Why become a member? ×

Advice on playing with other people?

Rixy

I believe that I am a decent bassist. I've been called "very good" by others, but I don't want to get cocky. While this is nice and all, I don't really have anyone to play with. I have friends, but they're not into music like I am. I'm really into the current UK Ska/Reggae/Punk scene: Sonic Boom Six, Mouthwash, JB Conspiracy, Jimmy the Squirrel, Stuck in 2nd etc. and it would be really fun to get into that kind of music. Problem is, I barely know any musicians that are into that kind of music. I have a friend I jam with sometimes, but he tends to go out of key all the time and frequently bends notes. I'd just be happy with a simple offbeat jam, but once again I'm kind of stuck in a rut as I don't know many people with similar tastes to mine.

I was going to put up an advertisement, but I'm wondering whether I'd be able to play with other people in the first place. The only amp I have is a Roland Microcube. I fear it wouldn't have the volume to hang in with other musicians. I'm completely skint, and while I can play proficiently I can't even afford a decent intermediate bass. I guess what I'm wondering is what did you guys have when you started out playing in bands? Many I'm over thinking and I should just get out there and play? I'd really like to play some form of reggae or ska. I wouldn't mind hanging in the back and laying down some low riddims. I don't really expect to be Les Claypool or Victor Wooten. Do you guys have any advice on my little dilemma?

[quote name='Rixy' post='1173690' date='Mar 23 2011, 07:09 PM']I believe that I am a decent bassist. I've been called "very good" by others, but I don't want to get cocky. While this is nice and all, I don't really have anyone to play with. I have friends, but they're not into music like I am. I'm really into the current UK Ska/Reggae/Punk scene: Sonic Boom Six, Mouthwash, JB Conspiracy, Jimmy the Squirrel, Stuck in 2nd etc. and it would be really fun to get into that kind of music. Problem is, I barely know any musicians that are into that kind of music. I have a friend I jam with sometimes, but he tends to go out of key all the time and frequently bends notes. I'd just be happy with a simple offbeat jam, but once again I'm kind of stuck in a rut as I don't know many people with similar tastes to mine.

I was going to put up an advertisement, but I'm wondering whether I'd be able to play with other people in the first place. The only amp I have is a Roland Microcube. I fear it wouldn't have the volume to hang in with other musicians. I'm completely skint, and while I can play proficiently I can't even afford a decent intermediate bass. I guess what I'm wondering is what did you guys have when you started out playing in bands? Many I'm over thinking and I should just get out there and play? I'd really like to play some form of reggae or ska. I wouldn't mind hanging in the back and laying down some low riddims. I don't really expect to be Les Claypool or Victor Wooten. Do you guys have any advice on my little dilemma?[/quote]

Where are you based?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1173692' date='Mar 23 2011, 07:12 PM']Where are you based?[/quote]

Derby, East midlands

I can't jump into it straight away, as I have some studies and exams to get out of the way in a few months. Not to mention get new strings, new picks, new leads and a new strap as the lonely bassist inside of me has kind of given up a little bit and has moved onto banjo and acoustic guitar. But hey, I'm still trying to hang in there :)

It is important to play with other people. If you can't afford a bigger amp at the mo you will just have to play quietly, which isn't necessarily a bad thing anyway.

Even if you can't find other musos who are in to your kind of stuff, just go for it. It will all be good experience.

In the early days I couldn't afford my own amp. But the guitarist had a woolworths combo with four inputs, so I went in to that, along with two guitars and the vocal. Sounded absolutely atrocious, but we didn't care it was just exciting making some noise.

When I did finally get my own amp, our manager (the guitarists mum) said that I really ought to play the right notes now that I could be heard. :)

Sorry, waffling a bit.

Bottom line: Don't put off doing it because you fear you haven't got the right kit. Make the most of what you have got and just enjoy learning.

Best of luck with it.

[quote name='Rixy' post='1173699' date='Mar 23 2011, 07:17 PM']Derby, East midlands

I can't jump into it straight away, as I have some studies and exams to get out of the way in a few months. Not to mention get new strings, new picks, new leads and a new strap as the lonely bassist inside of me has kind of given up a little bit and has moved onto banjo and acoustic guitar. But hey, I'm still trying to hang in there :)[/quote]

Rubbish, if you'd been down here it would have been awesome, I think I've played with all the bands you sited in the OP would have loved to have done something.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1173703' date='Mar 23 2011, 07:22 PM']Rubbish, if you'd been down here it would have been awesome, I think I've played with all the bands you sited in the OP would have loved to have done something.[/quote]

Ah, that sucks :)

Are you in a band like that then? I wouldn't mind giving it a listen.

