Why become a member? ×

OK, who wants to tell him?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1218258' date='May 3 2011, 02:27 AM']Comment D emailed to her is both presumptuous and overly harsh. :lol:
Fair play to her for adding that gem of advice to the revised description - mind you, what can you do when you don't know much about the subject and an "expert" contacts you. :)[/quote]

I never said I was an expert, just stating the obvious. You're all keen to take the piss when it suits you - some clueless person posts a bass for sale with no idea what it is and you all laugh at their stupidity! Yet when someone does something about it you're judgmental and all high and mighty! Jeez, sorry I offended your sensibilities, just thought I'd try and do the right thing. In fairness, comment D is very direct and true - it's should be sold under the understanding that it's not a Fender, and MAY only be good for spare parts or might be worthless. That may not of come across properly admittedly in the way I wrote it, but those in the know will or should understand.

I just don't understand this forum sometimes :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1218258' date='May 3 2011, 02:27 AM']Comment D emailed to her is both presumptuous and overly harsh. :)
Fair play to her for adding that gem of advice to the revised description - mind you, what can you do when you don't know much about the subject and an "expert" contacts you. :)[/quote]
+1. People forget that eBay is full of real people. Sometimes they make real mistakes.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1218289' date='May 3 2011, 07:51 AM']Yet when someone does something about it you're judgmental and all high and mighty![/quote]
It's not that you did it - it's just a little harsh in tone. No-one likes getting messages like that.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1218294' date='May 3 2011, 07:56 AM']It's not that you did it - it's just a little harsh in tone. No-one likes getting messages like that.[/quote]

Yeah I know, but what you all don't know is that I've since emailed Linda and explained why a little better.

I actually thought you were spot on.
It`s easy to appear harsh in print, and especially to someone who may be a complete dick or faker, (you didn`t know it was "Linda" when you posted. Nor that it was an honest mistake.)
Respect for getting off your arse and getting involved.
MM

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1218282' date='May 3 2011, 07:39 AM']Situation not helped by whichever clueless clown offered her the information she posted a few minutes ago ... it IS a real Fender because it has serial numbers under "Precision Bass" on the headstock. :)[/quote]

Now now,be fair.He's been playing for 10 years and he knows his stuff.Just somebody trying to upset the apple cart with his tuppence worth (of total Guff!) I think.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1218347' date='May 3 2011, 09:44 AM']+1

I'm one of those people who can come across harsh in real time never mind in print when pointing out someones mistakes. It's never meant in the way it sometimes taken unless I'm talking to real idiot but then they don't grasp it anyway :) :) I just don't see the point in beating around the bush and making the bad news smell of rose petals.[/quote]
I prefer to be nice to people, unless I think they're deliberately trying it on, that is.

My Dad is retired now, and spends a lot of time selling interesting and unusual things ('junk') on eBay.

A lot of the time, he's not quite sure what he's selling but he does some research. Sometimes he gets it wrong.

Most people send him nice messages pointing it out, and giving him advice on what he actually *does* have, so he can update the listing accordingly. Sometimes, he gets varying degrees of sarcasm and abuse from angry anoraks who assume he's trying to rip people off.

Guess which people he'd rather hear from?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1218382' date='May 3 2011, 10:25 AM']I prefer to be nice to people, unless I think they're deliberately trying it on, that is.

My Dad is retired now, and spends a lot of time selling interesting and unusual things ('junk') on eBay.

A lot of the time, he's not quite sure what he's selling but he does some research. Sometimes he gets it wrong.

Most people send him nice messages pointing it out, and giving him advice on what he actually *does* have, so he can update the listing accordingly. Sometimes, he gets varying degrees of sarcasm and abuse from angry anoraks who assume he's trying to rip people off.

Guess which people he'd rather hear from?[/quote]

But your wrongly making the assumption that the intended message is meant to be sarcastic, which it wasn't. All this highlights is the difficulty in these situations when something with well intended notions can be interpreted differently by different people. I never assumed that the buyer was trying to rip anyone off, I never said I was an expert.

It's also worth noting that those people who react most strongly to what has happened actually end up using the very language and tone that they're reacting against, more often than not without realising it.

It's all water under the bridge now, so let's move on and be happy people :)

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1218397' date='May 3 2011, 10:37 AM']But your wrongly making the assumption that the intended message is meant to be sarcastic, which it wasn't.[/quote]
Yep - I read it and wrongly assumed it was sarcastic. So would most people, I think..?

FWIW, I'm not suggesting you accused the seller of trying to rip people off. My comments were actually in reply to Johnston.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='Johnston' post='1218411' date='May 3 2011, 10:55 AM']It's not a case of not being nice. It's not sugar coating the bad news. In part because I've been on the wrong end of too many people ignoring advice on what I have experience on, them taking advice from a mate down the pub or indeed someone who gains financially from the "Wrong" decision and then I end up sorting a f*** up.

Now I put my opinion across in simple A,B,C terms and walk away. They can listen or they can ignore it and without being big headed 90% or more times I've been ignored it's come back a f*** up.[/quote]
Shouting at them or being sarcastic isn't going to make them listen any more. Just sayin'.

But hey, it's just a different way of doing things. That's fine.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1218408' date='May 3 2011, 10:51 AM']Yep - I read it and wrongly assumed it was sarcastic. So would most people, I think..?

FWIW, I'm not suggesting you accused the seller of trying to rip people off. My comments were actually in reply to Johnston.[/quote]

No worries mate... see, forums - easy to misread them :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1218479' date='May 3 2011, 12:09 PM']It's not shouting or being sarcastic.

It's just being for want of a better word blunt. Generally I've found you can be nice as pie and still be ignored. so I just put it in simple terms.

In this case if it was someone I knew it would be a case of.

thats not a Fender Precision because.

It's a Jazz Style
They Ain't Fender Pups
The Machineheads.
the neck plate.

And thats it next topic of conversation. They can either ask more "Why do you say that?" , they can take it in look into themselves and get a more educated perspective. They can say I'm talking bollox and take the high road.

I generally find if you plant that initial seed and it doesn't take there is no point putting in the effort of the long version because it will fall on deaf ears.[/quote]

[i]Hello

Just to let you know I'm 100% certain this isn't a Fender Precision.

- It's a Jazz Style
- The pickups and tuners aren't Fender
- The neck plate isn't Fender

It's probably a far-eastern copy.

Cheers![/i]

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1218282' date='May 3 2011, 07:39 AM']Situation not helped by whichever clueless clown offered her the information she posted a few minutes ago ... it IS a real Fender because it has serial numbers under "Precision Bass" on the headstock. :)[/quote]
OMG, this poor woman. :P

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1218289' date='May 3 2011, 07:51 AM'].... In fairness, comment D is very direct and [b]true[/b]...[/quote]
It's only your opinion mate. You have not even held it in your hands and inspected it. On what basis can you pass judgement and tell her it's only worth going in the bin like that?

There aren't many people on here that would argue against Jon's (bassassin) credentials and keen eye in this respect. The king of Japcrap tells us it is a "[i]Rather nice early (71-ish) Matsumoku J copy. I'm watching. [/i]:D". So who are we to believe?

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1218289' date='May 3 2011, 07:51 AM']I just don't understand this forum sometimes :)[/quote] :lol:

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1218397' date='May 3 2011, 10:37 AM']... All this highlights is the difficulty in these situations when something with well intended notions can be interpreted differently by different people....[/quote]
How are we supposed to interpret [i]"only worthwhile as spare for parts or binning!"[/i] then?