Why become a member? ×

Bass advice...muddled head...

LukeFRC

Right, the selfish thread, in that it's all about me!

The background:

Started playing with a status shark 2 bass, awesome to learn on not great in a mix so when I was in my electro-art-pop band I went and got a CIJ P bass- awesome.
Sold the status, bought a Warwick Streamer stage one, sold that to get an awesome one.
Then sold the P bass to buy a squier version of the same bass- the 1983 JV squier you see in my sig.
It's brilliant.

The Problem:

Now the Warwick is brilliant, really light, beautiful to play, and i mean beautiful with a super skinny thin neck that doesn't seem to get bigger further up like a fender neck. Super fun to play. But... for me something in the tone, something subtle, isn't there. Where passive pickups seem to blossom and change as I change attack, this doesn't- it sounds more compressed.
Which isn't to say it doesn't sound great, it's big and beefy and fat, with a great fast attack and a great range of tones.... But I love the sound of it when other people play it more than when I play it... it's always like I'm fighting it slightly tonally. I think it seem to have been built for slap, it's slap tone is immense... but I don't really ever play slap (or want to)
I had a practice last monday (i don't play as much now, still settling into new city) and took the warwick as it is the most versatile- and it may have been the awful peavey amp, but it was just horrid. For the gig the P bass came out- as I can rely on it 100% (even with the volume knob playing up) and sounded great.

Solution No. 1 (Attempted):

I correctly surmised that the ideal combination of the passive P bass and the twin pupped Warwick was a jazz bass..... so I went and bought a couple....
First the red Valenti jazz on here.... which was awesome to play and sounded good.... but the sharp corners on the body and something about the look of it in the flesh I couldn't live with.... so sold to buy
Andy Travis' old Fender FSR '70 Jazz bass. Lovely, it sounded great and I really enjoyed it....
so what happened? Well I was coming up to moving house.. and not playing regularly I can't justify more than 2 basses... or having that much cash tied up in them... so looking at what I wanted to keep out of thoes two... I sold it.... Which in retrospect i possibly didn't need too, but I don't regret as hadn't grown super attatched to the jazz.

Solution No. 2
so now I am wondering if I should go ahead and (try) sell the Warwick and buy a jazz (Not nesserally a fender one, but jazz style... maybe 5 string is a thought I had)
It kinda would be a big deal for me, as I love playing the bass, but just not something about the tone of it....

Advice from people who've had far more basses than me?

Edited by LukeFRC

Well for the £2.50 that you will get for the Warwick.......

Only joking :)

If you feel like you need a change, go for it! A new bass always puts a smile on my face. On the other hand, if you really like the Warwick, why not try an outboard pre amp to give you a bigger variety of tones?

Jez

Think, as although you love the playability of the Warwick, but not the tone so much, sell it, and get a bass that has the tone you want.

I`ve just come to the same conclusion with my maple-necked Precision - I love playing it, its a fantastic bass, but the snappy sound of maple just isn`t "me" even though it does my two fave bassists (Bruce Foxton & JJ Burnell) so well. Great at home, but in a live situation, I`m a rosewood guy, so have now sold it, as someone should have the full benefit of it. And I now concentrate on my rosewood Precisions, which have "my" sound.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1182579' date='Mar 30 2011, 06:56 PM']Well for the £2.50 that you will get for the Warwick.......

Only joking :)

If you feel like you need a change, go for it! A new bass always puts a smile on my face. On the other hand, if you really like the Warwick, why not try an outboard pre amp to give you a bigger variety of tones?

Jez[/quote]

Hehehehe, It's not that bad anymore, I think it may be up at £2.75 now.
I had a wee preamp, but you can't add something that's not there, and partly it's the slight compression I don't like.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1182586' date='Mar 30 2011, 07:02 PM']Think, as although you love the playability of the Warwick, but not the tone so much, sell it, and get a bass that has the tone you want.