Dont worry about kit! I started on a 'borrowed' bass and amp from my Dads old school. It was extremely top heavy bass which I ended up putting a 5 kilo weight on the body to balance it out and the tiniest of guitar amps, not even a bass one at that.

I played loads in my room and started a garage band with a couple of friends through some friends. Play at buskers nights as itll be playing with other people. There are buskers nights out there which cater for full bands, turn up, introduce your self to the organiser. Make him aware you're a bassist and you'd like to play something, heck, even blues! Easy structures and its only one step away from reggae/ska. This is one way you'll make tonnes of contacts.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Dan

Thanks guys. I'm going to clean up my bass over the next few months and get out there and see what happens. Hopefully when I get a job and some income things will get better. By the way, age wouldn't be a matter would it? I'm actually quite young, only 18. I don't think I've ever seen Ska/Reggae bands in their teens. Most teenage bands I see are punk, rock or metal. I don't have a problem with that, but it doesn't really interest me. I often jokingly say to myself [i]John Frusciante was in the Red Hot Chili Peppers when he was 18, what am I doing with my life!?[/i] :)

[quote name='Rixy' post='1173732' date='Mar 23 2011, 07:43 PM']Thanks guys. I'm going to clean up my bass over the next few months and get out there and see what happens. Hopefully when I get a job and some income things will get better. By the way, age wouldn't be a matter would it? I'm actually quite young, only 18. I don't think I've ever seen Ska/Reggae bands in their teens. Most teenage bands I see are punk, rock or metal. I don't have a problem with that, but it doesn't really interest me. I often jokingly say to myself [i]John Frusciante was in the Red Hot Chili Peppers when he was 18, what am I doing with my life!?[/i] :)[/quote]

Age shouldn't matter really, I was in a club band when I was 18! John Frusciante was in the chilis at 17 I heard, and turned down a job in the Frank Zappa band at 15.

I was in a ska band a few years ago and the drummer hadn't got his GCSE's! So keep looking!

Dan

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1173721' date='Mar 23 2011, 07:30 PM']Get on joinmyband and similar sites, explain your situation.

If you're using practice rooms there's usually rig you can play through anyway, most important thing is to get out there and get playing, preferably with a decent drummer, good luck!![/quote]

Yes indeed. I've put a couple of ads on there and on Bandmix. I've been propositioned a number of times. Some I've I had to turn down I'm simply not that sort of bass player :)

When I started in a band last year I only had a 35w practice amp, so used the rigs at practice rooms all the time, cost me about a quid I seem to remember.

[quote name='pietruszka' post='1173741' date='Mar 23 2011, 07:49 PM']I was in a ska band a few years ago and the drummer hadn't got his GCSE's![/quote]
...that's not unusual for drummers. :)

Back to the OP, just do it. Playing with other musicians is a real education, and you can learn loads from even one rehearsal. On the flip side to this, you'll probably have an approach to music that's different from theirs, and they can pick stuff up from you.

One bit of advice is to listen to each other. I've played with quite a few different musos and some players treat the first rehearsal as a speed/technique-fest to establish a hierarchy or to 'prove themselves'.

I tend not to ask these ones back.

[quote name='pietruszka' post='1173741' date='Mar 23 2011, 07:49 PM']Age shouldn't matter really, I was in a club band when I was 18! John Frusciante was in the chilis at 17 I heard, and turned down a job in the Frank Zappa band at 15.[/quote]

Not quite....

Apparently he got an audition but never went after finding out about Zappas anti drug policy.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1173784' date='Mar 23 2011, 08:11 PM']Not quite....

Apparently he got an audition but never went after finding out about Zappas anti drug policy.[/quote]

And Zappa's anti-mediocrity, anti-pentatonic and 'you-can't-play-the-same-thing/rip-off-hendrix twice' policies...

Do it!!!

There's rarely the perfect time to get out there. Don't worry about gear people won't worry about that initially. Age won't matter to most and a keen 18yr old will be a breath of fresh air in many bands.

Good luck

I saved up and bought a lousy Laney 100W combo to do my first band when I was 15/16. I fitted castors to the bottom so I could push it around and I would take it to gigs on the bus. It wasn't great but it was an amp and it just about did the job. These days with eBay and so on you should be able to pick up a giggable and reliable rig much cheaper.

Playing bass is all about being in a band, you will learn so much faster if you play with other people, register yourself on formingbands.co.uk, bandmix, etc. you will probably find you get a lot of interest, there aren't many bass players about.

