago when we played a local bikers wedding and they would not let us go / were setting light to their passed out brethren :)

Edited by WalMan

Didn't have one last night, it was on friday instead. We won a Battle of the Bands so we got a free 8 hour studio session which is all good, our set went down extremely well with the crowd aswell. Only hiccup was losing power to all of the bass amps before it started so we didnt get a chance to soundcheck.

Liam

I mentioned in an earlier thread that I was playing in Oban last night....well!!!....apart from the long haul up there,it usually is a top gig for us,but last night was a bit flat....the pub wasn't as busy as it usually was....we had sound troubles in the first half.The singer,who hasn't been well recently was having trouble hearing and remembering his guitar parts.....apart from that we went down well,got paid and got home at around 3.30 this morning...bloody tired!

Mine was really great, lovely crowd, nice marquee... the only slight hiccup of the night was the power going down first set, turned out a switch got knocked. At the end of the night once we'd finished, the organiser attempted to have a whip round with the guests to keep us playing (another girl suggested to me that we were stupid to pass this suggestion up as everyone at the party was in her own words 'inordinately rich').

Two gigs yesterday. First one at Salisbury Arts Centre doing a jazz lunch - we are a funk/soul band so that was interesting. Sold a few CDs and had a lovely free lunch. Nice polite aplause after each track.

Second gig in the evening was absolutley rammed. Queues to get into the venue all night. The dancing started on the second track and didn't stop till the third encore. This is a great venue for us which we have been playing for almost 4 years. Free drinks for the band and quite well paid and loads of very nice young ladies strutting their stuff. Nice.

It was a good gig last night at George IV in Chiswick, only our second one with a new drummer. That meant a lot of nodding and cueing and failed lip-reading for me - I really should be better at it by now...... We went down well and there was a good crowd including our own Happy Jack.

The night before, we were at Ain't Nothing But the Blues in Soho. There's a Behringer combo as the house bass amp which I use because you can't park near enough to make it practical to take a double bass and your own amp. After wrestling to carry it upstairs from the store room and struggling through the crowd, it packed up in the middle of set 2. I plugged into the PA between songs and got a much better sound so I know what I'll be doing next time!

Glad of a rest today!

Dick Venom & The Terrortones headlining at the 12 Bar on Denmark Strret. Cool looking venue with an small but high stage. Wondering how Mr Venom was going to get on with that. Quick line check the get familiar with the amps and check Mr Venom's Mic and Theremin DI. Off to get some Sushi.

Return to the venue to find it packed. Looking good. Bands before us all sound fantastic. Plenty of people have turned specially to see us. However it's getting late and we reach the time when we had been told we'd be starting and the band before us are still playing. Luckily we heard the words "this is our last song" and start to get ready to set up...

Only to be met by the sound guy telling us that the evening has overrun really badly and there's still another band to play. Not only that but they turn out to be pretty dismal both musically and performance-wise. The place looks like it's emptying and several of our friends are mumbling about last buses etc. This is bringing back memories of a previous London gig I did with SugarBox where I ended up playing to 3 people who'd travelled with the band an 2 friends who lived in London. Not looking so good now.

Finally the band finish to minimal applause, and we hurriedly set up. No waiting. The moment our drummer has finished positioning the cymbals we kick into our opening song...

And it's just mental. The room looks packed. Mr Venom is lost in the audience somewhere, the only way we know he's still there is because we can hear vocals. The there are people dancing like mad men down the front. Mr Venom appears briefly to play the theremin and then disappears into the throng again. Next time I see him he's handing upside down from one of the beams. His mic stops working 2 numbers before the end, put the sound guy sorts and replacement and we pile through the closing songs. Awesome! plenty of positive comments about the performance while we're packing up and looks as though we have 2 more London gigs as a result. One of the doormen tells that while we were on-stage everyone in the bar was in the band room watching us - something that very rarely occurs!

I depped with a band supporting Eureka Machines in Kent last night. All went okay -- but I was p-ed off that our band's singer/guitarist screwed up their speedy version of The Real Me that I'd put in a fair bit of work to learn.

But a good laugh, nonetheless.

Cheers

Mark

Good. Our former trombonist was in town for the night so he played a few tunes with us, and we got to catch up with his friends who we haven't seen for a while. Crowd were good, performance was good, sound was good, but I was a bit sad because I only have two more shows left with this band before I'm quitting. :)

Which is a shame because I love being in this band. :)

• 1 month later...

