Why become a member? ×

Victor Wooten

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1208582' date='Apr 22 2011, 07:36 PM']I didn't post this to piss off the anti-Victor crowd. It's just a video demonstrating his awesome talent.[/quote]

Great post. Nobody can deny his talent. Real quality player... Real quality beard. I want one :)

[quote name='BottomE' post='1208543' date='Apr 22 2011, 06:50 PM']Yeah not bad :) Victor always look like hes just slid out from under a car like he's been working on it and been asked to do a vid. No pretentions about dress or look its all about amazing technique and ability.[/quote]

..and music.

Thanks for that, I really enjoyed it. Not just a 'technique round up', but some beautiful music that just happens to be played on a bass guitar.
I'm not normally a fan of this sort of stuff, but this really floated my boat.

[quote name='paul_5' post='1208776' date='Apr 22 2011, 11:39 PM']Thanks for that, I really enjoyed it. Not just a 'technique round up', but some beautiful music that just happens to be played on a bass guitar.
I'm not normally a fan of this sort of stuff, but this really floated my boat.[/quote]

that's it for me: beautiful music that happens to be played on a bass guitar... I would not call this an example of "bass" exactly.

For me this is guitar, full stop.

But oh yes, it was pretty cool and I enjoyed it. I likewhen someone with massive chops doesn't feel he has to use them all to impress, but simply creates good music... and fine, throw in a few "wow" moments if you like, but always musically.

Great video.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1209098' date='Apr 23 2011, 12:20 PM']well, i left that bit out deliberately because as a piece of music it doesn't get me going.[/quote]

Yeh that's what it boils dow to with me as well. Otherwise Wooten's nothing short of incredible, and his attitude to music is thoroughly inspiring.

Victor Wooten!! What a Guy!! We managed to see him last year at DV in Essex - incredible evening watching one of my heroes..

Has anybody else read "The Music Lesson" by VW? One of the best reads of last year IMO - especially when he explains that Bass players DON'T JUST PLAY NOTES!! (see "Measure Two - NOTES"..

If you haven't got around to reading it yet I highly recommend it..

[quote name='skej21' post='1208979' date='Apr 23 2011, 10:14 AM']Just watched this again. How muscley/MASSIVE are his hands?! I'm suprised he can manage to do any tapping!

Maybe he was working in a scrapyard before playing this... crushing cars with his bare hands![/quote]

Er yeah, Vic is quite a short guy but he's built like the proverbial outdoor latrine - I found this cool pic ages ago that demonstrates just how strong he is - no Photoshop involved here:

He's still one of my fave players, if not my overall fave bass player of all time... been listening to him for 20 years and I still love all that he does.

[quote name='urb' post='1212822' date='Apr 27 2011, 04:39 PM']Er yeah, Vic is quite a short guy but he's built like the proverbial outdoor latrine - I found this cool pic ages ago that demonstrates just how strong he is - no Photoshop involved here:

He's still one of my fave players, if not my overall fave bass player of all time... been listening to him for 20 years and I still love all that he does.[/quote]

I've seen that photo before, how does he do that ?

god gave him so much musical tallent, but in the othe hand took so much away (the lord moves in some funny ways)

i love victors playing but I think he reherses his licks

best bass player by far, wipes the floor with jaco,miller etc but to me its still its his hot licks

[quote name='4 candles' post='1214403' date='Apr 29 2011, 12:20 AM']god gave him so much musical tallent, but in the othe hand took so much away (the lord moves in some funny ways)

i love victors playing but I think he reherses his licks

best bass player by far, wipes the floor with jaco,miller etc but to me its still its his hot licks[/quote]

Wipes the floor with Jaco and Marcus etc? Bold statement.

As far as rehearsing his licks...I'm sure that he has some ideas that he uses often and has practised,but then again
I don't think there is anyone that hasn't got a bunch of licks that they have practised and can pull out when needed.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1214432' date='Apr 29 2011, 01:07 AM']As far as rehearsing his licks...I'm sure that he has some ideas that he uses often and has practised,but then again
I don't think there is anyone that hasn't got a bunch of licks that they have practised and can pull out when needed.[/quote]

Bah! Practicing is for noobs :)