Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What strings do you use on your fretless?

gub

OK, I'm a relative newbie but I've just put Rotosound TruBass black nylon-wound strings on my bass. The sound is awesome. It now sounds more like a [i]bass[/i] and less like a [i]guitar[/i] :) . Despite the apparent heavy gauge, they seem easier to play than standard gauge steel-would strings IMO.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1230167' date='May 13 2011, 05:22 PM']Rotosound Swing bass 66[/quote]

I had a fretless CIJ jazz last year. That really came to life with a set of the Rotosounds on it. It didn't sound right with any others. Even though I generally prefer nickel strings on my basses.

[quote name='muttley' post='1230155' date='May 13 2011, 05:03 PM']Despite the apparent heavy gauge, they seem easier to play than standard gauge steel-would strings IMO.[/quote]

IIRC tension is to do with core gauge rather than total string gauge. As a rule of thumb a thicker string will generally have a thicker core, but it's not foolproof, strings can have thinner cores and thicker windings. :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1230188' date='May 13 2011, 05:34 PM']I can see this is going to be a long list of all the string makes.[/quote]

In which case can I be the first to say........TI flats. Maybe not the 'classic' fretless sound that worn in DR Sunbeams gave me, but more thump, and still very funky and responsive (and kinder to the rosewood board).

My old bass teacher, Laurence Canty, suggested using a lighter gauge on my fretless than on my fretted. The reasons are lost in the mists of time but are probably related to vibrato & expression. I've stuck with it for 20+ years now and it works for me.

So, I use 0.40-0.95 D'Addario XLs. I might try the ProSteels next time.

lots of different ones then ! i am hoping to get a nice mwaaa with some bite , and nice overtones ,hopefully the odd harmonic , not into dull dead tones at all , or is this wishful thinking ? am new to this fretless lark so you will have to bear with me , i will be using them on a standard fender jazz with rosewood finger board btw .

Edited by gub

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1230229' date='May 13 2011, 05:59 PM']IIRC tension is to do with core gauge rather than total string gauge. As a rule of thumb a thicker string will generally have a thicker core, but it's not foolproof, strings can have thinner cores and thicker windings. :)[/quote]
Tension is dependent on pitch, string length, and mass per unit length of the string.