Why become a member? ×

Did John Entwistle Ever Play a Dean?

merello

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1196213' date='Apr 11 2011, 09:06 PM']Spotted these the other week.

I don't get it.

Boo.[/quote]

Nothing compares to this monstrosity:

The GIBSON Jimi Hendrix signature model :)

It seems his family will put his name on anything. There's a Jimi Hendrix vodka brand for gods sake!

We've seen these before:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=118032&hl=dean"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=118032&hl=dean[/url]

I think it's ok for them to license the shape but calling them a signature model is a bit off.
Why do we need an Entwhistle signature anyway? He played about a million basses!

Like Waldo said, just some people making a few bob off grandad's name. If they didn't do it now then Entwhistle's great great grandkids would do it years down the line, the money is there to be made.

It's amazing the amount of "signature" equipment that has sprung up years (decades even) after the artists' death. I have a Jimi Hendrix strap (bought cheap cos i needed a strap), my mate has a Hendrix signature Digitech pedal (it's cr@p). I don't think he'd touch either if he were around today!
Same story with these Deans i reckon.

A friend of mine showed me these ages ago, asking my opinion of them, I went a bit mental, and told him Dean might just as well bring out a Micheal Jackson/Elvis Presley/Jimi Hendrix and whoever else is deceased and never touched a Dean model..........And I'm not even a fan of Mr Entwhistle

Same thing with Dean's Dimebag BASS signature model, when the hell was he a bassist :)

I just wish the dean logo was toned down - It's really dated looking.

Particularly in Red, why didn't they go for Gold on the webs and inlays, and use the more modern script logo you see on the edge basses?

Also, the headstock they use on the Fenderbirds (as per the hillsboro?!? Sig basses) Is really fecking ugly.

For the Hendrix 'Gibson' we saw the press release before the idea was eventually scrapped, we pissed our sides for about a month.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='Lorne' post='1196240' date='Apr 11 2011, 09:31 PM']Same thing with Dean's Dimebag BASS signature model, when the hell was he a bassist :)[/quote]

To be fair he did have 15" drivers as part of his rig!

Incidentally Dimebag didn't use half the Dean/Randall stuff he endorsed when he was alive. The Warhead and the distortion pedal aren't part of his sound but he stuck his name on them. Same deal with his signature strings i think.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1196323' date='Apr 11 2011, 10:34 PM']Whoa!!! METAL DUDE, like chicks and flames and sh*t, awesome!

[url="http://www.deanguitars.com/home.php"]http://www.deanguitars.com/home.php[/url][/quote]
:) Teh Metulz! \m/
No offence, but I find nearly all the Dean stuff a bit lame.

Edited by Randy_Marsh

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='1196366' date='Apr 11 2011, 11:14 PM']:) Teh Metulz! \m/
No offence, but I find nearly all the Dean stuff a bit lame.[/quote]

Tho I agree, I find it mildly ironic that your avatar looks like Jeff Berlin :) On the international irony scale that's Alannis-Morrissette, fairly low and exponentially less severe than a Morrissey. The subtle similarity of those names is more ironic, for instance.

[quote name='sime17' post='1196387' date='Apr 11 2011, 11:46 PM']Tho I agree, I find it mildly ironic that your avatar looks like Jeff Berlin :) On the international irony scale that's Alannis-Morrissette, fairly low and exponentially less severe than a Morrissey. The subtle similarity of those names is more ironic, for instance.[/quote]
:lol: The international irony scale. I like that. I don't think I'll ever be able to look at my Avatar again without thinking of Jeff Berlin :) Much like looking at the Fedex logo and not being able to see the "hidden" arrow. I May have to find a different picture of Randy...

He NEVER played a Dean - total money making exercise, and I don't think they'll make that much either. He didn't actually play [i]that[/i] many over a near 40 year career...

Fender Precision
Fender Jazz (these till '71)
Gibson Thunderbird
Fenderbird (these till '75)
Alembic Series I
Alembic Exploiter/Spyder (these till '85)
Warwick Buzzard
Warwick Buzzard with Modulus graphite neck (these till '96)
Status Buzzard 1 and 2 (these until his death in 2002)

However, he owned hundreds!

BTW, no 'H' in Entwistle!!!! :)

[quote name='Lorne' post='1196983' date='Apr 12 2011, 04:22 PM']See, told you I wasn't a fan, I couldn't even spell his name :)

I still knew he never played one and[b] Alembic SHOULD be going mental over this[/b][/quote]

You'd imagine that a large company like Dean will have taken the appropriate advice over the designs :)

[quote name='Lorne' post='1196983' date='Apr 12 2011, 04:22 PM']See, told you I wasn't a fan, I couldn't even spell his name :)

I still knew he never played one and Alembic SHOULD be going mental over this[/quote]

Well they aren't happy judging by certain comments, but seeing as though John's Alembic had a Gibson shaped body - they can't really say anything.
Other than the cobwebs and the note inlay markers, there is little else to set John's Exploiter apart and they were probably John's design mods anyway...

[quote name='garethox' post='1196968' date='Apr 12 2011, 04:10 PM']He NEVER played a Dean - total money making exercise, and I don't think they'll make that much either. He didn't actually play [i]that[/i] many over a near 40 year career...

Fender Precision
Fender Jazz (these till '71)
Gibson Thunderbird
Fenderbird (these till '75)
Alembic Series I
Alembic Exploiter/Spyder (these till '85)
Warwick Buzzard
Warwick Buzzard with Modulus graphite neck (these till '96)
Status Buzzard 1 and 2 (these until his death in 2002)

However, he owned hundreds!

BTW, no 'H' in Entwistle!!!! :)[/quote]

Also played an Epiphone Rivoli and Rick 4001 and 8 string live (and possibly others, like his 4005s?) ....

Edited by 4000

[quote name='garethox' post='1196993' date='Apr 12 2011, 04:27 PM']Well they aren't happy judging by certain comments, but seeing as though John's Alembic had a Gibson shaped body - they can't really say anything.
Other than the cobwebs and the note inlay markers, there is little else to set John's Exploiter apart and they were probably John's design mods anyway...[/quote]

Hence the name [i]Exploiter[/i] I believe... :)

[quote name='Waldo' post='1196988' date='Apr 12 2011, 04:24 PM']You'd imagine that a large company like Dean will have taken the appropriate advice over the designs :)[/quote]

Like B.C.Rich did when they decided to threaten to sue the designer of the Bich for building his own logo'd Bich guitars, he was an outside contractor when he designed the Bich and was paid royalties until he left BCR for them using the Bich, fast forward about 20 years, a new company buy BCR and threaten to sue him, he can now build 100 of these things a year, he can't call them Bich though :) :lol: