Why become a member? ×

4 ohm light cabinet, with heavy sound

lojo

I am now looking to switch to one 4 ohm light weight cabinet (one rig for all gigs, no choices or options, so it needs compete with drums when used at small non PA support gigs)

My current head of choice is the Orange Terror Bass

Does anyone run a Terror with a Mark bass 410, or perhaps a loud 115 might do it ?

Barefaced seem to tick the boxes based on what i've read, but how do I hear one ?

Any other suggestions ?

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' post='1202379' date='Apr 17 2011, 09:11 AM']Barefaced seem to tick the boxes based on what i've read, but how do I hear one ?

Any other suggestions ?[/quote]

Either find a Basschatter local to you who has one and is willing to let you hear one... or buy one from Alex! Remember that he has a one month return policy if you are not absolutely satisfied.

[quote name='Wooks79' post='1202413' date='Apr 17 2011, 10:12 AM']With the OTB you can choose to get the full output at 4 or 8 ohms so you have a greater choice, is there any other reason you want 4 ohms?[/quote]

Yeah. And cab sensitivity has a greater influence on volume anyway...

First off, if only one cab is wanted, I`d go for the 4x10, as think that it will give a better spread of the sound.

I recently bought an Eden Nemesis 410, from The Bass Merchant. They do these in both 4 & 8 ohm, and the specs on the cab are quite good. 52 lbs in weight, 104 db sensitivity, adjustable tweeter, comes with castors. Link below:

[url="http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.php?product_id=451&category_id=2"]http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.ph...p;category_id=2[/url]

Not tried it in a band situation yet, but at "indoors" volume, it sounds very much like my Ampegs that I had to get rid of, due to them being too heavy. The tweeter in particular I like - it adds top-end, but never becomes hissy, like so many do. It just tightens the sound up, making a much more hi-fi sound. Or, without it, the cab has a great warm old-school sound.

Though as mentioned, as OTB has switching options, I`d go for a decent cab at 8 ohms. That way, at a later point, you could get another of the same cab, or 1x15, and select the 4 ohm switch, and have a huge stack. I don`t think however, with OTB, you`d ever need this, unless playing some really huge stages - as in the O2!

For a single 4 ohm solution, Id opt for a 2x12 unless you need serious volume.

What is your budget?

Lightweight is going to be VERY expensive unless you buy soon, or wait to see what happens with neo prices.

Most manufacturers are increasing prices on neo loaded cabs very soon, or even discontinuing the models! (Bergantino).

Id opt for a Genz Benz Neo X 212T.

The TC cabs you had/have are actually very well regarded over on Talkbass. The RS210 is a great 2x10, and thats not even looking into the fact its not too pricey, is fairly light, and is easy to move around.

I think your best bet is either a nice 4 ohm 2x12, (although it wont be THAT much louder than your previous TC RS212) or two smaller cabs.

Two Aguilar DB112s are a great modular rig. They arent light, but they are manageable.

There was a Schroeder 21012L for sale on Basschat that would do the job for you. However, I switched from the Schroeder 410L to a Barefaced Compact last year and can honestly say that it's just as capable and half the weight. And the rest of the band (yes, even the drummer) commented on how much clearer they could hear the bass on stage. My suggestion, get a 0% credit card and buy the Compact, then return after a month if you don't like it. However my money's on you'll keep it.

Another big +1 for the Genz Neox. For its size its quite remarkable and easily handles the venues I play. The sound is so tight and focused and not what I would expect from a 2x12. When I was in the market for a new cab I tried it against a Berg 2x12 (which IMO didn't sound half as good) and two Berg 4x10's both Neo and non Neo. I thought that the non Neo Berg sounded better being crisper and tighter and pretty much like the Neox.

Firstly thanks for the responses, and on a sunday :)

Yep, re the ohm switching option, am not used to that as none of my previous amps have had that feature, does it really chuck full out into 8ohms?

