Why become a member? ×

New gear - am I being too anal?

niceguyhomer

Well I bought my Fender Bassman TV 15 from GAK at a reduced price (about £100 less than any other shop) and when I got it, it did have the odd mark on it - like it had been a demo amp in the shop or something. It was obviously not brand spanking new but I had got a reduction so I decided not to get the hump about it. Although I would have still bought it at the reduced price, I would have much preferred it if they had actually said on the website that it was B stock or demo in the first place.

If you paid full price.......send it back. If you got it cheap (like I did)..........keep it.

Edited by gjones

Well, I took it back yesterday and probably surprised the hell out of them when I walked in to the shop in Reading and handed the box to the manager (I live 200+ miles away in Preston) - I was actually on my way to Southampton and did a slight detour. They tried to talk me out of it saying that it was a good price blah blah and it had only been in the window etc - he couldn't answer when I asked him to explain why there were scratches on the casing / feet and around the jack socket or the fact the the leads had been unravelled.

Anyway, they gave me my money back with a shrug of the shoulders and I carried on my journey to the south coast. I have to say they were nice people and it looked like a very nice shop and that I do sympathise with them to some degree in that they have to demo stuff and take it out the box to show people but this looked like someone had been using it for some time.

I probably am a bit anal about my gear, someone else may have been perfectly happy with it.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1205483' date='Apr 20 2011, 08:26 AM']I probably am a bit anal about my gear, someone else may have been perfectly happy with it.[/quote]
I think you did the right thing Al, it's what I'd have done. However, as you say someone else may have been happy with a few marks especially if the price was very keen... maybe someone should phone up and ask if they have any ex-demo PJB gear at a decent knock down price (possibly offering even less than you paid)! :)

I'd have sent / taken it back too.
If i'm buying something new, which if it's bass related is potentially / probably quite expensive, i'd expect it to be pristine, unmarked and in 100% working condition.
I've no qualms about complaing.
I bought a MacBook Pro from the apple store a couple of years ago, the box they gave me had a crumpled corner and a tear on the other end.
I simply said "get me another one" and the 12 year old at the till said "Why? ... But i'll have to go back to store room!"
My look of "so?" said it all.
I'd be embarrassed selling a supposed perfect item which had something wrong with it.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1205146' date='Apr 19 2011, 08:09 PM']However one amp of a particular model should be exactly the same as the others of that model. Sure the shop needs to have one out on display for people to try, but if you decide to buy you should get an unused and boxed one. If you do have to buy the display model it should be price accordingly.[/quote]

Problem is, even at decent mark up (which, lets face it, no-one is getting these days) you would need to sell 3 amps to pay for the one on display. Not too bad on little Roland Cubes or similar, but if everyone insisted on this then the smaller shops would stop stocking any higher end gear. Many people on here bemoan the lack of choice in shops but this expectation would compound the problem.

Sorry, but to me, this seems a bit like having your cake and eating it.

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='Johnston' post='1204947' date='Apr 19 2011, 05:03 PM']Thats something my Mrs was confused about when she first went bass shopping with me. The shops around here unless it's the budget starter pack you get whats on the hanger the majority of times. She couldn't understand why you are paying full whack for something that "You never know who has had their hands on that" .[/quote]

You have a Mrs who'll go BASS SHOPPING WITH YOU?

Bass direct don't seem to stock those from looking in their catalogue so could you please enlighten me as to where I can get one myself?

Glad your money back mate.

B.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1205528' date='Apr 20 2011, 09:22 AM']Problem is, even at decent mark up (which, lets face it, no-one is getting these days) you would need to sell 3 amps to pay for the one on display. Not too bad on little Roland Cubes or similar, but if everyone insisted on this then the smaller shops would stop stocking any higher end gear. Many people on here bemoan the lack of choice in shops but this expectation would compound the problem.

Sorry, but to me, this seems a bit like having your cake and eating it.[/quote]
I've just gone onto the Phil Jones site and had a look at the [url="http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=2"]actual product[/url]. Now I am more convinced than ever that taking it back was definitely the right decision. There is no reason for this product to be out on display and if it needs to be demo'd then there's no reason for the shop not to put it away neatly afterwards.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1205551' date='Apr 20 2011, 09:46 AM']Better than that she bought the last one off Ebay and has the next two picked out :)[/quote]

What?! Where do these mystical creatures spring from? :)

Sounds like a good one, Johnston; and a good result for Alan.