Why become a member? ×

P bass - what's it all about?

ngombe

Hi

This is a question for Precision lovers.

I have a US P bass that I bought about a year ago on a bit of an expensive whim. My main bass is a Stingray and it suits me pretty well, I know it's sound and I have the action just so, all in all it's got a 'just right' feel for me. Sadly the opposite is the case for my poor neglected P.

I play a lot of different styles but so far I haven't really found where the P shines. I know it wouldn't be such a bass icon without reason - please help me to discover it's strengths.

I don't play much rock and I rarely use a pick - So far the only time it's really sounded good to me was when I was playing it hard with a pick. The action seems high but I couldn't get it much lower, the relief of the neck is pretty much factory standard - I tried varying it but didn't get a much lower action. For fingerstyle it just seems much slower than the Stingray and much less defined in the sound

For people who like them I'd like to ask
- what kind of music do you think it suits?
- do you have favorite EQ, amp setting etc?
- any recommendations for good tracks that showcase the P bass?
- how's the setup? do you string it through the body? any mods worth undertaking?
- anything else that you think makes the P bass such a classic

Normally I'd just part company with a bass that doesn't work for me, but I can't help thinking I'm just missing something with this one so I'm giving it a last chance.

Ta

Joe

Personally my first bass was a P-Bass, they are an awsome rock bass and you could beat a rhino to death with one then play it 20 minutes later. That said they aren't too versatile, they have a wide-ish neck which makes them a bit harder to play than a Jazz.

If you were to look throught the thread where everyone has picked their top 5 bassists I wouldn't think too many play a precision. Steve Harris comes up a lot but even he isn't that conventional a P player (flatwounds!)

I love them; but I don't have one cos Stingers are better at rock, my Gibson sounds better for vintage sounds and my Sandberg jazz is more versatile and beter for slap

I play in two bands, a 6 piece 'party' band with two guitars and sax, and a 'clssic rock' band which is guitar-bass-drums vocals.

Both have turned their nose up at everything else I've brought along - 5-string Warwick, 4-string MusicMan, both lovely instruments - and prefer the Precision as most suitable for their music. I guess it was the bass originally used on most of the stuff we play = 50s Motown and blues on the one hand, 70s straight rock on the other...

There's no variety, just a reassuring 'thunk' - at least the way I play it! Doesn't push its way where it's not wanted (competition!) but fills the gap it needs to.

Doesn't help, does it? But if you sell yours I might find I need another :)

Thanks MB - this is helping. I've only used it for a few jams but mostly I've been listening to it in isolation - perhaps it's ability to sit nicely in the mix is one of it's strong points. I love my Stingray to bits but I can see why others could have a problem with it - there's no ignoring it, it will be heard!

I've got a meeeting with some local musicians lined up for the end of the month, some of them are just finishing college and are looking to put a band together - I'll probably hang onto it till then in case I get the same reaction to my other basses as you did.

Thanks also Mr C. I tried a sandberg jazz a while ago and I know where you're coming from with that one - very very nice! I've never tried a gibson bass but if it's half as good as the Les Paul g**tar then it's gonna be very special.

You want to hear a p bass in action.

Anything by James Jamerson.
All Who albums before Quadrophenia (Tommy, Who's Next, most played with Frankenstien).
All the classic Stax/Atlantic stuff played by the Duckster (Sam and Dave, Otis, Arethea etc)

Enough to get you started.

Right...
PUNK ROCK...
Try some early Stranglers or Ramones..
It's really been a pretty much standard bass for many a Punk band..
Most of the bass players in bands who are mates use 'em, some of
them have been using the same P-Bass for 30 years..
They just have the thump & grunt to get the job done and hold it all together..
EQ, modifications etc??? well thats down to the individual and to suit
the band they're in.. So far I've changed the bridge and have another
pickup on the way, Tusq nut, and my ever trusty Roberts strings..
If you're after a more 'Modern' P-bass punk sound, Rancid's Matt
Freeman has always used one to good effect..
Other lesser know bands? The Last Resort (both current and past bassists!),
the Lurkers and current 999 bass player Arturo Bassic welds one to great effect...
Let's not forget it's use in Pub Rock to...

yeah one of my first basses was a Precision and since then I've pretty much always used one (or at least a derivitive version)
for me they're just comfortable, and such a good workhorse that you can just play them to death and they'll keep going and going.