I`ve just come to the same conclusion with my maple-necked Precision - I love playing it, its a fantastic bass, but the snappy sound of maple just isn`t "me" even though it does my two fave bassists (Bruce Foxton & JJ Burnell) so well. Great at home, but in a live situation, I`m a rosewood guy, so have now sold it, as someone should have the full benefit of it. And I now concentrate on my rosewood Precisions, which have "my" sound.[/quote]

hmm thats what I am thinking......
(though I love maple on a precision- I think a lot of preference must come down to personal technique, I can make some basses sing, whereas for some folk the Warwick will be bliss.

There's nothing worse than enjoying an instrument, but you still can't get the sound . Very frustrating. I think you have the answer in selling the warwick and trying something new. Have you tried a Sandberg? lakland?. its sounds to me like you need to spend a bit of time finding a more versitile bass. or as is suggested if you love the feel of the warwick get some outboard stuff to colour the sound sansamp etc.

yeah, i think I do need to sell, my thinking is moving towards this... I played a wee bit of stuff when looking through the last set of jazz basses, so have vague ideas what I want it to sound like, and look like.

I don't want to go down the outboard route.

I've no idea if it is the pups, pre, fingerboard/body woods or neck-thru design (most likely culprit) but you are right that 'some' SSI basses do sound more compressed than other basses and though it may not be to your taste there are loads who, when they find it, 'love it'! :)

I don't think swapping out components will get you the sound that you require (i.e. a Jazz sound) so I'd sell and buy a Jazz... Tip - Put it on ebay.de as the interest is MAHOOSIVE compared to the UK. :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1182567' date='Mar 30 2011, 06:49 PM']Advice from people who've had far more basses than me?[/quote]

Try everything you can. I'm afraid it's just too personal... tastes etc.

Of course, I would have to suggest a Stingray. It's the one bass I can make sound good in any situation, with any amp, in any band.
It may not do much for you, but it's "the one" for me, in the sense that if I had to only have one bass (ouch, that thought hurts) it would be a Stingray.

Best, of course, to buy a couple of guitar racks and fill them up. :)

Now then, here's a very similar situation to mine - I love the Fortress to play, and I'm even getting used to the looks (ish), but the sounds not where I am. My FrankenP/J has just had a pair of Wizards fitted, and it's just the sound I've wanted, so I'm wondering if Wizards in the Fortress will bring it nearer to what I'm after. I'm also looking at a wenge/ebony neck for the P, to get the Fortress feel, but I've a sinking feeling this might bugger up the sound.

Oh, it's all so confusing... :) :)

I have had similar problems with active versus passive for years. It always seems that I prefer the sound of an active bass when I'm playing on my own at home, but in a rock band situation I seem to always find that a passive bass just punches through much better. I love my jazz, but I have to say that since I did my RBX project with the Dimarzios in, the p/j config is killer! just gives more punch and guts than jj but you've still got nice definition from the j.

My suggestion then, from what you've said, is find a p/j that you like and stick some hot pickups in it if needs be.

• 2 weeks later...

so I stuck it up for sale, got a few interesting trade offers and then went tried out a few things in the guitar shop after work.... and thinking....

then this morning before work just grab the warwick and mess about with it unplugged... and... it fits my hand like a glove and sounds.... well pretty good unplugged. It has that dark quality to it, my JV squier and the cimar jazz have maple fretboards and have a more resonant (middy?) projecting sound) you can hear it's slightly more low mids rather than the lower resonance of the cimar (sen ash and maple neck)....
so then what

well check the net and look for circuit diagrams... it could be something is going to ground too early and sucking some of the tone, but no it seems to be all there, so then what? battery..... putting out 9.02v across it....
Well I raised the pickup as I realised they were quite low... and then the tone is getting there and the sound improves massively- my daft setup skills?
But then passive mode and wow, the life is back there, and the mids are back and open.
It sounds like the preamp is doing something strange, like it's got a lowermid cut and the topend too, and then you can add them back (but not in the right places) with the knobs.... does that make sense.
This normal?

so i liked it in passive mode, did just notice i had the mids on the amp up a wee bit, but not a problem!

Defo sounds like something odd is happening as the active tone should be like the passive tone but on steroids!