I can only say that my old orange OBC 410 did exactly what I want, the RS212 on it's own doesn't in every situation I get into (without the 210 anyway), so although something like the Genz 212 might, I fear 212 is not really for me

I'm not unhappy with my current setup, but would love to achieve what the pair of cabs (210 & 212) do in one light lift, if possible, or is that like saying "I want an umpalompa"?

I guess a Barefaced or a 410 that I can pick up without getting a strain might be the way to go ...

Please keep the comments coming, its all good

Edited by lojo

I dont think any 4x10 is going to out do a NEOX 2x12? I see them as directly comparable the same as with two stacked 2x12's would compare to 2 stacked 4x10's which we are more familiar with. Maybe the neox is better than I realise as its the first one I have had after 15's and 10's before but I certainly would go past one to get to any 4x10 or pair of 2x10 for that matter. Do some people just want more speakers for the sake of it?

A Schroeder 410L weighs in at 51lbs and the Barefaced Compact at 26lbs. I'm not sure how much you want to push the cab for loudness, but as I said before I get almost the same volume from my 8 ohm Compact as I did my 4 ohm Schroeder. Maybe even a Barefaced Super Twelve at 40lbs and it's light enough for a one man lift and act as a "louder" cab. Being honest, I found the 4x10 about my limit for a one man lift, taking into account the size and weight of the cab, not sure how the Genz owners find there cabs for one man lifts?

[quote name='largo' post='1202902' date='Apr 17 2011, 08:03 PM']not sure how the Genz owners find there cabs for one man lifts?[/quote]

Not bad they have rubber (rattle free) castors built in at the back and being tall and slim with inbuilt metal handles on the top sides it makes it much easier than any 4x10 to get your arms around :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1202675' date='Apr 17 2011, 03:38 PM']I dont think any 4x10 is going to out do a NEOX 2x12? I see them as directly comparable the same as with two stacked 2x12's would compare to 2 stacked 4x10's which we are more familiar with. Maybe the neox is better than I realise as its the first one I have had after 15's and 10's before but I certainly would go past one to get to any 4x10 or pair of 2x10 for that matter. Do some people just want more speakers for the sake of it?[/quote]

no don't just want more speakers, less if i could, but i've not found anything like what my old 410 did for me, sadly that was to heavy for an aging tired dad

so im not sure if i am just simply a 410 man, or is it that i've not tried the neox212 yet, if you rate it, i should give it a try if possible

I think my 212 does the job out front in most cases, but standing next to it is nothing like standing in front of my old 410

Thanks again for the replies, this is helpful, and gerry, thanks mate but i'm in surrey, if i come down for a weekend of sunshine, i'll give you a shout

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1202675' date='Apr 17 2011, 03:38 PM']I dont think any 4x10 is going to out do a NEOX 2x12? I see them as directly comparable the same as with two stacked 2x12's would compare to 2 stacked 4x10's which we are more familiar with. Maybe the neox is better than I realise as its the first one I have had after 15's and 10's before but I certainly would go past one to get to any 4x10 or pair of 2x10 for that matter. Do some people just want more speakers for the sake of it?[/quote]

no don't just want more speakers, less if i could, but i've not found anything like what my old 410 did for me, sadly that was to heavy for an aging tired dad

so im not sure if i am just simply a 410 man, or is it that i've not tried the neox212 yet, if you rate it, i should give it a try if possible

I think my 212 does the job out front in most cases, but standing next to it is nothing like standing in front of my old 410

Thanks again for the replies, this is helpful, and gerry, thanks mate but i'm in surrey, if i come down for a weekend of sunshine, i'll give you a shout

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1203045' date='Apr 17 2011, 10:49 PM']Nowt is like a 4x10 if you like that type of cab. Two 2x10s horizontal?

Try some Aguilar cabs if you can.[/quote]
Don't you mean vertical? :)

2 2x10s would be my preferred option & don't really understand why some folk want a 4Ω cab to go with a 4Ω amp.
On paper it might look like a match, but in reality it's more likely to be a restriction.

Lojo, you're in Surrey....

I'm in Surrey too..... and have a Genz Benz Neox212T for sale

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=128890"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=128890[/url]

We should chat :)

Edited by cetera