Why become a member? ×

Light Vs Heavy

waynepunkdude

[quote name='nash' post='1176711' date='Mar 25 2011, 11:24 PM']i'm only aware of one which is the MarkBass Classic 300.

chrismuzz. what i want is punch and bark. i've never gotten that from a SS or hybrid head.[/quote]

My F1 has plenty of punch. I can dial in some bark if I'm quite fiddly with the VLE and VPF filters, but it's definately a very hi-fi sound. Couldn't really compare it with a nice valve amp, but added with a few pedals, it works well for the music I play, however it might be a different story for yoursef. I've heard good things about the LMIII, and the Little Mark Rocker heads, but I've not had a play with them myself so I wouldnt know :) To be honest if I were in your position I would just stick to what I knew as well

another spelling related edit :)

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='nash' post='1176721' date='Mar 25 2011, 11:35 PM']if i was looking for a light weight amp i'd try a Genz but i'm happy to use my Marshall (which i also use for my guitar).

when i'm 40 and in a wedding band i'll look into them[/quote]
I'm happy to let everyone use whatever they want, As for wedding bands I will hold the door open for you while you lug your Marshall in if your one our support bands next week while were headlining in Birmingham next week :) :)

You can't make a valve amp properly light because you're limited by the weight of the output transformer.

However, not everyone likes the sound of valve amps. For my playing I prefer really high power s/s amps, very clean preamps and very accurate cabs. My rack weighs about 40lbs but that's easily light enough - and the amount of power on tap is huge. Up to 3000 real watts if I bridge the amp.

But that's really the two extremes of the spectrum - the all valve amp and big sealed cab posse, vs the uber clean huge headroom s/s amp and big full-range ported cab crew. (I still go for big nasty tones but that's courtesy of a big nasty bass and some aggressive playing). For all those bass players in between you can go lightweight on the amp front without compromising your tone. For the cabs - well you can guess what I think... :)

[quote name='tauzero' post='1176698' date='Mar 25 2011, 11:08 PM']So do you think that a Superfly sounds better when the aluminium casing is on than when it's off?[/quote]

i've just seen this. i've owned two ABM's. i'm not into them. i wish i was because i believe in supporting British brands as much as i can.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1176741' date='Mar 25 2011, 11:52 PM']It's always a point missed in these threads that in the same way someone who likes an Ampeg won't automatically like all valve amps not all class D amp fans like all class D amps, I'm not fussed for MarkBass gear for example.[/quote]

Indeed give me a Marshall valve amp and I'll give you several pieces of a Marshall valve amp.

Edited by waynepunkdude

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1176718' date='Mar 25 2011, 11:31 PM']Sounds like someone needs to try a Genz streamliner? Not my brew but maybe more suitable for a valve only fan. I have nothing against the streamliner but the extra valves aren't really my thing if I don't use the one I've got although I can see it can do my sounds too so that's a bonus for others.[/quote]
Funny, I was just looking at these on Bass Direct's website. Looks very nice.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1176741' date='Mar 25 2011, 11:52 PM']It's always a point missed in these threads that in the same way someone who likes an Ampeg won't automatically like all valve amps not all class D amp fans like all class D amps, I'm not fussed for MarkBass gear for example.[/quote]

Perhaps more shocking, I'm not fussed about Genz Benz! :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1176502' date='Mar 25 2011, 08:27 PM']If your playing to 300+ people how much of front of house volume is from your amp compared to the PA? Really for a balanced sound in a venue that size most of what they hear should be from the PA IMO anyway. Many pro's dont have an amp at all now, DI pedal or box etc and away they go :)[/quote]

The funny thing about bass amps is that a 300w 1x15 2x10 or 2x12 (or even 1x12 if you're doing small, quiet gigs) is probably going to be enough volume to play small gigs, then enough monitoring until you're at a point where every gig's guaranteed to use good monitors or you're using in-ear monitors, then your requirements get smaller. If you're talking about "sensible" then 4x10s are useless, 8x10s are absolutely absurd.

My amp sounds fantastic though, it sounds even better when I use both cabs. Some of the venues I play warrant having that much power on stage. Do I need it? No. Do I find it's worth the effort carting it around? Yes.

Every so often on here, I mention Jay, the soundguy at The Old Bell and Redemption in Derby, he's done the sound for my band a lot, he knows all the songs and he actively works the sound while we play. I'd trust him as much as I'd trust myself, I never question anything that he says when it comes to sound. I went through a period where there were no GK 410RBHs at the UK dist, so I only had one. He said then it'd be better when I got the 2nd one for the stage sound (the PA there is more than capable of handling out front). He was right, the extra speakers make the bass sound stronger without specifically making it louder (IME at least), probably partially to do with the height, but also it adds power and presence to the tone. Of course now all he does is whine about how loud I am, but that's life. :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1176734' date='Mar 25 2011, 11:47 PM']I may well look at BF after I have the RH450.[/quote]

Ironically they'll be even better pushed by your SVT5 bridged - because they were designed to handle tons of power and go damned loud and move lots of air for their size. The lightweight thing was a 'why not?' rather than a 'must have'! I've never really cared much about the size/weight of my own rigs.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1176759' date='Mar 26 2011, 12:09 AM']Ironically they'll be even better pushed by your SVT5 bridged - because they were designed to handle tons of power and go damned loud and move lots of air for their size. The lightweight thing was a 'why not?' rather than a 'must have'! I've never really cared much about the size/weight of my own rigs.[/quote]

It'd be used for both amps so win.