Why become a member? ×

potential new band..

3V17C

hmmm so a few weeks ago i see an advert for an established tribute band who are looking for a new bass player a.s.a.p - they're reasonably local and have lots of gigs booked all over the country and seem like a reasonable proposition (especially as I'm seriously skint and the money would be more than handy right now). I ring up and speak to the 'manager' who gives it all the usual spiel and its all systems go. I get sent a set list to learn with a view to an audition the following weekend. Couple of days later the manager rings up to see how i'm getting on with the songs etc and to say that he's still sorting out the rehearsal etc etc.. but then.. nothing! As the proposed rehearsal date looms I try ringing him to get confirmation that its still on and where its gonna be but can't get an answer. I leave several messages which all get no response until the night before the rehearsal is meant to be happening when finally he rings back. Apparently he's been in hospital so has not sorted anything out but will get back to me with a re-arranged date etc. Hmmmm.... he has however been updating his facebook etc during this time...

Anyways, another week or so passes still with radio silence and then late last week he calls me up to say rehearsals are going to be this weekend - all day fri and sat, he'll be in touch with the times/location etc. So again I've spent the week brushing up on the songs and again, as the proposed rehearsal date approaches I hear nothing! Now obviously I'm going to (try) to get in touch with him again today/tomorrow but I dunno, this poor lack of communication from a so called 'manager' bothers me. Aside from the fact that I have already rearranged stuff to make myself available for these rehearsals it worries me a little that the person in charge of the band/bookings etc seems so disorganized when it comes to something as straightforward as simple communication.

Also the manager is assuming that I'm definitely in as he's said the first gig will be next weekend... well, to be honest thats all well and good but until I meet and jam with the band I'm not gonna commit 100% to anything... they may be a bunch of tools for all i know! its not entirely about the music.

I've also noticed that in the last couple of days the band's facebook has been full of posts from another tribute band (to the same artist) slagging of this potential new band of mine because of lies, and apparent back stabbing with venues etc...... I don't know the details and the posts have been swiftly removed but obviously something is going on somewhere thats a bit more than any normal band rivalry.

I dunno, maybe I'm worrying too much... but as it says in the title, vague alarm bells are ringing. its quite annoying though as I've invested a lot of time learning a lot of songs for this. ah well.... we shall see i guess!!

aaaargh!!

C

As I get older I find reliability and courtesy in fellow musicians more and more important... :)

My gut feeling is if they can't organise a rehearsal or communicate, then gigging is likely to be a disaster... I know sh*t happens but this is a pretty consistent track record of mucking you around...

Cheers

Mark

+1

Run like the clappers. Far away. There's plenty of other bands out there. Unfortunately, with some tribute bands, being "busy" isn't necessarily the same as being "good" or being "rewarding". Besides which, they'll be blowing smoke up the ars* of anyone who's applying to be the new bassist.

Manager?! Huh. Yeah, right.

T

I agree. The manager doesn't sound very professional so god knows what the band is like.

Also, see if you can ring up the other tribute band and speak to them. They may help you make your mind up very quickly!

I would say go to the audition as you have learnt the songs but spell out that the communications so far have been poor.

From what I can read you have only dealt with the manager not the guys you will be playing with, so they may be a great bunch of guys and the gig an absolute dream.

[quote name='Dropzone' post='1190430' date='Apr 6 2011, 12:01 PM']I would say go to the audition as you have learnt the songs but spell out that the communications so far have been poor.

From what I can read you have only dealt with the manager not the guys you will be playing with, so they may be a great bunch of guys and the gig an absolute dream.[/quote]

yeah thats kinda what i figured.

i emailed the 'manager' this morning asking what was occurring.. are the rehearsals still on, and if so when and where.. surprisingly he did reply:

'rehearsals will be in the afternoon both days'

.. soooo.. none the wiser really! i hate keep having to chase people for basic information!!

peace

C

Don't get spooked by the communications glitches. Yes, it's discourteous but you never really know what's going on. Keep an open mind, it might work out. Even if it doesn't work out, you wouldn't have gained anything by going in with a suspicious attitude.

IME we bass players seem to want a lot more information than we actually need or is available.

I was asked to dep once for a band for another bass player. I was given a phone number of the guitarist, told the date of the gig and that it would be in North London. I rang it every day for a few days then phoned the bassist back and told him I'd had no luck. The bass player told me not to worry they would be in touch and I was definitely doing the gig.

