Why become a member? ×

Lightning Bolt.

Sawtooth

[quote name='Musky' post='1194294' date='Apr 10 2011, 08:48 AM']They're an amazing prospect live - chaotic, frenzied and exhilarating.[/quote]

Who knows, if they ever decide to try adding music to that heady mix, they could really be onto something. :)

A barefaced cab would last approx 5 seconds at a LB gig :)

You either get it or you don't I suppose :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='1194447' date='Apr 10 2011, 11:41 AM']I've not heard of them before,but from watching them videos I gather that they are a bass and drum duo who [b]play incredibly sloppily and with no strict tempo and with no discernible melody?[/b][/quote]
Sounds a lot like every jazz band ever :lol:

[quote name='BassBod' post='1194470' date='Apr 10 2011, 12:08 PM']You wouldn't listen to it at home....on a sunny spring Sunday morning.....[/quote]

Thanks to this thread I just have! :)

Actually it's not as awful as I was expecting after reading through the comments. It's a bit like free jazz for people who don't like jazz, only it's a bit lacking in development of ideas - the slightly sloppy technique is part of the aesthetic, fair enough. One thing: the drummer is a surprisingly smart guy - ear defenders.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1194490' date='Apr 10 2011, 12:25 PM']One thing: the drummer is a surprisingly smart guy - ear defenders.[/quote]

He's lost a significant amount of his hearing. They started in 1994 and they tour extensively, apparently his ears are really screwed.

John Peel was a fan of Lightning Bolt, there's some videos of their Peel sessions floating around on the internet, although like all videos of them they're incredibly distorted because of the sheer volume of this band. They're big on playing "guerilla-gigs" in interesting places, one of which was outside John Peel's chalet first thing in the morning at one of the ATP Festivals.

Heh heh heh! I'm cackling like some sort of mad/sad puppetier reading the reactions to my thread!

I think the power of the emoticon sums up peoples opinion of Lightning Bolt rather beautifully and succinctly.

So far we've had ... :P :D :lol: :) :D :lol: :D :) :lol: :D

I personally love them. [i]But[/i], I also used to love dancing with my head practically wedged in a wall of 18" bassbins at raves.
I discovered them after winning a 'Death From Above 1979 - You're a woman, I'm a machine' CD in a 6music phone competition ...

...and went on to buy Lightning Bolt's back catalogue + 'The Power of Salad' DVD.

Although I fully agree that this is "horses for courses" and probably best enjoyed after a few wine gums rather than a delightfully sunny Sunday morning .... right, I'm off to chill out to Marvin Gaye's 'What's going on' in the garden.

Edit: for Sunday morning spelling.

Edited by Sawtooth