Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass Tone

JayPH

[quote name='JayPH' post='1213099' date='Apr 27 2011, 08:28 PM']Hi all

This might be common knowledge but I've just discovered how awsome my new jazz bass sounds with the following settings:

Neck p/u @ 100%, bridge @ 0, and the tone @ 0. Absolutely brilliant for reggae. Really mellow.

How do you set your tone and what are good settings for different genres of music?[/quote]
Try turning the neck pup down to about 70% and the tone should be even deeper and smoother because the volume also affects the tone and there are more harmonic overtones at higher volumes.

Rarely use the tone control, usually either:

Neck pickup at max with the bridge almost at max, between about 85 to 95% depending on the volume controls

or

Bridge pickup max with neck at 85 to 95%

On the very rare occasions I slap I run it through a Sadowsky outboard preamp with the bass at about 60% and treble at about 20% for a really fat smooth sound.

[quote name='ahpook' post='1213612' date='Apr 28 2011, 10:44 AM']i never use the bridge pickup, so it's neck at full, tone at maybe 3/4[/quote]

Consider wiring in a series switch - I used the back pup in series sometimes, sounds very beefy. It's an easy mod on a stock Jazz, just need a switch (I used a tone pot with a push/pull three pole switch).

This is a great question, I have recently acquired a strange coloured 1997 American Deluxe and I'm struggling to get a satisfactory Jazz Bass tone.

On my Deluxe the controls are a bit odd and I'm still playing around. They go: Vol: Pan: Bass/treble stack: Mid

It was 100% on both pups (pan control on the centre notch), boosting bass 80% and treble and mid rolled off ~30% for a band playing Linkin Park type rock. Works for that band but not really what I'm after sound-wise until I went to cutting front pup by ~50% and the Jazz Bass sound was beginning to be revealed. The tone variations are very powerful and its going to take me a while (all suggestions welcome!)

I'm surprised that almost everyone plays with so much on the neck pup.

Has anyone also found the amazing difference in sound playing off the two pups? Moving my hand from the front to back pickup is like changing guitar.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1213938' date='Apr 28 2011, 04:30 PM']This is a great question, I have recently acquired a strange coloured 1997 American Deluxe and I'm struggling to get a satisfactory Jazz Bass tone.

On my Deluxe the controls are a bit odd and I'm still playing around. They go: Vol: Pan: Bass/treble stack: Mid

It was 100% on both pups (pan control on the centre notch), boosting bass 80% and treble and mid rolled off ~30% for a band playing Linkin Park type rock. Works for that band but not really what I'm after sound-wise until I went to cutting front pup by ~50% and the Jazz Bass sound was beginning to be revealed. The tone variations are very powerful and its going to take me a while (all suggestions welcome!)

Has anyone also found the amazing difference in sound playing off the two pups? Moving my hand from the front to back pickup is like changing guitar.[/quote]

Yep! I play betwen te bridge pickup and the bridge itself! I gained that habit after having a Stingray, much more defined sound and more atack! When i want to beef things up i simply move my hand to the neck pickup! I don't like thump... [takes cover...]

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1213938' date='Apr 28 2011, 04:30 PM']This is a great question, I have recently acquired a strange coloured 1997 American Deluxe and I'm struggling to get a satisfactory Jazz Bass tone.

Has anyone also found the amazing difference in sound playing off the two pups? Moving my hand from the front to back pickup is like changing guitar.[/quote]

On my Deluxe Jazz 5 I have volume full up,pickup pan very slightly in favour of the bridge pickup,Bass and Treble flat,
mids boosted very slightly.

Pretty much all my tonal variations come from hand placement. I don't tend to fiddle about with my EQ on a gig-I get a sound
that I'm happy with,and everything else comes from my technique.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1213608' date='Apr 28 2011, 10:42 AM']Try turning the neck pup down to about 70% and the tone should be even deeper and smoother because the volume also affects the tone and there are more harmonic overtones at higher volumes.[/quote]

Wow, you're right mate, that is pure MellowPowerGoodness :) I'm a bit bevvied like haha. This is how I'm gonna practice Marley lines from now on. Big Respect to your Aston Family Man Profile Pic man.

I haven't had a chance to try all configs but Ghost_Bass settings for Slap sounds cool:
Neck: 90%
Bridge: 90%
Tone: 60%

Pups at 80% and tone Full on is sublime for most of what I'm playing :)

I never knew the Jazz Bass was so versatile. I'm made up I chose this over a P-Bass.

I find it difficult to play between bridge and bridge pickup but the position you play really does effect the sound.

On a slight tangent how hard do you guys hit the strings? This is the first decent bass I've ever owned and I'm finding I only have to touch the strings.

[quote name='Ross' post='1213584' date='Apr 28 2011, 02:05 AM']Bridge or neck wide open.
Tone wherever I like.

