Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TB Cable thread.

paul h

Even if the cables do make a difference are you gonna notice once animal starts bashing away. I dont think you can go wrong with Neutrik and Van Damme and spending more is probably wasting your money.

I bet studio's and PA companies dont use exotic cables - probably use mains cables for speaker leads - I know we have on the PA for the last 27 years.

[quote name='BassBod' post='138403' date='Feb 11 2008, 07:00 PM']Its got mysterious plastic boxes near each plug and its labelled "guitar/amp" at either end because its supposed to sound better if used in the right direction. Or they think we're stupid and will forget where to put the other end. It does sound slightly "fuller" and "brighter" at home, with nothing else but amp hiss to listen to...but in any real world environment I couldn't tell the difference.....and its going to get stepped on and covered in beer just like every other cable.

Anyone want it?

BB[/quote]

Nah, got enough snake oil and antigravity devices ;-)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='138456' date='Feb 11 2008, 08:31 PM']It usually means connect in the direction of the arrow, e.g. bass ---> amp ---> send ---> return ---> cab etc. Sometimes in hifi world it is indicated by the writing on the cable.[/quote]

Stop me if this is heading in the direction of audiophile shouting and posturing, but directional cable is a nonsense which can be explained by marketing departments but not by the laws of physics.

Whether it's bass>>>amp or amp>>>cab, the current is AC which means it goes both ways down the cable.

Fortunately we don't seem to have as much bullshit aimed at us as audiophiles do - some of the stuff they will buy is jaw-dropping. CD demagnetiser, anyone?

[url="http://sound.westhost.com/cables.htm"]http://sound.westhost.com/cables.htm[/url]

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='138429' date='Feb 11 2008, 07:43 PM']Even if the cables do make a difference are you gonna notice once animal starts bashing away. I dont think you can go wrong with Neutrik and Van Damme and spending more is probably wasting your money.

I bet studio's and PA companies dont use exotic cables - probably use mains cables for speaker leads - I know we have on the PA for the last 27 years.[/quote]
I went and paid quite a large amount of dosh for a couple of monster cables on a whim. I did an A/B test with my old leads and yes, they do make a considerable difference!

And Mr Ferret, I’m afraid that you have lost your bet – pro PA companies use top quality cables as a matter of course…

[quote name='bremen' post='138458' date='Feb 11 2008, 08:40 PM']Stop me if this is heading in the direction of audiophile shouting and posturing, but directional cable is a nonsense which can be explained by marketing departments but not by the laws of physics.

Whether it's bass>>>amp or amp>>>cab, the current is AC which means it goes both ways down the cable.

Fortunately we don't seem to have as much bullshit aimed at us as audiophiles do - some of the stuff they will buy is jaw-dropping. CD demagnetiser, anyone?

[url="http://sound.westhost.com/cables.htm"]http://sound.westhost.com/cables.htm[/url][/quote]
Just cos I told him what it meant does not mean it makes sense.

[quote name='peteb' post='138463' date='Feb 11 2008, 08:53 PM']And Mr Ferret, I’m afraid that you have lost your bet – pro PA companies use top quality cables as a matter of course…[/quote]
There is a difference between top quality cables and snake oil. There was at least one member on here who worked for a PA company that used mains cable for speaker leads.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='138101' date='Feb 11 2008, 12:25 PM']I played for years with a keyboard player who used really cheap cables and he did have a really awful sound.[/quote]

hmmmm, are you sure it was just the cables?!?.... over the years I've noticed a distinct inverse proportionality between Keyboard players' musical abilities and their inclinations to extract decent sounds from their rigs! :)

[quote name='dlloyd' post='138532' date='Feb 11 2008, 10:37 PM']I'd normally be the first to call snake oil on cable issues, but having recently swapped out some of the cheap patch cables on my pedal board with some of OBBM's, there was a glaringly obvious reduction in hiss.[/quote]
+1. OBBM's cables have worked wonders on my basic tone, insofar as they don't kill it like my old leads did! Instrument leads, patch cables and speaker cables have all made a difference (to my ears). I've finally managed to persuade our g**tarist to contact Dave for some leads himself, he keeps losing his leads at gigs...

[quote name='paul h' post='138040' date='Feb 11 2008, 11:02 AM']Just read some of a thread over on TB about cables can affect tone. I didn't read all of the thread because a bunch of egomaniacs trying to outdo each other by listing their various credentials is positively yawn inducing.[/quote]

That's why I usually don't bother with TB unless I need to use it as a reference.

