Why become a member? ×

Ebay seller backing out of deal

Bloc Riff Nut

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1169847' date='Mar 20 2011, 07:26 PM']Typical tight fisted northerner. In a flat cap, with whippets.[/quote]

Eh, Wah hay, Steady on fella, Blatant racism from someone in the Jeremy Kyle catchment area.
we don't all have whippets i think thats a Lancashire thing.... :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1169847' date='Mar 20 2011, 07:26 PM']Typical tight fisted northerner. In a flat cap, with whippets.[/quote]
WTF? This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen anyone post on Basschat.

No-one around here can afford a flat cap. The last one I'm aware of was burned for fuel during the winter.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1170496' date='Mar 21 2011, 11:28 AM']WTF? This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen anyone post on Basschat.

No-one around here can afford a flat cap. The last one I'm aware of was burned for fuel during the winter.[/quote]

:) [b]!!!![/b]

[quote name='pete.young' post='1171336' date='Mar 21 2011, 09:15 PM']Have you ever tried setting fire to a whippet?[/quote]

Yes but dont tell the RSPCA... they frown on that kind of behaviour regardless of how cold it is and how far north you live...!! :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1169913' date='Mar 20 2011, 08:03 PM']Did you declare this before bidding and was there a uk bidders only in the listing? I had this a while ago after the buyer bid from portugal when it was clearly uk bids only, paid up quick via paypal expecting the postage to be the same! It's the same when you list as pickup only then you see the winner is miles away and await the " our daughter is at uni can we get it in a few months while we are passing?" or similar crap. See my eBay rant in off topic for more eBay fun :)[/quote]

My experiences had been the exact opposite of yours! Coincidently i'm from Portugal and it's a major pain to try and convince the sellers to exempt me from buyers requirements on ebay so i can bid their items. The ones who have done that ended with me winning the bid so they ended winning more from me that from the second in the bid! After the end of the auction i only had to wait for the seller to send me a paypal invoice with the P&P included as previously agreeded!

Always had good experiences with buying from abroad through internet! I realy don't understand why there is so much resistance in shipping overseas! If we're talking about amplification i can see that a 30kg package would get realy expensive to ship and it would be a nightmare to pack it safely and properly...

I've bought two basses (and a lot of bits and pieces too) from UK witch came in hardcases with a cardboard package and arrived safely without a scratch!

edit: you can see those two basses on your left!

Sorry for the off-topic and some spelling, just needed to get this out of my chest!

Cheers

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1170496' date='Mar 21 2011, 11:28 AM']WTF? This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen anyone post on Basschat.

No-one around here can afford a flat cap. The last one I'm aware of was burned for fuel during the winter.[/quote]

I can often be seen flouncing around York in my flatcap - but I suspect people think I'm either from the land-owning classes, or the local union leader :)

I'll drop Keith a line and see if we can't get some clogging or whippet racing to the Yorkshire Bass Bash agenda :)

MB1. :)
If youve won the auction and he hasnt placed a reserve on the item previous to the sale,youve won the item,the item is yours!.He can't change his mind if it doesnt go for what he expected?. If youve won the auction and hes still refusing to sell?... report him to Ebay.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1173199' date='Mar 23 2011, 12:48 PM']My experiences had been the exact opposite of yours! Coincidently i'm from Portugal and it's a major pain to try and convince the sellers to exempt me from buyers requirements on ebay so i can bid their items. The ones who have done that ended with me winning the bid so they ended winning more from me that from the second in the bid! After the end of the auction i only had to wait for the seller to send me a paypal invoice with the P&P included as previously agreeded!

Always had good experiences with buying from abroad through internet! I realy don't understand why there is so much resistance in shipping overseas! If we're talking about amplification i can see that a 30kg package would get realy expensive to ship and it would be a nightmare to pack it safely and properly...

I've bought two basses (and a lot of bits and pieces too) from UK witch came in hardcases with a cardboard package and arrived safely without a scratch!

edit: you can see those two basses on your left!

Sorry for the off-topic and some spelling, just needed to get this out of my chest!

Cheers[/quote]
Well the problem is and Im not for a minute suggesting you personnaly is that you get a perfectly worded message declaring that they are in Portugal (or wherever) asking if its ok to bid, You tell them thats fine and warn them that the P&P will obviously be more (which often involves 2 visits to the post office once just to find out the cost then send an updated invoice). Once its all sorted you then get the jibberish email about a friend who owes them money in the UK Blah Blah Blah, I have had it so many times I need to be certain they are genuine, Many have been and I have dealt with them fine but you can see where the frustration our end comes from surely?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1173694' date='Mar 23 2011, 08:13 PM']Well the problem is and Im not for a minute suggesting you personnaly is that you get a perfectly worded message declaring that they are in Portugal (or wherever) asking if its ok to bid, You tell them thats fine and warn them that the P&P will obviously be more (which often involves 2 visits to the post office once just to find out the cost then send an updated invoice). Once its all sorted you then get the jibberish email about a friend who owes them money in the UK Blah Blah Blah, I have had it so many times I need to be certain they are genuine, Many have been and I have dealt with them fine but you can see where the frustration our end comes from surely?[/quote]
The Ebay seller stated 'ships worldwide'

End of thread!!! ;-)

Hi - I'm sure that others will have said the same thing, he's breaking all the ebay rules! I have bought/sold over 1500 items on ebay and I can state categorically that the ebay team want to know about people like your man. A sale is a sale - he listed with a P&p price I assume - that has nothing to do with what it sold for and whether he was happy or not. Outrageous. He should have put a reserve on it! Anyway - I am new around here (http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=128723&st=0#entry1174825) but was cruising to see what things sell for (I have been accumulating for years and never getting rid of things) - now's the time AND I have just listed my prized V-Type all valve head with cabs in the for sale area on this site - I thought maybe that might be of interest? Cheers Jake

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1174180' date='Mar 24 2011, 07:31 AM']Sorry but I'm talking about cases where it's uk only bidders or even cash on collection only auctions so it's not thread over :)[/quote]

Yeah i see your point but surely there have been cases of UK bidders backing out on a buy or not? If prior to an auction the seller goes to a postal office and gets a european and a worldwide quote he will be increasing his chances of selling his item for a bigger price.