As far as listening material for P-Bass users, theres just too many to mention:

Steve Harris - (Iron Maiden)
JJ Burnel - (Stranglers)
Billy Sheehan - (early stuff with Talas and his home modded P [url="http://www.billysheehan.com/gear/instruments_34.html"]Billy P-bass[/url])
James Jamerson - (loads of Motown sessions)

and pretty much any rock/punk bassist since the dawn of time! although the P isn't restricted to just these genres - off the top of my head theres Pino Pallidino, the guy from Doves, Norman Watt-Roy used one on Rhythm Stick, Sting, Bob Daisley, Bryan Adams ... oooh i could go on!

peace

C

[quote name='Mr Cougar' post='13324' date='Jun 6 2007, 09:52 PM']That said they aren't too versatile, they have a wide-ish neck which makes them a bit harder to play than a Jazz.

but I don't have one cos Stingers are better at rock[/quote]

I am assuming that these are your opinions and not fact!

Wide neck does not equal hard to play and they are no harder to play than a Jazz - it just means playing with a slightly different technique. I find them very easy to play and I have quite small stubby hands....

and as for Stingrays being better for rock, well that's a pretty sweeping statement and I'm sure that some of the classic rock players as mentioned above might disagree!

[quote name='ngombe' post='13319' date='Jun 6 2007, 09:43 PM']Hi

I have a US P bass that I bought about a year ago on a bit of an expensive whim. My main bass is a Stingray and it suits me pretty well, I know it's sound and I have the action just so, all in all it's got a 'just right' feel for me. Sadly the opposite is the case for my poor neglected P.

I play a lot of different styles but so far I haven't really found where the P shines. I know it wouldn't be such a bass icon without reason - please help me to discover it's strengths.

I don't play much rock and I rarely use a pick - So far the only time it's really sounded good to me was when I was playing it hard with a pick. The action seems high but I couldn't get it much lower, the relief of the neck is pretty much factory standard - I tried varying it but didn't get a much lower action. For fingerstyle it just seems much slower than the Stingray and much less defined in the sound

- how's the setup? do you string it through the body? any mods worth undertaking?

Normally I'd just part company with a bass that doesn't work for me, but I can't help thinking I'm just missing something with this one so I'm giving it a last chance.

Ta

Joe[/quote]

Hi Joe,

3 years ago I had a company called Bravewood guitars build me a Precision bass to my spec, as I personally couldnt get along with many of the MIJ/MIA Fenders that I tried. I always loved the fat, round sound that P basses give, so I was really looking for something more playable.

Here she is:

Basically, the neck profile and body is the same as a '62 P bass, but it has a Badass II bridge, Seymour Duncan 1/4 £er pickup, schaller tuners, and its finished entirely in Nitro-cellulose.

I was able to get the action quite low on it, however I have to say that it is still a little higher than on my other basses - not as low as I would like it. The problem is that If I try any get it any lower, I get shedloads of fretbuzz and the upper registers sound a little muted.

I took it for a setup and the tech told me that I wouldn't get the action much lower than I already have it, so I didnt bother trying - I guess I just accepted it as a characteristic of the P Bass.

[quote]what kind of music do you think it suits?[/quote]

I play Funk, Reggae, Rock, bit of Motown (Jamerson all the way), some blues and pretty much anything that takes my fancy. The P bass seems to work best with funk and reggae if im using my fingers, and of course it sits perfectly well with anything with the motown vibe going on. Never use plectrums these days but I know that if I take a pick to the P bass in anger, such as with some hard rock, it sings out loud and has an awesome sound.

