Why become a member? ×

Hang Tags

Bankai

This should give you a clue :-)

[url="http://www.normansrareguitars.com/fender-1959-precision-bass-with-hang-tags.html"]http://www.normansrareguitars.com/fender-1...-hang-tags.html[/url][quote name='Bankai' post='1196135' date='Apr 11 2011, 07:49 PM']What are they? :)[/quote]

[quote name='lapolpora' post='1196420' date='Apr 12 2011, 12:45 AM']They've got a '58 Precision in slightly less mint condition for $16500, and a mint '63 Jazz for $25000![/quote]

There go any plans to acquire a bass from the year of my birth (per another thread) :) ...unless Sue Ryder released any earlier models...

[quote name='ead' post='1196492' date='Apr 12 2011, 08:19 AM']There go any plans to acquire a bass from the year of my birth (per another thread) :) ...unless Sue Ryder released any earlier models...[/quote]
Does it have to be a Fender?

You could probably get something British or German for less stupid money.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1196522' date='Apr 12 2011, 08:55 AM']Does it have to be a Fender?

You could probably get something British or German for less stupid money.[/quote]

Oooh interesting :) ...I am clearly much mistaken in thinking it was pretty much Fender/Gibson/Rickenbacker in 1960. Can you give me a few pointers please?

[quote name='ead' post='1196712' date='Apr 12 2011, 12:43 PM']Oooh interesting :) ...I am clearly much mistaken in thinking it was pretty much Fender/Gibson/Rickenbacker in 1960. Can you give me a few pointers please?[/quote]
Burns Guitars started off in 1960 with two bass models in their catalogue - the Artist and Sonic Basses. Unfortunately none of the early models featured serial numbers so unless they still have their date stickers in the control cavity you probably won't know for sure when they were made. They are both short scale basses but IMO are nicely made and have a very usable sound. I own a later model (around 1962) Sonic Bass which was my main instrument in the early 80s, and I'd certainly consider a 1960 model for a YoB Bass.

Alternatively get Happy Jack to tell you about Hofner Basses from 1960.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1196930' date='Apr 12 2011, 03:21 PM']Burns Weill Superstreamline. What a beauty.

[/quote]

I'm not sure I play well enough to get away with a bass looking like that, I'm afraid it's not doing it for me :) Still, the first Fender Jazz basses appeared in 1960 (I think) so will need to persuade Mrs ead to do more shifts...