Why become a member? ×

Low standards

Bloc Riff Nut

Every now and then when surfing for secondhand goods I come across Bass guitars at reasonable prices but I'm put off by blemishes. If there's a ding on the headstock or a scratch or chip on the body I'm just not interested, but I seem to have accepted Bucklerash.
Maybe this is because my own instruments are pristine except for this one ailment.

Bucklerash - yes
The rest - no thanks.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1181102' date='Mar 29 2011, 06:03 PM']I thank fussy people like you who leave the mildly blemished bargains for people like me :)[/quote]

I quite like the fact my main P has dings in it, I was stressed every time I took my spotless Ric out, it shouldn't be like that

BTW, do people with new road worns worry about getting real dings

[quote name='chris_b' post='1181089' date='Mar 29 2011, 05:58 PM']Bucklerash is careless and unnecessary.[/quote]

+1

Buckle rash ? cant you go an see you Dr an get cream for that ? or is that "ring rash" I'm thinking of ?? lol either way neither are acceptable in my book .

I brought my second Stingray with some kind of ???? rash ?? bearing in mind that the bass is a 2005 model an Ive had it 2yrs how this happened to it is anybody guess.

Have since cleaned it up an filled in / touched up but still .... ouch how the hell did anybody let that happen to it is anybodies guess.

Its a sweet player cosmetics aside, thats why i brought it :)

Edited by danny-79

Just thought id add a "after pic" not the best job in the world an wasn't meant to be for £3.49 for a bottle of black nail varnish !
But it does the job (kind of)....

Moral of the story, don't let a few battle scars put you off picking up an awesome player just cause it looks a bit rough !

Edited by danny-79

[quote name='Bloc Riff Nut' post='1181032' date='Mar 29 2011, 05:14 PM']Every now and then when surfing for secondhand goods I come across Bass guitars at reasonable prices but I'm put off by blemishes. If there's a ding on the headstock or a scratch or chip on the body I'm just not interested, but I seem to have accepted Bucklerash.
Maybe this is because my own instruments are pristine except for this one ailment.

Bucklerash - yes
The rest - no thanks.[/quote]

Whilst I don't like to damage them... unless I use them only at home and with the utmost care, they will gather a few marks over time. If I cared so much I think I'd given up playing!

[quote name='danny-79' post='1181271' date='Mar 29 2011, 08:00 PM']+1

Buckle rash ? cant you go an see you Dr an get cream for that ? or is that "ring rash" I'm thinking of ?? lol either way neither are acceptable in my book .

I brought my second Stingray with some kind of ???? rash ?? bearing in mind that the bass is a 2005 model an Ive had it 2yrs how this happened to it is anybody guess.

Have since cleaned it up an filled in / touched up but still .... ouch how the hell did anybody let that happen to it is anybodies guess.

Its a sweet player cosmetics aside, thats why i brought it :)[/quote]

looks like "the dog ate my bass" :)

I'm not fussed :)

My Strat was pristine and I never player it.

The Rogue has had a gigged life but feels and plays great.

I took it to a shop last week whilst searching for a giggable amp.

A punter in the shop said 'if you don't buy that, I will' lol

Looks aren't everything (I tell myself looking in a mirror)

I'm all for beat-up instruments myself, although I draw the line at intentional relicing. I have a HWY1 Strat that's coming along nicely just with being played and being kept at hand in a tiny house with a large me, and I love it. I never really feel an instrument's mine until I've played the hell out of it, and it's always good to have an extra incentive to play more!

My white Precision now has some marks in the nitro coating, and to me, this adds to the bass, making it look as if it`s been gigged a lot (which indeed it has) and adds character to it, as the wear is individual to me, and my clumsiness.

Both of my other basses, which have been used at home only are in very good condition, in comparison.

I don't care, they're tools, as long as they play and sound nice, they fill thier purpose.

My Sandberg is battered, it started off life as a "soft aged" finish, then by the time I got it, it's had a few bumps and scrapes and I've not really been careful with it. It looks great though, sounds and plays fantastically too. Until I got this, I didn't really like relic'd finishes (and it put my off my Sandberg a bit when I first saw it, not enough to pass it up though) after owning one for a while though it's great. I don't have to make sure it's always on a stand, if someone else knocks it I don't care, when I stood it up on a seat a while ago and it fell off, despite lots of people swearing very loudly, I wasn't one of them. :)

I've got a sunburt Norman B18 acoustic with a nitro finish, and as the years tick by it's picking up more and more little marks and dings. I love it, it's part of the instrument's character to me. Big marks caused by dropping or careless use are a turn off, though.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1182075' date='Mar 30 2011, 12:34 PM']You are right, they are only tools but a good workman looks after his tools.[/quote]

Within reason, yes. I gig a lot and if I was precious about them, it'd make everything take twice as long (just for example, I'd be looking for a stand every time I wanted to put it down) and I'd be wary on stage, making the show less energetic (not that I throw my gear about, I still use expensive stuff that I don't want to damage). But I'm not bothered about accidents. The guitarist/singer in my band is notoriously clumsy and I let him use it when we're jamming or messing about and he knocks it about then looks at me worried, which always makes me laugh.

In saying that though, most of my instruments are in good condition. The Sandberg's the only one that's really been knocked about and that's because I love it and feel it's a keeper so I don't need to worry about re-sale value. Because it was less than perfect condition when I got it, I don't need to worry about marking it. The Ibanez BTB I used for 8 or so years still only has 3 marks I can think of, one's a tiny knock on the body that's not gone through the paint, one's a chip on the headstock where it fell onto the edge of a cymbol in my room (nasty looking, but has never affected it other than cosmetically) and the other's a small mark on the back of the neck which is around the 5th fret and has served me well when I can't see what I'm doing on stage as a marker. :)

If any of them got damaged in a way that did affect it's use, it'd be sorted right away. I look after my tools, I just don't mind their cosmetic condition.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1182076' date='Mar 30 2011, 12:35 PM']My basses are cheap, they fall over, I laugh, other people look surprised.
Happy times. No stands for me, they take up space.[/quote]

cheap basses?

hmm...

is the P-bass in your avatar a Westfield by any chance?

[quote name='watchman' post='1181908' date='Mar 30 2011, 10:08 AM']I never really feel an instrument's mine until I've played the hell out of it, and it's always good to have an extra incentive to play more![/quote]

+1

I feel the same way. Until I've broken in a new instrument and it's got a few battle scars (even just minor scratches) I don't feel as though it's part of my flock.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1182896' date='Mar 31 2011, 12:08 AM']cheap basses?

hmm...

is the P-bass in your avatar a Westfield by any chance?[/quote]

Ah, McNach, not even that classy, she used to be a Sunn Mustang, I am very fond of her, and have rebuilt her many times. Irreplaceable in many ways, but I would replace her if I had to.