I buy lots of stuf from UK because the prices here are much higher (even in the s/h market). What many like me would consider a bargain on ebay would be seen has a bit pricey by UK bidders!

Cheers

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1174951' date='Mar 24 2011, 05:20 PM']Yeah i see your point but surely there have been cases of UK bidders backing out on a buy or not? If prior to an auction the seller goes to a postal office and gets a european and a worldwide quote he will be increasing his chances of selling his item for a bigger price.

I buy lots of stuf from UK because the prices here are much higher (even in the s/h market). What many like me would consider a bargain on ebay would be seen has a bit pricey by UK bidders!

Cheers[/quote]
I agree totally mate I have a non payer that lives 20 mile away! Idiots are idiots wherever they live. Like I said I trade with anyone but try and cover my arse as much as possible my none payer I have right now just shows how someone that's been trading years is just as easy to mess around :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1169813' date='Mar 20 2011, 07:01 PM']Pay via paypal now, then go collect your new amp!

don't pay any extra, he's entered a contract to sell it for that price, if he's not happy with it then unlucky, perhaps he should have set a reserve.
if he's an ebay noob then inform him of the rules. It's not his choice whether to sell or not, it's already sold.[/quote]

It's his item to sell or not to sell. If he doesn't want to, what are you going to do about it ?

Pay him by Paypal and he can just refund you.

As I say, it' is his amp, not Ebay's.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1175216' date='Mar 24 2011, 08:56 PM']It's his item to sell or not to sell. If he doesn't want to, what are you going to do about it ?

As I say, it' is his amp, not Ebay's.[/quote]
That's not how it works legally though, although the cost to follow it up and if he says it fell down the stairs on the way to the post office and can't be certain it works what can you do?

The seller had enough feedback to know what he was doing a reserve or buy it now price should of been set or he should of been a gent and sold it to the winner as set out in the legally binding terms of eBay. Now that could be end of thread? :)

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1175216' date='Mar 24 2011, 08:56 PM']It's his item to sell or not to sell. If he doesn't want to, what are you going to do about it ?

Completely wrong i'm afraid, both legally and morally.

He's listed it as an auction and the OP has won it with the highest bid. The seller has entered a contract by listing it under set conditions and letting the auction run it's course. The seller has offered it for sale and it has sold, no questions.

Sometimes you have to do the decent thing and take the hit, instead the seller has extorted money from the OP in a "pay me extra or don't get the amp" kind of way. Although it was settled amicably it's still out of order in my book, still it's not my money and the OP is happy.
I'd have told the seller to f**k off personally, reported them to eBay and given them stinking feedback. Just like i have done with every other dishonest eBay seller i've encountered.

I'm fully aware the seller is also a member on here, but this is a poor show. He owes the OP the difference between the two sale prices, end of.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1175415' date='Mar 24 2011, 11:41 PM']Completely wrong i'm afraid, both legally and morally.

He's listed it as an auction and the OP has won it with the highest bid. The seller has entered a contract by listing it under set conditions and letting the auction run it's course. The seller has offered it for sale and it has sold, no questions.

Sometimes you have to do the decent thing and take the hit, instead the seller has extorted money from the OP in a "pay me extra or don't get the amp" kind of way. Although it was settled amicably it's still out of order in my book, still it's not my money and the OP is happy.
I'd have told the seller to f**k off personally, reported them to eBay and given them stinking feedback. Just like i have done with every other dishonest eBay seller i've encountered.

I'm fully aware the seller is also a member on here, but this is a poor show. He owes the OP the difference between the two sale prices, end of.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1174988' date='Mar 24 2011, 05:51 PM']I agree totally mate I have a non payer that lives 20 mile away! Idiots are idiots wherever they live. Like I said I trade with anyone but try and cover my arse as much as possible my none payer I have right now just shows how someone that's been trading years is just as easy to mess around :lol:[/quote]

I had a non payer "lookalike" once, from Bristol, I'm in Edinburgh. It was just £15 but I want my £15 :)
I say "lookalike" because he was just delaying...

I said that I was going to be in his area in two weeks for a few days, so I'd be happy to collect in person and avoid the paypal fee.
It was not true, I wasnt going to go, but he knew I had his address and I figured he didn't want the hassle... I got the payment the day after. :)

When using eBay, you're entering a contract. Read the small print.
Nobody forces you to use eBay, if you do, you follow the rules.
If you don't want to sell for less than X, there are ways to set a reserve price etc, and of course you pay a little extra to have that peace of mind.

You can't accept the service and then choose what rules to pay attention to. If you're too cheap to pay the reserve or starting bid price fee, you run the risk it'll go for less that you'd want.
Bottomline is you have options and you choose them, and then enter a contract.