Eventually the guitarist called on the Wednesday of the gig. I asked if we were going to rehearse and what was the setlist. He said don't worry they're just playing standards and he would be back in touch with times and actual venue detail. Saturday lunchtime he called back. Be at ..... at 7pm. Wear a coloured shirt, black trousers and shoes. See you there.

I got no pad, no rehearsal and spend 3 hours playing tunes I'd never heard before (seriously standards?) by watching the guitarists hand and listening hard.

Really what more info do you need?

Edited by TimR

If this manager is so inept at communicating with his own band, I dread to think how gigs/rehearsals/transport/accomodation (if necessary) would be arranged.

Without this guy in the picture, I`d say give it a go, see how the guys in the band are, but with him around - would be no from me, but then, I`m probably over the top OCD with communication/arrangements etc.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1190711' date='Apr 6 2011, 05:26 PM']I'm with markstuk here although I too would wait & see the band first. Alarm bells should be ringing but it *could* be quite genuine. A minor pain if you have had to put a lot into learning stuff. Fingers crossed it all works out ok[/quote]

Yep, you've learnt all the songs so you might as well audition if it's been organised. First thing to sort out though would be a new "Manager" by the sounds of things.

Go to the audition, get the job and then worry about anything else....money, gigs, etc etc etc

Having said that... if they can't be specific about the audition times, that is a black mark.
But I'd keep an open mind about it all until you get to see concrete details, have played with them etc etc ..

well cheers for all the responses... audition date/time/location etc now sorted (non specific backline provided apparently.. hmmm... methinks i'll take my own rig anyway!!!) so will see how it goes and hopefully get a chance to quiz some of the actual band members about details etc...

i'll keep you posted!!

cheers

C

I suppose the other thing is to remember is that an audition is like an interview.

Not only are they making sure you are suitable, you are making sure they are suitable.

If you get the offer, it doesn't mean you have to accept, or if you do accept you can make it on your terms.

It would be interesting to know which band it is?

Good luck

[quote name='3V17C' post='1190149' date='Apr 6 2011, 09:44 AM']hmmm so a few weeks ago i see an advert for an established tribute band who are looking for a new bass player a.s.a.p - they're reasonably local and have lots of gigs booked all over the country and seem like a reasonable proposition (especially as I'm seriously skint and the money would be more than handy right now). I ring up and speak to the 'manager' who gives it all the usual spiel and its all systems go. I get sent a set list to learn with a view to an audition the following weekend. Couple of days later the manager rings up to see how i'm getting on with the songs etc and to say that he's still sorting out the rehearsal etc etc.. but then.. nothing! As the proposed rehearsal date looms I try ringing him to get confirmation that its still on and where its gonna be but can't get an answer. I leave several messages which all get no response until the night before the rehearsal is meant to be happening when finally he rings back. Apparently he's been in hospital so has not sorted anything out but will get back to me with a re-arranged date etc. Hmmmm.... he has however been updating his facebook etc during this time...

Anyways, another week or so passes still with radio silence and then late last week he calls me up to say rehearsals are going to be this weekend - all day fri and sat, he'll be in touch with the times/location etc. So again I've spent the week brushing up on the songs and again, as the proposed rehearsal date approaches I hear nothing! Now obviously I'm going to (try) to get in touch with him again today/tomorrow but I dunno, this poor lack of communication from a so called 'manager' bothers me. Aside from the fact that I have already rearranged stuff to make myself available for these rehearsals it worries me a little that the person in charge of the band/bookings etc seems so disorganized when it comes to something as straightforward as simple communication.

Also the manager is assuming that I'm definitely in as he's said the first gig will be next weekend... well, to be honest thats all well and good but until I meet and jam with the band I'm not gonna commit 100% to anything... they may be a bunch of tools for all i know! its not entirely about the music.

I've also noticed that in the last couple of days the band's facebook has been full of posts from another tribute band (to the same artist) slagging of this potential new band of mine because of lies, and apparent back stabbing with venues etc...... I don't know the details and the posts have been swiftly removed but obviously something is going on somewhere thats a bit more than any normal band rivalry.

I dunno, maybe I'm worrying too much... but as it says in the title, vague alarm bells are ringing. its quite annoying though as I've invested a lot of time learning a lot of songs for this. ah well.... we shall see i guess!!

aaaargh!!

C[/quote]

*vague* alarm bells?

[b]run now![/b]

sounds like a lot of hassle in store.
I know it's harder to say no when you think you can make a bit of money, but I find that thinking about bands as you would about prospective girlfriends works well: if they have too much baggage, are prone to drama, etc... walk out fast.