Why become a member? ×

GAS need not be terminal

leschirons

Some while ago I sold my 5 string Fbass on here as I wanted to move over to a 6 string. Whilst searching for the perfect BN6, I bought (blind) as a stop gap, a Spector 6 string from Xantes (nice guy) It wasn't really me as the neck was so big compared to the Fbass. I have to admit it was a lot cheaper than what I was going to spend. The other thing that got to me was the output. I could make people feel sick with the low B without any bass boost.

Due to a recent financial setback, all purchases are on hold for probably the rest of the year (and hopefully forever)

Anyway, the point is, I got bored and defretted an OLP Stingray. It took me about an hour to have the neck off, defret it, fill the slots, seal it and refit. The thinking being that if I bugger it up, it only cost £100. It sounds and plays awesome and cost nothing to do. I'm in love with it.

I had now got used to the Spector neck and decided to do something about the output via the trim pot. This done, I'm in love yet again. People slag off the TonePump EQ but I love it.

In 20 years I've never been so happy with my basses and the sound I get. All this has cost nothing to do. I think I've only just realised that I was an immature twat when it came to buying stuff. I never persevered with any of it as there was always something new to buy that "must" be better as it was more expensive. All I had to do all this time was use the gear I already had. It's made me realise that it's not the price, simply if you are happy with what you have.

I've grown up a bit. Lets hope it lasts.

I must believe, I must believe.............................

No, seriously, when you reach the point of knowing the exact gear that is right for you, it is truly a great thing. I know that no matter what, the Precision is the right bass for me - doesn`t stop me constantly checking out Jazzes though :)

In a similar vein i find that it's the basses that you play the most that are the preferred ones. My main bass is stored away in it's case and hasn't been played in a year, however my Aria gets played daily and i totally love it.

It gets played the most because it was £45 so i leave it lying around the house without any protection, so it ends up being the first bass i grab. I could happily just have that one bass, i'm thinking of flogging the Zoot really, i'd only spend the money on more cabs though!

Basschat has a lot to answer for here. My GAS list for this year was to possibly defret my 5 string. I haven't done that, but so far this year I've traded amp heads and sold and replaced half of my pedalboard.... Curse you BC, you're so tempting and convenient and I'm weak, so weak... :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='1226756' date='May 10 2011, 08:31 PM']Nice post!

It's definitely true that 'all that glisters is not gold', though trying to stay true to that idea with Basschat around is another story![/quote]

Unfortunately it's taken me 20 years and about £20,000,000 to realise this.

I was going to say I'd had an epiphany but people would think I'd just bought another bass cab.

Ahhhh the simple life for me from now on.

Edited by leschirons

I've been 'clean' for about 3 months :)

I'm happy modding my Sue Ryder at the mo, spent the amazing total of £23 so far (accounting for 'disposals') and it seems to have saved me from spending hundreds by buying/selling. I keep seriously thinking about getting something Fenderish and vintage but this will end up being a cost neutral and downsizing excercise if I ever get around to it.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1226929' date='May 10 2011, 11:29 PM']Unfortunately it's taken me 20 years and about £20,000,000 to realise this.

I was going to say I'd had an epiphany but people would think I'd just bought another bass cab.

Ahhhh the simple life for me from now on.[/quote]

you could probably buy a bass manufacturer for £20 million!!!!

Nice one...................its great to be GAS free.

I am too at the moment, always add at the moment. Well, I am BASS GAS free at the moment. I am thinking of consolidating all my gear into one nice, easily moveable rig. Does that count as GAS ?? Or it that just good sense.

If my poor wife had a penny for everytime she has heard me pathetically try to justify yet another bass purchase by saying "this is the one, I'll have this forever"........................and I bet I'm not alone.

Watch the amps/cabs for sale and have a smile at my expense !!!!

S

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1227574' date='May 11 2011, 01:17 PM']I am too at the moment, always add at the moment. Well, I am BASS GAS free at the moment. I am thinking of consolidating all my gear into one nice, easily moveable rig. Does that count as GAS ?? Or it that just good sense.

If my poor wife had a penny for everytime she has heard me pathetically try to justify yet another bass purchase by saying "this is the one, I'll have this forever"........................and I bet I'm not alone.

Watch the amps/cabs for sale and have a smile at my expense !!!!

S[/quote]

Re the first bit, it doesn't count as GAS but that your back is on the way out.

Second bit, You're certainly not alone. It got to the point where my wife would know what I was going to buy next due to suddenly finding new wallpaper on the PC screen and overhearing me trying to convince all our muso mates (and myself)the advantages of this bass or that amp.

[quote name='martthebass' post='1227401' date='May 11 2011, 11:30 AM']I've been 'clean' for about 3 months :)

I'm happy modding my Sue Ryder at the mo, spent the amazing total of £23 so far (accounting for 'disposals') and it seems to have saved me from spending hundreds by buying/selling. I keep seriously thinking about getting something Fenderish and vintage but this will end up being a cost neutral and downsizing excercise if I ever get around to it.[/quote]

Another one in the No GAS club. You are officially member No2.