Last night was my FIRST EVER gig, so I am just relieved i got through it.

I've only been learning since February. I have good friend who writes and sings comedy songs and he asked me to play bass on 5 songs at a charity gig.
He was on guitar,bass drum and kazoo and there was also a banjo player.

Well, I hit a few bum notes but at least I didn't drop anything or fall over! I had to stop playing completely during the banjo 'solo' as he seemed to be swithching from G to D in a totally random fashion that I just couldn't grasp!!

Luckily I knew most of the people in the audience so they were all very complimentary afterwards. And we raised £100 for the charity which was the main thing.

I've been doing acting and dancing since the age six, so am quite used to performing, but this was a whole new thing for me! I have never been so nervous in my life! But of course am now hoping there will be an opportunity for another one, now I've been bitten by the bug! :)

Played my local on Saturday. Very odd. Stuck behind a pillar that cut off the view. Did OK but it was hard to work the crowd like usual from behind it. Kind of like playing musical hide and seek.
New songs went down well which is pleasing.
Happy Jack informs me that the D&G strings weren't cutting through as much as the E&A on the Precision so it was out with the screwdriver yesterday. No problems second set with the Rerovibe. Two bassesin one gig. I'm almost Adam Clayton...
Pub gigs are fun and the money's handy for band funds but I'm really looking forward to playing for 45 minutes on a proper stage again on the 8th July. Two sets is hard work with originals in a boozer.

Did the Shipston Prom on Saturday with our 'village project,' FiddleBop which is a Django/Gypsy trio of violin/gtr/double bass. We were booked to play the Horsehoe and when we arrived, the landlord told us that if we plugged just one plug in he'd be closed down. Pity the Prom organisers hadn't let us know. So we did two 45 min sets completely acoustically with not an amp in sight and went down very well. The landlord, Baggy, was well pleased, wants us back soon.

Seems I'm having more fun than with my 'proper' band.

Saturday night - small pub (two towns up the coast) Christmas Party - that's right, 25th JUNE!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely crazy night - Christmas Dinner with all the trimmings being served, complete with roaring log fire and packed to the seams with happy punters.

We played a 60's list - two sets (first was not too good but the crowd loved it) the second of which was mad.

They wanted fast British 60s Rnb which we gave 'em including a long version of Boom Boom Boom a la Animals / Yardbirds.

The pub passed round the bucket for a local charity and collected more than we were paid (which is great) and then asked us to play again in December with a major increase in pay!

Yeah, we really enjoyed it and crawled home at about 1 o'clock, knackered and still sweating.

Rock'n'Roll.................................... :)

[quote name='Jazzneck' post='1283900' date='Jun 27 2011, 11:40 AM']Saturday night - small pub (two towns up the coast) Christmas Party - that's right, 25th JUNE!!!!!!!!!

The pub passed round the bucket for a local charity and collected more than we were paid (which is great) and then asked us to play again in December with a major increase in pay![/quote]

So, the December gig's got to be a summer solstice job. Complete with druids and a cardboard Stonehenge.

[quote name='seashell' post='1283779' date='Jun 27 2011, 10:15 AM']Last night was my FIRST EVER gig, so I am just relieved i got through it.

I've only been learning since February. I have good friend who writes and sings comedy songs and he asked me to play bass on 5 songs at a charity gig.
He was on guitar,bass drum and kazoo and there was also a banjo player.

Well, I hit a few bum notes but at least I didn't drop anything or fall over! I had to stop playing completely during the banjo 'solo' as he seemed to be swithching from G to D in a totally random fashion that I just couldn't grasp!!

Luckily I knew most of the people in the audience so they were all very complimentary afterwards. And we raised £100 for the charity which was the main thing.

I've been doing acting and dancing since the age six, so am quite used to performing, but this was a whole new thing for me! I have never been so nervous in my life! But of course am now hoping there will be an opportunity for another one, now I've been bitten by the bug! :)[/quote]

Excellent! Congratulations on having such a good time at your first gig. You did the right thing stepping away from the banjo solo. Less chance of being hit by a stray bullet.
Now you've got the bug, what's next? :)

Thanks Len! :)

Well I got a text from the singer/songwriter yesterday saying 'bloody well done last night, how does it feel to be a musician?'. I was dead chuffed. He said he'd like me to play with him again which is great. But it depends on the occasion really. He's mostly just a one man act and just brings in guests if the occasion demands.

So I think I'll just kep practicising and see what happens. :)