[quote]do you have favorite EQ, amp setting etc?[/quote]

I run a Hartke 3500 amp into a 410XL cab, EQ flat, Tube pre up to about 5 or 6, solid state pre up to about 3 or 4, Low Pass up to 7, High pass on 3 to 5. This pretty much stays the same for all my basses, give or take some minor tweaking.

I have the tone control set such that if you roll off all the treble, then roll it forward 1/4.

[quote]any recommendations for good tracks that showcase the P bass[/quote]

Anything James Jamerson played on - check out some earlier stevie wonder, the supremes, Marvin Gaye, the vandellas, and more recently, most stuff from U2, some stuff by duck dunn, and for pick playing, check out "Stay Together for the Kids" by blink 182.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KC7uhMY9s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KC7uhMY9s[/url] - Jamerson in action with his P bass

[quote]how's the setup? do you string it through the body? any mods worth undertaking?[/quote]

The Badass II bridge, although top loading and not Strings thru body, adds buckets of sustain - if thats your thing. If you prefer a more "thuddy" or muted sound, like jamerson, keep it as is and stick some flatwounds on it. The SD 1/4 £er pickup also has a very hot output, and a fantastic P bass tone.

[quote]anything else that you think makes the P bass such a classic[/quote]

Simplicity - its a straightforward, work horse of a bass. I can pick up the bass and play without having to spin too many knobs to get a good sound - it just seems to take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Never had any issues with my P bass.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='ngombe' post='13319' date='Jun 6 2007, 09:43 PM']I play a lot of different styles but so far I haven't really found where the P shines. I know it wouldn't be such a bass icon without reason - please help me to discover it's strengths.[/quote]

You're a troll, and I claim my free prize ..

Try listening to some of these for a good p bass sound

the smiths , rem , The police, The clash, guns n roses,

as you may be able to tell from the above list the p bass is well suited to rock music particularly when played with a pick, it just has that clank to it.

Muppet is right of course, what I should have said is: [i]'I find[/i] my stinger better for rock etc...

It goes without saying that with anything anyone says about something as subjective as the sound of a bass and it's appropriateness for different types of music is an opinion, but the penguin is right.

I have always found the P bass to be a real jack of all trades, and I had trouble making mine cut through the mix as much as I would have liked it to. That said it is hard to deny the appeal of a classic P bass, something almost mythical about them.

Sorry to disappoint ngombe but the Gibson basses aren't really in the same league as their smaller 6 string cousins, still good but something of a 'marmite' bass.

As far as the neck width goes I also have stubby hands - welcome to the club Muppet!- I agree that there isn't much difference but surely a thiner neck is always gonna be easier for say, a small handed beginer than a fat old P bass or stingray neck. Unless your fingers are so fat the strings are too close together!

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='13495' date='Jun 7 2007, 10:45 AM']Hi Joe,

3 years ago I had a company called Bravewood guitars build me a Precision bass to my spec, as I personally couldnt get along with many of the MIJ/MIA Fenders that I tried. I always loved the fat, round sound that P basses give, so I was really looking for something more playable.

Here she is:

Basically, the neck profile and body is the same as a '62 P bass, but it has a Badass II bridge, Seymour Duncan 1/4 £er pickup, schaller tuners, and its finished entirely in Nitro-cellulose.[/quote]

Hi Luke,

hope you don't mind me askin', how much did that set you back? That's exactly the bass I wanna buy next! PM me if you don't want to publicly say, or if you want to tell me to bugger off. Have fun at the Clapham Grand next week - cracking venue, I'd be along to support you if I wan't going to the IoW for a wedding gig.