On topic... I buy cables for sturdiness. I would assume those manufacturers which build sturdy cables don't let the tonal component suffer too much.

I agree with most of this - there's plenty of nice (electrical specs and build quality) cable like Van Damme, Klotz and Sommer around - put that with well built, well screened connectors and you can't easily go wrong.
Get OBBM to make it, and you don't need to risk even that.

I don't need any gold, silver or unidirectional voodoo!! :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='138456' date='Feb 11 2008, 08:31 PM']It usually means connect in the direction of the arrow, e.g. bass ---> amp ---> send ---> return ---> cab etc. Sometimes in hifi world it is indicated by the writing on the cable.[/quote]

I mark my cables with arrows so I can tell which is a send and which is a return, if the cables are the same colour. Handy for mid gig fixes on a dark stage. Faiiling that, it's red for send and black for return lol...

I think the well built angle of decent cables is a point of consideration. I have some from OBBM and know they will easily earn back the initial outlay - which wasn't that much - because they will last so much longer thus reducing replacements.

It's piece of mind as well, I know I have quality cables which are gonna last, and not be the cause of any problems, so no worries :)

How long do 'average' leads last- say, Planet Waves?
Compare that to the leads that OBBM or others similar make- what is the life-expectancy of these leads when used regularly?

Just because I could, (hey, I was young and reckless) I bought an MIT lead that was mentioned earlier in this thread.
I must have paid around £80 for it and got about 7 years constant use from it.
I now have a Monster cable which cost half of that and it is into year 4.

I'm imagining that a good, solid handmade lead would last as long for a fraction of the price.

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='138558' date='Feb 11 2008, 11:22 PM']That's why I usually don't bother with TB unless I need to use it as a reference.[/quote]

It's not that useful even then. When they were banging on about the relief on WAV-4 necks, it would have been very useful to know at what points they were putting the strings to the fingerboard (and in which units as well).

Um, cables. Mains lead - brilliant for speaker cables (as long as it's decent stuff). Decently thick coax and plugs that have the tip securely rivetted to the terminal, they'll make decent cables.

I reckon it's only a matter of time before some company sticks magnets around the outside of the lead at each end and claims that the magnets "align the electrons in the signal path, reducing loss of energy through random scatter thus increasing the top end, reducing muddiness in the middle range and allowing the bass frequencies more headroom"

Sounds convincing to me. Hmmmm.....now there's a thought ?

obbm - are you listening ? We could do a deal here :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='138506' date='Feb 11 2008, 10:07 PM']Just cos I told him what it meant does not mean it makes sense.[/quote]

understood, I wasn't assuming you were supporting the bullsh*tt*rs!

[quote]I reckon it's only a matter of time before some company sticks magnets around the outside of the lead at each end and claims that the magnets "align the electrons in the signal path, reducing loss of energy through random scatter thus increasing the top end, reducing muddiness in the middle range and allowing the bass frequencies more headroom"[/quote]

I'd be surprised if someone hadn't already done that.

Sufficient gauge (usually less than you think you need), good connectors, solid construction and decent shielding are all worth paying for. Lower capacitance too with passive basses. Everything else is so close to snake oil that you might as well spend the extra money on hypnotism to help you believe your rig sounds better than ever.

The human ear is a contrary and very subjective piece of kit!

Alex

[quote name='BOD2' post='138675' date='Feb 12 2008, 09:19 AM']I reckon it's only a matter of time before some company sticks magnets around the outside of the lead at each end and claims that the magnets "align the electrons in the signal path, reducing loss of energy through random scatter thus increasing the top end, reducing muddiness in the middle range and allowing the bass frequencies more headroom"[/quote]
They're already doing it [url="http://www.fuel-optimiser.co.uk/how.html"]for petrol[/url] and obviously have managed to make a profit on it...

[quote name='tauzero' post='138870' date='Feb 12 2008, 02:17 PM']They're already doing it [url="http://www.fuel-optimiser.co.uk/how.html"]for petrol[/url] and obviously have managed to make a profit on it...[/quote]

Yeah - I've seen variations of that device over the years.

Call me cynical, but if it can achieve economy savings of "up to 20 %" for 75 dollars, then wouldn't one of tha major car manufacturers have snapped it up by now to help sell their vehicles in this current "green" climate ?