Why become a member? ×

OK, who wants to tell him?

Hi Ou7shined: all this has been resolved, and Linda the seller of the item is taking it all on board and understood exactly the sentiments being expressed and never once assumed that those writing to her were being sarcastic or judgmental. If anything, I think she's grateful for some help.

Opinion is just that, opinion - and we all pull on our experiences as human beings to formulate it. Just as some people saw my comments as rude, others saw it as direct and to the point. It's now all water under the bridge, so let's just get back to topic :)

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1218582' date='May 3 2011, 01:52 PM']Hi Ou7shined: all this has been resolved, and Linda the seller of the item is taking it all on board and understood exactly the sentiments being expressed and never once assumed that those writing to her were being sarcastic or judgmental. If anything, I think she's grateful for some help.

Opinion is just that, opinion - and we all pull on our experiences as human beings to formulate it. Just as some people saw my comments as rude, others saw it as direct and to the point. It's now all water under the bridge, so let's just get back to topic :)[/quote]
Fair enough pal, let's just forget that you told her to stick it in the bin and get back on topic.

Ok back on topic......
I see a comment in her current listing that someone advised her to stick it in the bin. I wonder if this will have an effect on her final price?

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1218592' date='May 3 2011, 02:03 PM']Thought it would be a good idea if someone who had a clue contacted her and told her exactly what it is, rather than bickering about what it ain't.

So I did. :)

J.[/quote]
Nice one Jon.
Let's hope she can erase all that other stuff (incl. the bit about it being a real Fender) and just have your contribution up.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1218596' date='May 3 2011, 02:06 PM']Fair enough pal, let's just forget that you told her to stick it in the bin and get back on topic.

Ok back on topic......
I see a comment in her current listing that someone advised her to stick it in the bin. I wonder if this will have an effect on her final price?[/quote]

One thing that does strike me is this (this goes out to the general public and not aimed at you directly BTW): (nearly) everyone on here is prepared to have a laugh at the expense of the seller because the item has been listed inaccurately. Which I guess is fair enough as it's away from the gaze of the seller. But is it? The seller could well be a member on here or at least have access to it. So which is worse, being direct and honest and trying to be helpful, okay I didn't word it exactly right, but the intention was well? Or, having a snigger at someone behind their back and then claiming the higher the moral ground when someone does something you or others don't agree with? This is what I don't understand about forums sometimes. But hey, we're all grown ups... right? :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1218599' date='May 3 2011, 02:09 PM']Nice one Jon.
Let's hope she can erase all that other stuff (incl. the bit about it being a real Fender) and just have your contribution up.[/quote]
I imagine she'll use my contribution but if an Ebay item's had a bid, I don't think you can edit the listing beyond adding comments at the end.

Also just because I do know what it is (and you lot probably think I know what I'm on about!) doesn't mean it holds much water in Ebay Fantasy Land, where everyone's an expert. Worth a go though.

FWIW I said this:

[quote]Hi - your bass is an early 70s Japanese copy of a Fender Jazz Bass. I'm a collector of these instruments and can tell you yours was made in approximately 1971 at the Matsumoku factory - the neck plate inscribed Steel Adjustable Neck was only used by Matsumoku. These instruments are actually quite rare & becoming collectable these days, Matsumoku was regarded as one of the best Japanese factories, and despite some of the comments you've had, this is a good-quality instrument, as were many of the Japanese copies from the 70s era.

The Fender headstock logo has been added by a previous owner (this is very common with these old copies) and it would originally have had a brand name such as Aria, or a UK importer's name like Eros or Kimbara.[/quote]

J.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1218605' date='May 3 2011, 02:13 PM']One thing that does strike me is this (this goes out to the general public and not aimed at you directly BTW): (nearly) everyone on here is prepared to have a laugh at the expense of the seller because the item has been listed inaccurately. Which I guess is fair enough as it's away from the gaze of the seller. But is it? The seller could well be a member on here or at least have access to it. So which is worse, being direct and honest and trying to be helpful, okay I didn't word it exactly right, but the intention was well? Or, having a snigger at someone behind their back and then claiming the higher the moral ground when someone does something you or others don't agree with? This is what I don't understand about forums sometimes. But hey, we're all grown ups... right? :)[/quote]
There is no argument on the fact that you were full of good intentions. But elements of what you said to her, no matter how much damage limitation you want to put on it [b]were not true[/b] and based solely on one man's iffy opinion. The negative comment you put forward has sent ripples out into the world which may ultimately cost the seller money. I sure she's really happy that "we" helped now.

