Why become a member? ×

P bass - what's it all about?

ngombe

[quote name='Rich' post='15453' date='Jun 11 2007, 10:12 AM']The only P-style bass I've ever enjoyed playing is Si Oldgit's gorgeous Shuker P-5... other than that, they simply aren't my cup of Lapsang.[/quote]

Well since you've brought the subject up.
My Shuker P5 neck is not really very much like the contemporary 4 string Fender. It's a five, of course, and it's very wide. I like like that. It's based on teh Ibanez BTB neck profile - ie very shallow. That may be why Rich likes it ..

In a bit of mutual appreciation, I really like Rich's Shuker jazz V but in general there are too may pickps and too many knobs on a Jazz for me, when I want to sound liek a fender, its a P I am looking for. That skinny jazz neck is just not wide enough for my fingers which are long and fat :)

I've always felt at home on P basses - US ones, MIJ ones I even had a JV series Squier - that was nice to play too.
In the 70's I had the holy grail of P-basses, a real 62. ( for 10 years or so) It had the very shallow profile neck. The 1980's MIJ 62 RI was extremely good as well and stunningly close to the real one.

I like the sound, of course, er which sound ? well I like all of the very varied sounds it can make that have been mentioned before. Brilliant for reggae too, just roll all the treble off and pluck them up by fret 20 .

I'm bemused by this talk of not being able to get the action down low .. I can't do it cos I don't fettle well, but I know a man who does and he's always managed to get mine down really low and with just enough fret rattle to sound right, even with my preference for rediculously light weight strings :huh:

So .. A great general purpose bass. I don't think they are the ultimate bass for a lot of people but they are generally a lot better than "good enough" for a most musical situations.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='15431' date='Jun 11 2007, 09:19 AM']Y'see, I'm sure Bravewood guitars play fine'n'dandy, I seem to be the only person in the world that thinks their body relic-ing is terrible.

Do all their customers really ask for them to be relic'd as if they've done three sets a night for thirty years in a termite colony?

Just wonderin'.[/quote]

They look great to me, and very realistic.

Maybe my brain is gone rubbished`

[quote name='Hutton' post='15425' date='Jun 11 2007, 08:46 AM']I know this thread is coming to an end but I thought I might make a case for the MIA 62 reissue as being a possibility. Like a few here I was dissappointed to learn that Bravewood were not making basses anymore. However, as it was known that I was on the lookout for a 60s P I was speechless when I was presented with a 62 MIA reissue when I left my last employment. The bass is absolutely brilliant. I love it and will set my German Shepherd on anyone who tries to remove it from my cold dead hands.
[attachment=602:Precision1.JPG]
And just in case!
[attachment=604:PA180030.JPG][/quote]

That bass is beautiful. Can't wait for the white to age. And it's great to see a dark neck on a RI again. My P-special is practically light brown.

[quote name='BB2000' post='13498' date='Jun 7 2007, 10:55 AM']You're a troll, and I claim my free prize ..[/quote]

:) I've just learned what that means! d'oh - such a noob! (I thought it meant a big ugly monster - I'm happy to own up to that).

Apologies if you thought I was trying to be divisive, far from it! I genuinely wanted advice and appreciated all that I got

As it goes I've decided that me and the P bass are going to get to know each other a bit more and we plan to live together happily ever after.