Back when we were teenagers, me and my mates used to play through ghetto blasters to practice at home, and borrow practice room rigs when we had a loud drummer.
We also used to be "that band" when we showed up for gigs, and borrowed amps for the price of a pint or two to the owner. Eventually we got our own rigs, but we just wanted to get out and play. Don't over think it, just do it.

Something that astonished me when I moved up here to the East Midlands was the huge number of places where music just 'happens'.
I live in a smallish village and within a 10 mile radius I have access to two music shops, eight plug n play nights, three folk clubs and two annual music festivals.

Loads of places where musicians can hang out and meet up!

My advice would be to keep your musical options open and just get out there playing.

I started off depping for a cover band when I first moved up here and replaced the full time bass player a few months later.
As I started to meet and mingle with other musicians it didn't take long to find enough people to form a second band playing music that I liked.
So one band to pay the bills and a second band to pander to my less commercially viable tastes. :)

My advice would be to start going to some of the plug n play nights that are around your area and start making some contacts.

As far as equipment is concerned, your little Microcube just isn't going to hack it as a gigging or practice amp.
The good news is that most plug n play sessions have a PA that you can DI into (or mic up your Microcube) and some even provide a bass rig you'll be able to borrow! :)

[quote name='Rixy' post='1173690' date='Mar 23 2011, 07:09 PM']I believe that I am a decent bassist. I've been called "very good" by others, but I don't want to get cocky. While this is nice and all, I don't really have anyone to play with. I have friends, but they're not into music like I am. I'm really into the current UK Ska/Reggae/Punk scene: Sonic Boom Six, Mouthwash, JB Conspiracy, Jimmy the Squirrel, Stuck in 2nd etc. and it would be really fun to get into that kind of music. Problem is, I barely know any musicians that are into that kind of music. I have a friend I jam with sometimes, but he tends to go out of key all the time and frequently bends notes. I'd just be happy with a simple offbeat jam, but once again I'm kind of stuck in a rut as I don't know many people with similar tastes to mine.

I was going to put up an advertisement, but I'm wondering whether I'd be able to play with other people in the first place. The only amp I have is a Roland Microcube. I fear it wouldn't have the volume to hang in with other musicians. I'm completely skint, and while I can play proficiently I can't even afford a decent intermediate bass. I guess what I'm wondering is what did you guys have when you started out playing in bands? Many I'm over thinking and I should just get out there and play? I'd really like to play some form of reggae or ska. I wouldn't mind hanging in the back and laying down some low riddims. I don't really expect to be Les Claypool or Victor Wooten. Do you guys have any advice on my little dilemma?[/quote]

Only just seen this. I'm PMing you with details of some friends of mine in Derby who are looking for a bassist.
I used to play with them but wasn't able to commit at the time (but I'm not the bassist who's just left).
They're mostly rock, (covers + originals) but with quirks, so not exactly what (you think) you're looking for, but from what you've said I think you can cut it. They used to practise at The Music Shed, where they have plenty of back-line for hire. But, don't know if they still do. They've had gigs at the Bless and in Spondon.
If they don't give you a fair crack at it I'll personally go and give them all a slap, and I'll tell them that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, thought I'd bump this thread to let you know that I put up some ads and within a few days I got two good offers.

One offer is a Ska band wanting to experiment with reggae and gyspy music. This band is still trying to get guys together.

Another is a band wanting to work with funk, blues and rock. This band just needs a bassist for a complete line up.

I decided I might as well go with both of them and decide what I like best. I'm not really sure on what will go down when I get there. Another pain is that the Ska band is in another town, so that might be a trouble in the future. Do you guys have any tips on the first practice sessions?

Meanwhile, I'm wondering whether my lack of knowledge in blues music will be a problem. All I know is the blues scale, and whenever I play in that it ends up sounding like a funky swing jazz kind of thing :)

[quote name='Rixy' post='1186250' date='Apr 2 2011, 10:10 PM']Hey guys, thought I'd bump this thread to let you know that I put up some ads and within a few days I got two good offers.

One offer is a Ska band wanting to experiment with reggae and gyspy music. This band is still trying to get guys together.

Another is a band wanting to work with funk, blues and rock. This band just needs a bassist for a complete line up.

I decided I might as well go with both of them and decide what I like best. I'm not really sure on what will go down when I get there. Another pain is that the Ska band is in another town, so that might be a trouble in the future. Do you guys have any tips on the first practice sessions?

Meanwhile, I'm wondering whether my lack of knowledge in blues music will be a problem. All I know is the blues scale, and whenever I play in that it ends up sounding like a funky swing jazz kind of thing :)[/quote]
Great news. Maybe you could agree on some songs that you are going to work on in advance of getting together. If this is possible you can practise before you get together so you can play more naturally.

For blues just think sad funk :)