Why become a member? ×

Light Vs Heavy

waynepunkdude

I have an Ampeg SVT 5 and I love it although lately I have been looking for an SVT II but last night after practice I realised how f***ing heavy it is and the II will be heavier.

I am considering the lightweight amp, I have looked at a Bass Terror, looks good but I want something rackable.

Basically Ampeg too heavy but sounds good what should I get that's lighter but also sounds good?

40 lbs is very heavy! I thought the 3PRO was heavy at 26 lbs! Do you use bridged mode or 2 ohms? You won't get those on many lightweight amps.

You need a 900 watt amp to cover the 5PRO in 4 ohm mode. What about the GB Streamliner 900?

[quote name='chris_b' post='1173458' date='Mar 23 2011, 04:03 PM']40 lbs is very heavy! I thought the 3PRO was heavy at 26 lbs! Do you use bridged mode or 2 ohms? You won't get those on many lightweight amps.

You need a 900 watt amp to cover the 5PRO in 4 ohm mode. What about the GB Streamliner 900?[/quote]

I only ever bridged it once as an experiment.

I only ever use one side of the power amp at 4 OHMS TBH.

I've tried a few different rigs to get around humping the Ampeg around all the time as it is massively heavy.

I tried Ashdown MAGs and ABMs as they were rumoured to have a great sound like Ampeg but I thought they sounded weak in comparison. I tried Hartke too, that did sound pretty good though, I had the rackmount 500W head. It was nice but just lacked that something...

The only things I've tried that do match up are SWR and Mesa, but then they're just as heavy.

I've heard great things about the Hellborg amps, and the stack TM Stevens had at the Bass Show sounded immense. The price was equally immense though.

What I've ended up doing is getting an old Ampeg BA500 for the smaller gigs which is still heavy for a combo but absolutely kicks ass, and sounds a thousand times better than their new combos which are pretty dodgy from all reports I've heard and from mates who've bought them and spent ages getting them repaired constantly due to poor build quality. I've kept the SVT for big gigs but my back is pretty grateful for that little combo.

This might be unpopular but the traditional Ampeg EQ stage is awful or rather limited, IMV.
The only thing that saves it is the valve power amp so if you don't have that..?????

But..it you can get along with the Ampeg pre section then I'd say 26 lbs for an amp and power amp is ok.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1173620' date='Mar 23 2011, 06:16 PM']This might be unpopular but the traditional Ampeg EQ stage is awful or rather limited, IMV.
The only thing that saves it is the valve power amp so if you don't have that..?????

But..it you can get along with the Ampeg pre section then I'd say 26 lbs for an amp and power amp is ok.[/quote]

It's about 44lbs.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1173615' date='Mar 23 2011, 06:11 PM']The more I think about the more I'm thinking about a LM II with a Sansamp, how loud are they?[/quote]

Pretty bloody loud. I play with a proper full-on rock drummer, and with a decent cab (I used a MB 410 and now a Schroeder 1515L) it'll drown him without troubling the higher numbers on the Master dial. Which is really all that's needed... :)

In the interests of simplicity, I swapped my Sansamp and LMIII for a TC RH450, and it's even better for that old-school valvey Ampeg sound. And yes, I had an SVT and the 810 a while (OK, a long while) ago. Oh, and the TC's probably even louder than the LM. :) The Schroeder weighs just under 40lbs, and the TC about 9lbs.

Edited by Muzz

At least it hasn't got that useless graphic squeezed into a one unit space.

If you change you'll miss the valve IMV. LMll is more than useful at lower volumes, but loses its soul when louder, IME.
I am not sure if a Sansamp can compensate there...some may argue it does but I haven't tried it.

If only for practise, then maybe an old SWR 350 to lug around and bring what you know and love for special times and dates.

You should seriously consider a TC Electronics head (you can buy a rack mounting kit for these). They are less like the 'hi-fi' and more weighty sounding that other Class D designs I own/have owned. Certainly changed my view of what to expect in lightweight amps. As for cabs, I'm still not convinced by lightweight speakers/cabs. My solution was to get a pair of Bergantino HT/EX 112 cabs which are very portable but have the 'slam' that Neo's don't seem to deliver.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='1173658' date='Mar 23 2011, 06:46 PM']You should seriously consider a TC Electronics head (you can buy a rack mounting kit for these). They are less like the 'hi-fi' and more weighty sounding that other Class D designs I own/have owned. Certainly changed my view of what to expect in lightweight amps. As for cabs, I'm still not convinced by lightweight speakers/cabs. My solution was to get a pair of Bergantino HT/EX 112 cabs which are very portable but have the 'slam' that Neo's don't seem to deliver.[/quote]

Cabs aren't a problem, my Ampeg is lighter than the head :)

I've heard the TC heads have reliability problems, have you had any probs?

I think whatever of the decent lightweight heads you go for, you ain't gonna be disappointed with sound or how loud they go.

I use my MB combo (which is a LMII with a 2x10 cab attached to it) in a rock band with 2 loud guitards & a loud drummer, have a little OD on my sound & can easily be heard in all the mediumish venues I've done (village halls @3-400 folk) with plenty of bass to still make things shake.

[quote name='nash' post='1173682' date='Mar 23 2011, 07:04 PM']i've never had a problem with light weight or solidstate amps being loud enough. it's just that the tone seems to lack something i cant put my finger on.[/quote]
You need to get out there and try some new versions of class D amps, See Genz streamliners for a start if you likes your valves :)