Why become a member? ×

Tiny little rigs!

lemmywinks

[quote name='voxpop' post='1206862' date='Apr 21 2011, 11:05 AM']Here's my small gig / rehearsal rig......

[attachment=78052:DSCN1345.JPG]

SWR Headlite with a Working Pro 10 cab. Small, clear and compact.[/quote]
Christ that's minute! That Headlite can't be much bigger than my MB200, wow :)

[quote name='Shonks' post='1209502' date='Apr 23 2011, 08:34 PM']reviews tell me the the little giant range, like the Superfly don't really cut it, and from what I can tell, the Markbass needs a mortgage to be able to buy one. Are they that good??[/quote]

The LMIIs are around £350 2nd hand on here - a total no brainer for that sort of money. There's one here in a custom made case for that amount:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=133151"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=133151[/url]

I actually quite like my Superfly, however they were plagued with problems and faults like you said. Mine is still going strong and gets used every day so i reckon i've got a survivor, they'll be rare and valuable one day because so many let out the magic smoke!.
They work best with 2 sensitive cabs but i get practice volume out of mine with a little 8ohm EA cab as shown in the first post. Also the volume pot needs cranking as it's linear, not like a lot of amps which are at full volume on 2 or 3!
As they usually go for around £100 on here and the last few i've seen on eBay have gone for £10-£20 more than that they are still a good option IMO, you just need to be aware of what they can and can't do and what cabs they work with.
One thing i wanted to try was wiring an 8ohm Ashdown 4x8 cab up to 2 Speakons, utilising the full output of the Superfly with a very compact cab, i reckon that would be enough volume.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1209548' date='Apr 23 2011, 08:40 PM']The LMIIs are around £350 2nd hand on here - a total no brainer for that sort of money. There's one here in a custom made case for that amount:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=133151"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=133151[/url]

I actually quite like my Superfly, however they were plagued with problems and faults like you said. Mine is still going strong and gets used every day so i reckon i've got a survivor, they'll be rare and valuable one day because so many let out the magic smoke!.
They work best with 2 sensitive cabs but i get practice volume out of mine with a little 8ohm EA cab as shown in the first post. Also the volume pot needs cranking as it's linear, not like a lot of amps which are at full volume on 2 or 3!
As they usually go for around £100 on here and the last few i've seen on eBay have gone for £10-£20 more than that they are still a good option IMO, you just need to be aware of what they can and can't do and what cabs they work with.
One thing i wanted to try was wiring an 8ohm Ashdown 4x8 cab up to 2 Speakons, utilising the full output of the Superfly with a very compact cab, i reckon that would be enough volume.[/quote]
i had the Superfly matching 2x8 & 1x15 and it was still not powerfull enough. I'm in several live situations at the moment, and it probably would have been ok for the jazz stuff, but definatly not loud enough for the blues outfit.
Still to much to carry about for the jazz venues.
Love a small powerful combo that would do it all!!

[quote name='Shonks' post='1210082' date='Apr 24 2011, 03:22 PM']i had the Superfly matching 2x8 & 1x15 and it was still not powerfull enough. I'm in several live situations at the moment, and it probably would have been ok for the jazz stuff, but definatly not loud enough for the blues outfit.
Still to much to carry about for the jazz venues.
Love a small powerful combo that would do it all!![/quote]

Ah yeah i remember the FS thread now! Strange, you'd think the cabs from that range would be enough, i remember a guy on Talkbass using them with a pair of 4hm 1x15 cabs and finding them more than loud enough.

This is an awesome thread.

Just wanted to share a pickie of my Epifani UL 502 amp and Epifani UL 110 cab that I use at home and small gigs.

When I play bigger gigs I use the same amp matched with an Epifani UL 410 cab

IT's SWEET :)

[attachment=78396:IMG_0171.JPG]

Edited by Chris Horton

[quote name='Chris Horton' post='1211144' date='Apr 25 2011, 07:22 PM']This is an awesome thread.

Just wanted to share a pickie of my Epifani UL 502 amp and Epifani UL 110 cab that I use at home and small gigs.

When I play bigger gigs I use the same amp matched with an Epifani UL 410 cab

IT's SWEET :)

[attachment=78396:IMG_0171.JPG][/quote]
I think thats the great thing about these tiny rigs, You get to use your favourite amp between gigs which also means you get used to how it works etc. Love em' :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1210104' date='Apr 24 2011, 04:08 PM']Ah yeah i remember the FS thread now! Strange, you'd think the cabs from that range would be enough, i remember a guy on Talkbass using them with a pair of 4hm 1x15 cabs and finding them more than loud enough.[/quote]

Agreed!!

I'm still using the Superfly 500 Head through the matching 2x8 and 1x15 Superfly and I can only [i][b]imagine[/b][/i] how high the onstage volume would have to be before it couldn't make itself heard!!!

Doesn't bear thinking about really. :) :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1207075' date='Apr 21 2011, 01:54 PM']Yeah second lot too:-( and an ext cab I later bought separately :) To me the promethean sound more scooped and hi -fi and refined than the midget which was very snarly, bitey,woody mid bark type sounding, if that makes any sense?!:0)[/quote]

Very good description of the midget sound imo.

note to self - must get pics of my EA/Midget up here :)

I also got 2x12". It's a TecAmp Puma 112 Combo (12,5kg) and a TecAmp XS112 Cab (10Kg) Sounds so awesome and huge. Just sold my bigger Stack, because there won't be a Situation where I would need more to hear me on Stage. I was annoyed to carry Tons of heavy Cabs and Amps just as my personal Monitor on Stage.

So this does it very well for me.

Edited by AREA