Why become a member? ×

Getting on stage movement

Thurbs

When I practice at home I tend to walk/move around while I'm playing - that somehow feels more natural than standing in the one spot.

But the real problem is that at gigs the stage area is invariably too small to allow any sort of movement (whether vertically or laterally) without risking personal injury and/or damaged gear. Even in the larger venues, I always end up with a small patch about 1 metre square between the rhythm guitarist and the side of the stage. :)

[quote name='megallica' post='1227400' date='May 11 2011, 12:30 PM']One of my friends joined a new band and one time we went to see them play and we could hear a bass being played but no bass player on stage.
At the end of the set we realised that the bass player was hiding behind a pillar on stage left as he was a bit shy.[/quote]

Oh that rings an embarassing bell.
I did exactly the same thing when I did my first gig as a teenager.
All the audience could see was a bit of bass guitar neck and a hand... :)

[quote name='risingson' post='1227443' date='May 11 2011, 12:00 PM']Been practicing my cowstep recently, just can't get it down as well as Sting and his band can from 4:12 onwards.

[/quote]

Oh dear. Is there a *cringe* smiley.... :)

I've always found it depends on how well I know the material plus, as a few have said, size of stage.

On the size of stage thing I think there's a sidenote though! Some of the most energetic gigs I've had have been tiny venues because of the vibe from the audience! If there's a packe venue's worth of people in front of you going mad, it kinda can't be helped but to jump around a bit! We tried coreographed moves once and immediately sacked them off, realising we looked incredibly cheesy and naff!

Definitely a vibe thing though! If you feel it, go for it!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1J54W95NEk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1J54W95NEk[/url]

about 1.05 in, or

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7OCbeXy_5w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7OCbeXy_5w[/url]

Never could manage that Shadows one meself. Stopped jumping around much years ago, when I made a leap onto a 3 foot high drum riser and only just about made it

Edited by Slipperydick

I just kind of move on stage, came naturally to me.
Moving about, climbing, jumping off things.

If I'm playing a particular difficult bit I will stop in my tracks though.

I keep telling myself, amps aren't built to take 21 stone blokes on top. It's a matter of time before one collapses I reckon.

Edited by Ross

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1227273' date='May 11 2011, 10:59 AM']Its hard to play a double bass with your foot on a monitor.

I also think it is pertinent to note that the rebellious 'smash the gear up in a fit of pre-pubescent pique' thing doesn't really work when you are 47, overweight and playing Lush Life. That rebel without a cause thing was started by the likes off Jerry Lee Lewis in 1849 and is a bit tired now anyway but watching it done by middle aged old farts who drove to the gig in a Volvo with a 10 plate is a bit sad.

Even if they [i]are[/i] called Iron Maiden.[/quote]

I think I love you. In a purely plutonic sense obviously.

I like to be animated on stage, and I do 'practice' that side of things at home and during rehearsals - partly because I get into playing and can't help it, but also because it's useful to know what you can do without messing up what you're playing. I figure that's worth knowing before trying to pull it off first time in front of an audience and finding out that no, you can't make that jump and play at the same time.
What I don't do is choreograph moves. I don't think 'Okay, soduring the breakdown to 'Urban Guerilla' ' I'm going to do this or that move'. I do what feels good at the time.

Its something I'm working on at the moment as the guitarist in my originals band wears lead boots that he can't stop staring at so its down to me and our singer to provide all movement on stage. In the covers band though I can happily stand still at the back without moving at all cos the singer and guitarist are much more active.

I won't be practising at home but will be making more of an effort not to be static on stage and show how much I'm enjoying myself.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1227557' date='May 11 2011, 02:04 PM']These chaps have the right idea:-

[/quote]

heres the polar oposite - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lxwlgyhhA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lxwlgyhhA[/url]

Never been able to stand still & play, just get into it & off on it & follow the groove. Always on the move but have had to calm it down due to doing lead vox as well as bass, kept getting caught away from the mic when I should have been singing. New originals project though just playing bass & the odd backing vox so the bass gurning face/head bob/stomp/groove & weave will be easier. My unconcious natural movements cause grief in the studio when recording, was always being bollocked for noisy shuffling/kicking mic stands/ tripping over pedals etc. I'm a right pain in the arse, ha ha HA!

Our guitarist recently dragged us to a gig just to watch the band. They put on a show, as well as being damn good at what they played. Our instructions are to be a bit more animated at our next gig.

What prompted it was that someone took a video at a rehearsal of ours and pointed out we all looked at the floor (or our fingers). Trouble is, we usually practice in a really small room where there's hardly any room to move. And we're concentrating.

At the following gig I made a real effort to smile and look at the audience. My bandmates told me I looked "smug" in the photos (they carried on looking at the floor, so who cares what they think!).

Anyhow, in one or two intros and mid-song breaks when I'm not playing, I've taken to playing mock chords (complete with windmilling) in time with the second guitarist.

Hang on, though. Isn't that the sort of stuff the singer and guitarists are supposed to do? I keep telling them my job is to hide at the back with th drummer and look glum, but when I'm playing some of my natural reserve seems to slip away! I almost left the "stage" and danced with the obligatory drunk middle-aged woman last time (while continuing to play, of course).

This one will run and run - are we musicians or entertainers?

It's all to do with confidence. If you're not confident with your ability to play the song you will probably be staring at your music, fretboard or feet. If you are not confident that your singer/band or song choice is going to entertain the crowd you will be worriedly looking at the band or crowd. You won't be able to help this, your body language will show it.

If you and your band are confident and relaxed you will all naturally move with the music in an unforced way without thinking about it. The moves will be determined by the style of music.

The more times you play music in front of a crowd the more relaxed and confident you will become. You don't need to practice your moves, you need to practice playing in front of an audience.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1227660' date='May 11 2011, 03:37 PM']Bill Withers & co have the right idea. I prefer to sit during a gig (I'd sit in the audience if I could!).[/quote]

Thank heavens.

I thought I was the only one. Alone in the world. *chokes back a sob*