Not to everyone's taste but I can't bear to run active basses in passive mode and certainly never any of my Warwicks. You do have a fresh, good quality battery in don't you (a battery reading 9v when 'tested' does not necessarily mean that it is giving out 9v under load)? It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that the preamp is fried as I've heard occasional stories of folks doing all sorts of strange things to active circuits to get more out of them (putting 18v through dedicated 9v circuits etc).

[quote name='ahpook' post='1183070' date='Mar 31 2011, 10:33 AM']i'd replace the preamp and/or pickups in the warwick.

i had a similar feeling about my fortress...loved the feel of it but didn't get on with the sound.

i got hold of some bartolini pickups and put a glockenklang pre and it's the business now.[/quote]

Yup. This.
If you sell the SS1, you'll end up regretting it. It's good to have a variety of basses. Ok, you like your P-bass. That's great. Doesn't mean you have to go and buy more of them, though!
IIRC, if you pull up the volume contol on the SS1, it'll run in passive mode. How does it sound then? If still not close to what you require, consider changing the pick-ups first?

Edit- DUH! should've read your posts about it before suggesting it!
Okay, maybe swap out the pre-amp, then!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1197545' date='Apr 12 2011, 10:58 PM']Yup. This.
If you sell the SS1, you'll end up regretting it. It's good to have a variety of basses. Ok, you like your P-bass. That's great. Doesn't mean you have to go and buy more of them, though!
IIRC, if you pull up the volume contol on the SS1, it'll run in passive mode. How does it sound then? If still not close to what you require, consider changing the pick-ups first?[/quote]

yeah I think you may be right, thats what im thinking,

see the previous post about the passive mode experiments....

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1197523' date='Apr 12 2011, 10:47 PM']Defo sounds like something odd is happening as the active tone should be like the passive tone but on steroids!

Not to everyone's taste but I can't bear to run active basses in passive mode and certainly never any of my Warwicks. You do have a fresh, good quality battery in don't you (a battery reading 9v when 'tested' does not necessarily mean that it is giving out 9v under load)? It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that the preamp is fried as I've heard occasional stories of folks doing all sorts of strange things to active circuits to get more out of them (putting 18v through dedicated 9v circuits etc).[/quote]

9.1v under load, it's not that new a battery mind so may try another one. (writing the date on batteries when you put them in- genius idea)

Any idea what's in the preamp box? or if it's openable? or what type of caps are in there???

A thought occurs...

I don't think the MEC Eq is going to be very user-serviceable. If you elect to change the pre, go to a shop and try the bass (in passive mode) through some of the stomp-box equivalents of on-board pre-amps (thinking specifically of the Aguilar Tone Hammer here). It might give you an indication of what to expect if you change the MEC Eq for another brand. Maybe consider a unit with 3 bands, a mid-freq sweep and a passive tone control. That'd surely get you close to what you wanted (?)

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1197571' date='Apr 12 2011, 11:06 PM']9.1v under load, it's not that new a battery mind so may try another one. (writing the date on batteries when you put them in- genius idea)

Any idea what's in the preamp box? or if it's openable? or what type of caps are in there???[/quote]

From the date of your bass, the preamp will likely be an epoxy sealed MEC unit; absolutely NO chance of tinkering with it!

Open up the cover and check, it'll take seconds.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1197607' date='Apr 12 2011, 11:18 PM']From the date of your bass, the preamp will likely be an epoxy sealed MEC unit; absolutely NO chance of tinkering with it!

Open up the cover and check, it'll take seconds.[/quote]

yeah, just the hope you would say you can get into it.
Thinking that a new preamp may be an FAR better idea than selling....

any recomendations on what to try, although im not going to drill any new holes!

No new holes required with stacked pots. However be sure to try a few pre pedals as suggested because some inboard pres can be pricey (you don't want to know the cost of a new MEC unit), in fact I'd be tempted to leave it in passive and run it through a pedal (Aguilar, Sadowsky etc) then you can use it with the passive P or whatever bass you like.