I can't run both pickups at the same time or my bass makes next to no sound, really odd, I have to turn it up like 3-4 times what I'd put a normal passive bass through if I have both pickups cranked. Giving up and rewiring it soon.[/quote]
Sounds like the pickups could be out of phase with each other. Try reversing the leads on one pickup and see if that helps. There will be a small volume loss when both are on since they are in parallel but it should be minimal.

On any bass, for the deep, accompaniment stuff, lightly touching the strings, for a defined sound and also for anything figurative I belt them hard. Got Jaco on right now and you can hear he's really twanging them, but then it sounded like JJ did too. Maybe a throw over from playing uprights.

This is the first twin pup bass I've had in over 30 years of playing and I still need to think to switch thumb positions but I'm amazed at the differences.

[quote name='JayPH' post='1214230' date='Apr 28 2011, 09:34 PM']Wow, you're right mate, that is pure MellowPowerGoodness :) I'm a bit bevvied like haha. This is how I'm gonna practice Marley lines from now on. Big Respect to your Aston Family Man Profile Pic man.

I haven't had a chance to try all configs but Ghost_Bass settings for Slap sounds cool:
Neck: 90%
Bridge: 90%
Tone: 60%

Pups at 80% and tone Full on is sublime for most of what I'm playing :)

I never knew the Jazz Bass was so versatile. I'm made up I chose this over a P-Bass.

I find it difficult to play between bridge and bridge pickup but the position you play really does effect the sound.

On a slight tangent how hard do you guys hit the strings? This is the first decent bass I've ever owned and I'm finding I only have to touch the strings.[/quote]

This might be common knowledge but I've just discovered how awsome my new jazz bass sounds with the following settings:

Neck p/u @ 100%, bridge @ 0, and the tone @ 0. Absolutely brilliant for reggae. Really mellow.

How do you set your tone and what are good settings for different genres of music?[/quote]

It depends on the jazz, the pickups employed as they have a big influence on my decision, Jazzes from different eras sound totally diff. I just fiddle till i get the tone in my head. One jazz i have is always fully open its a jap jazz 62 reissue with wizard 84's its a great sounding bass

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1214480' date='Apr 29 2011, 05:23 AM']Sounds like the pickups could be out of phase with each other. Try reversing the leads on one pickup and see if that helps. There will be a small volume loss when both are on since they are in parallel but it should be minimal.[/quote]
Thanks, will try this.

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1214237' date='Apr 28 2011, 09:42 PM']I hit the strings quite hard, probably why I avoid active basses :)[/quote]

Interesting reason.
I use active basses often and I hit the strings pretty hard.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1215047' date='Apr 29 2011, 04:10 PM']Interesting reason.
I use active basses often and I hit the strings pretty hard.[/quote]

You need the headroom throughout the signal chain to do this without overloading things. With the right gain structure and decent kit, it's fine, otherwise it can cause issues.

I've been playing the same jazz bass for over 30 years and only recently discovered the tonal differences available by adjusting the pick up volumes.

I only ever use the neck pick up and keep the volume at about 70% with the tone off for reggae, blues, soul and jazz - I turn the tone up to about 50% for funk.
I play over the neck for a deep roots sound and over the pick up for faster funky stuff.
I never wander further back from the neck pick up - that's for a different type of player and the jazz bass is perfect for them too.
It can go from deep Familyman dub to zingy Jaco jazz with just a change of settings and playing style.

String choice also has a big effect on tone and I like old heavy gauge GHS flats for everything, whereas you really need rounds (and no frets) to do the Jaco thing.

I hit the strings fairly hard for a clear punchy sound and softer for a more laid back jazzy feel.

I don't (can't) do slap bass and I see the bridge pick up as a 'spare' just in case the front one fails.

I don't like the tone of precisions, much as I'd like to - a good passive jazz bass is all I need.

Another tip to get that deep dub reggae tone is to turn down all the treble and mids on your amp.
And remember - who feels it knows it.

My Jazz is active, still feeling my way around it but so far my favorite setting is

80% Neck 20% bridge

Bass: 3/4 + center

Treble: 1/4 to 1/3 + center

Mid: 1/4 - center (the mid boost is killer approach with caution !! :) )

Edited by danny-79

[quote name='iconic' post='1217167' date='May 2 2011, 07:55 AM']I do the same a lot of guys here on my jazz...

............. everything on the neck pup, bridge zero, tone set low.....

..............and then it sounds like my P bass :)[/quote]
I realised that's what I was always doing, so I decided to get a P-bass instead :)

[quote name='sambassman' post='1218763' date='May 3 2011, 04:10 PM'][size=5][b][/b]EVERYTHING ON FULL!!!!
[/size](passive jazz)[/quote]

for slap, funk, rock haha

i roll the tone off a lot for reggae and soul stuff

can make it sound like a p by turning the bridge p/u off

for a jaco sound i roll back the neck p/u to about 70%. bridge on at full and take a touch of tone off

Generally I do the same, although it's a P-Bass Special in my case with rounds. When I played a Jazz with flats I'd keep the tone up a fair way, as I do with my BB.