This section of the forum is for the discussion of ebay auctions. A fair amount of the content is about the the stupidity of sellers listings and how comical they seem to us enthusiasts. The sellers original listing (before Basschat got involved) was just another laughable listing. So what if she had been a member and had seen the comments on here about her listing? She would have been free to correct the silly mistakes herself... maybe even ask for some advice, instead of having it thrust upon her.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1218621' date='May 3 2011, 02:29 PM']There is no argument on the fact that you were full of good intentions.[/quote]
Really, doesn't feel that way to be honest, but hey ho!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1218621' date='May 3 2011, 02:29 PM']But elements of what you said to her, no matter how much damage limitation you want to put on it [b]were not true[/b] and based solely on one man's iffy opinion. The negative comment you put forward has sent ripples out into the world which may ultimately cost the seller money. I sure she's really happy that "we" helped now.[/quote]
I'm not trying to do damage limitation. The points were direct and honest - albeit not written entirely with grace, and for this I've already apologised. Which parts were not true BTW? The fact that it's not a Fender, or that it may only be good for spares or indeed be useless? True, I haven't seen the bass, it could be perfectly playable, but a little bit of common sense goes a long way, and if I didn't say it, someone else may have.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1218621' date='May 3 2011, 02:29 PM']This section of the forum is for the discussion of ebay auctions. A fair amount of the content is about the the stupidity of sellers listings and how comical they seem to us enthusiasts. The sellers original listing (before Basschat got involved) was just another laughable listing. So what if she had been a member and had seen the comments on here about her listing? She would have been free to correct the silly mistakes herself... maybe even ask for some advice, instead of having it thrust upon her.[/quote]
True, she didn't ask for an opinion. But I've been in contact with Linda over several emails and as bidding has started the listing title can't be changed! So, it just goes to show you're not in full knowledge of all the facts and what has transpired since this topic has started! I'll know better next time than to incur the wrath and OPINION of another BC-er by daring to have an OPINION of my own ;-P

Edited by derrenleepoole

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1218634' date='May 3 2011, 02:43 PM']Really, doesn't feel that way to be honest, but hey ho![/quote]Mate no one here is saying you weren't right to offer a noob some assistance. It's just you went in guns a blazin' and now regardless of how she took it, there maybe repercussions for her.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1218634' date='May 3 2011, 02:43 PM']I'm not trying to do damage limitation. The points were direct and honest - albeit not written entirely with grace, and for this I've already apologised. [b]Which parts were not true BTW? The fact that it's not a Fender, or that it may only be good for spares or indeed be useless?[/b] True, I haven't seen the bass, it could be perfectly playable, but a little bit of common sense goes a long way, and if I didn't say it, someone else may have.[/quote]Everyone and their dog on here knows it's not a Fender, that's just a silly to say. In the light of what Jon has said, would you still advise her to part it out or stick it in the bin?

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1218634' date='May 3 2011, 02:43 PM']True, she didn't ask for an opinion. I'll know better next time than to incur the wrath and OPINION of another BC-er by daring to have an OPINION of my own >_>[/quote]Dude if I have been erroneous in any way with anything I've said please correct me.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1218671' date='May 3 2011, 03:08 PM']Dude if I have been erroneous in any way with anything I've said please correct me.[/quote]

Yes, you came in guns blazing and shot me down, in exactly same way you're accusing me of having done to the seller. Does this make sense?

Anyway, I'm bowing out from this, it appears that things will start to go around in circles and it's better to avoid any unpleasantries.

Edited by derrenleepoole

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1218677' date='May 3 2011, 03:14 PM']Yes, you came in guns blazing and shot me down, in exactly same way you're accusing me of having done to the seller. Does this make sense?

Anyway, I'm bowing out from this, it appears that things will start to go around in circles and it's better to avoid any unpleasantries.[/quote]
FYI when I came in and commented on "item D", I didn't even know that it had been a basschatter that had said that to her. So don't feel indignant over that.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1218730' date='May 3 2011, 03:48 PM']FYI when I came in and commented on "item D", I didn't even know that it had been a basschatter that had said that to her. So don't feel indignant over that.[/quote]

It's not a problem mate, honestly. I'm not one to hold grudges or take it too personally. I did the right thing by continuing the conversation with the seller and she's happy that nothing untoward was being suggested etc. Like I said, the listing already has bidders, so she can't change it unless she stops it and starts again. The only reason she's posting the comments people are making is because of this very reason. Those of us who know better will know that it's not a Fender, but there are people people out there who don't - just like the seller. So I don't think it's no bad thing to tell someone so, the trick is to get the balance of wording right so it's helpful without sounding like a know-it-all. Of course, as we have seen, this approach will also have its detractors with someone against your opinion of how you did it, and those that see no problem at all. I would be more than happy to have someone tell me if I was incorrect. In fact someone did once, and I ignored them to my cost. Lesson learned there.

Just to turn it on it's head, if the seller was unaware they had a proper vintage fender for sale and it was being sold at a silly (low) price, would you point it out (or buy it quickly)?

[quote name='zero9' post='1218921' date='May 3 2011, 05:56 PM']Just to turn it on it's head, if the seller was unaware they had a proper vintage fender for sale and it was being sold at a silly (low) price, would you point it out (or buy it quickly)?[/quote]

Depends if I have the cash spare to snap it up :)

Just kidding. I couldn't spot a proper vintage Fender if I took a DeLorean back to 1960 and was smacked in the face with one :)

Edited by Maverick

Whoever bought it, unless they put that bid in right at the start, can't really have any complaints, but I bet after all the info that was posted on that listing there's still a few chancers willing to have a go and then complain when it's not what they hoped it was but knew it probably wasn't.