Back on topic, I really want a P bass at the mo, I think it's cracking for rock, reggae, funk, dub, everything. A lot of the sound comes form your fingers and the way you play it... :)

[quote name='Merton' post='13641' date='Jun 7 2007, 03:39 PM']Hi Luke,

hope you don't mind me askin', how much did that set you back? That's exactly the bass I wanna buy next! PM me if you don't want to publicly say, or if you want to tell me to bugger off. Have fun at the Clapham Grand next week - cracking venue, I'd be along to support you if I wan't going to the IoW for a wedding gig.

Back on topic, I really want a P bass at the mo, I think it's cracking for rock, reggae, funk, dub, everything. A lot of the sound comes form your fingers and the way you play it... :huh:[/quote]

Hi mate,

Thanks, ive never played at the Grande before but ive been informed that it is an AWESOME venue - im really hopig I get muster up some support and get some good live shots.

If you come along Ill bring the P bass with me and let you have a little play :huh:

It set me back about £1k as I recall - maybe just under. It was from [url="http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk"]www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk[/url], and it is sublime :)

[quote name='Mr Cougar' post='13568' date='Jun 7 2007, 01:10 PM']As far as the neck width goes I also have stubby hands - welcome to the club Muppet!- I agree that there isn't much difference but surely a thiner neck is always gonna be easier for say, a small handed beginer than a fat old P bass or stingray neck. Unless your fingers are so fat the strings are too close together![/quote]

I think it's all to do with playing style. I come across a lot of players who prefer a jazz neck because they anchor their thumb over the top edge of the fingerboard when playing which limits the reach of their fingers. Switching to a style where your thumb is lightly anchored in the centre of the neck means that wider necks such as the Precision are no problem to play. Often it's ex guitarists who struggle with this as they've been used to muting lower strings with their thumb.

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='13699' date='Jun 7 2007, 05:04 PM']It set me back about £1k as I recall - maybe just under. It was from [url="http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk"]www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk[/url], and it is sublime :)[/quote]

I've been in touch with the guy at Bravewood Guitars about a custom order Precision too, and apparently he doesn't make basses on order anymore? I was very disappointed. Was he swamped with work when you got yours made, Luke? And how long did it take to build?

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='13699' date='Jun 7 2007, 05:04 PM']Hi mate,

Thanks, ive never played at the Grande before but ive been informed that it is an AWESOME venue - im really hopig I get muster up some support and get some good live shots.

If you come along Ill bring the P bass with me and let you have a little play :huh:

It set me back about £1k as I recall - maybe just under. It was from [url="http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk"]www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk[/url], and it is sublime :)[/quote]

From the site:

:huh:

*restraining jazz tendencies*

[quote name='paul, the' post='13737' date='Jun 7 2007, 06:49 PM']*restraining jazz tendencies*[/quote]

Lol, good luck getting one, I've made a few seperate enquiries to be told the same each time - "I no longer make basses to order, and have none in the production pipeline for at least 6 months"

Gutted

[quote name='ngombe' post='13319' date='Jun 6 2007, 09:43 PM']Hi

Ta

Joe[/quote]

MB1. :)

Whats it all about P Bass?(was that not a hit for cilla black?)
seriously though, you instinctively know when youve got a good one.once played a second hand american one, and was very close to purchasing the bass ,and strangely enough, was talked out of it, by the guy who worked in the shop(who is also a friend).he knows, i do tend to sell ,swap ,exchange basses from time to time, and i doubt this one would have appealed to everyone due to its colour purple(wasnt the most saleable of colours at that time).definately a one that got away!.
MB1.

Here's one on the bay

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BASS-GUITAR-Fender-Precision-Bass-August-13th-1966_W0QQitemZ280122888772QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BASS-GUITAR-Fender-P...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]
But is it really as old as it's claimed?

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='13765' date='Jun 7 2007, 07:37 PM']Here's one on the bay

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BASS-GUITAR-Fender-Precision-Bass-August-13th-1966_W0QQitemZ280122888772QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BASS-GUITAR-Fender-P...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]
But is it really as old as it's claimed?[/quote]

Ahahahaa