Why become a member? ×

Last minute "take it away" purchases

mrtcat

Damn, you took the words right out of my mouth there.
I certainly don't advocate burying onesself under a mountain of credit cards and unsustainable debt, but surely some credit is unavoidable, e.g. the aforementioned mortgage?

[quote name='Kev' post='1175446' date='Mar 25 2011, 12:09 AM']Couldn't disagree with you more. I bought a £900 bass on the take it away scheme, now fully paid off and i sold it to buy my dream bass. There is no way i would have been able to do that had i not entered into that scheme,.[/quote]

Surely if you could pay off the loan over 9 months then you could have saved that same amount and bought the bass at the end of the 9 months, or even have put the money directly into the dream bass, thus avoiding the loss (I assume) on selling it second hand.

True you wouldn't have had then bass for 9 months, but then you ended up selling it anyway.

EDIT: Whoops I see I was beaten to it with this sentiment.
Also, normally yes,it's no one else's business, but when you post it on an internet forum then you are inviting peoples opinions.

Edited again: Yes I have a mortgage, but that is slightly different due to the long term nature of the loan.

Edited by Count Bassy

I've used this scheme a lot.

Dingwall Combustion
Shuttle Max 12.0
Shutte Max 3 10T
Mono Bass Case / Laptop bag

I've had no problems paying and I just find it easier to pay once a month over saving. As saving burns a hole deep in my pocket!!!

My income and out goings are managed well so for me it's perfect.

Everyone to their own I guess!

The OP wasnt about why people shouldnt take out credit!!!!

I think we should maybe get back onto the OP topic of what would you like to get before the scheme changes, rather than should people use credit or not.

As said above, its your business and nobody elses and everyone has different uses and views on credit!

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1176248' date='Mar 25 2011, 05:58 PM']The OP wasnt about why people shouldnt take out credit!!!!

I think we should maybe get back onto the OP topic of what would you like to get before the scheme changes, rather than should people use credit or not.

As said above, its your business and nobody elses and everyone has different uses and views on credit![/quote]
Hear hear....

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1176284' date='Mar 25 2011, 06:16 PM']Yep :) 4 of 9 payments gone now.[/quote]

I was put on the March electorate registry, yet equifax think I am still not on the register. So I dont know what to think!

Rather embarrasing to be rejected on the phone, especially when the shop guy on the other end was a BCer!

[quote name='Shockwave' post='1176372' date='Mar 25 2011, 07:03 PM']I was put on the March electorate registry, yet equifax think I am still not on the register. So I dont know what to think!

Rather embarrasing to be rejected on the phone, especially when the shop guy on the other end was a BCer![/quote]
I got removed a few years ago (must of ticked a wrong box?) messed up our mortgage! Make sure your on there and try again I guess?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1176386' date='Mar 25 2011, 07:10 PM']I got removed a few years ago (must of ticked a wrong box?) messed up our mortgage! Make sure your on there and try again I guess?[/quote]

I was put on the Electoral Roll on the March registery, I am on there! Confirmation and everything.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1176408' date='Mar 25 2011, 07:27 PM']Not sure what you can do then, Is there a referal system or did the "computer says no"?[/quote]

I am in talks with Equifax about the matter.

Have to sort this out before i turn 26 in July!

I think they will sort it if all is as it should be its just hard getting someone to sort those sorts of problem out, I always get the idiot on the helpline. Last time I had a tech problem with my internet not working the helpline says if you are busy try looking online in their help section! If I was online I wouldnt be ringing or chosen the internet is not working press 5 etc etc etc...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1176450' date='Mar 25 2011, 07:54 PM']I think they will sort it if all is as it should be its just hard getting someone to sort those sorts of problem out, I always get the idiot on the helpline. Last time I had a tech problem with my internet not working the helpline says if you are busy try looking online in their help section! If I was online I wouldnt be ringing or chosen the internet is not working press 5 etc etc etc...[/quote]

Its more of a "No one can agree what my exact address is" problem.

Its just different names for the same place, the council think its "Flat, 93 Insert Road name here" I think its "93A Insert Road name here" and Equifax thinks its just "93 Insert Road name here" Which is the shop downstairs.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='1176458' date='Mar 25 2011, 07:59 PM']Its more of a "No one can agree what my exact address is" problem.

Its just different names for the same place, the council think its "Flat, 93 Insert Road name here" I think its "93A Insert Road name here" and Equifax thinks its just "93 Insert Road name here" Which is the shop downstairs.[/quote]

I had this problem a few years ago. Turned out it was actually to do with my national insurance number. Maybe go down down to your local job centre and make sure all is in line with your NI?

[quote name='MythSte' post='1176465' date='Mar 25 2011, 08:06 PM']I had this problem a few years ago. Turned out it was actually to do with my national insurance number. Maybe go down down to your local job centre and make sure all is in line with your NI?[/quote]

My NI is no problem. 100% sure of that.

Kinda expected the "credit debate" but like has been said it's each to their own. Some people use credit cards, some have mortgages, some buy cars on finance and nobody frowns at that even tho they all incur interest. Martin Lewis has always encouraged interest free deals as long as you're responsible.

Seems some retailers are more flexible than others as to what you can take the finance on with some sticking to the instrument only. I guess this thread should have been titled "what peices of kit are people craving?" the mention of finance has kind of distracted a few people.

I'm about to upgrade completely and order a GB streamliner and Bergantino AE112 cab.
I'm 50, no kids, an understanding wife, pretty well paid, no great debt and would normally buy cash except when 0% interest is available.
So why not ???

If its an available option - use it - that's what its there for. Doesn't cost anything and lets you get what you want when you want it - within reason that is.

Shame its being limited to under 26's.
Is that not ageism and illegal these days under European law. :)

Dave

:)

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1176635' date='Mar 25 2011, 10:15 PM']I'm about to upgrade completely and order a GB streamliner and Bergantino AE112 cab.
I'm 50, no kids, an understanding wife, pretty well paid, no great debt and would normally buy cash except when 0% interest is available.
So why not ???[/quote]

I'm in a similar position, and I wouldn't use this system again - for two reasons:

One, their finance department screwed up the collection of payments. It's a long story, we eventually rang up and said, just tell us what we owe and we'll pay it off.

Two: when they did, and we did, it turns out that they got that wrong as well. And some of the threats and tactics they used on me were beyond the pale, given that it was their screw-up in the first place. Made me very angry and I'll never use the scheme again, or encourage anyone else I know to do so.

If you do this, never ever answer phone calls. Make sure everything is in writing. It probably won't go wrong for you, but if it does ...