Why become a member? ×

Is my bass causing me problems?

Evil Undead

I'm currently playing a Warwick Corvette $$ - 2008 model with the baseball bat neck.

When I first bought the bass I thought it was my dream bass and perfect for me in every way but lately I've been wondering if the neck profile is just way too thick for my hand, as after a short amount of time my left hand starts to ache. I'm a girl, so my hands are smaller than the average bassist.

I've recently been also playing my Kramer which has a much thinner neck profile, and I can't decide whether it's more comfortable or not... even after spending hours playing them both and switching between the two.

I can't see any noticeable issues with my technique, so is it possible that the neck of the Warwick is simply too large for me? It would tear me up to sell this bass but don't want to be causing myself problems further down the line.

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1168726' date='Mar 19 2011, 08:04 PM']I'm currently playing a Warwick Corvette $$ - 2008 model with the baseball bat neck.

When I first bought the bass I thought it was my dream bass and perfect for me in every way but lately I've been wondering if the neck profile is just way too thick for my hand, as after a short amount of time my left hand starts to ache. I'm a girl, so my hands are smaller than the average bassist.

I've recently been also playing my Kramer which has a much thinner neck profile, and I can't decide whether it's more comfortable or not... even after spending hours playing them both and switching between the two.

I can't see any noticeable issues with my technique, so is it possible that the neck of the Warwick is simply too large for me? It would tear me up to sell this bass but don't want to be causing myself problems further down the line.[/quote]

Hi there,

I had a Corvette years ago, and I had the same problem, the lower notes were too far away, more than any other instrument I had. Dunno if the neck is the same on this one, but if the bass is built the same way, I suppose that´s gonna be the trouble. If you lower the strap a bit that should relief you a bit, but in my case I just had to sell it...

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1168726' date='Mar 19 2011, 08:04 PM']I'm currently playing a Warwick Corvette $$ - 2008 model with the baseball bat neck.

I can't see any noticeable issues with my technique, so is it possible that the neck of the Warwick is simply too large for me? It would tear me up to sell this bass but don't want to be causing myself problems further down the line.[/quote]

Where's the pain? One of the most common technique issues is gripping too hard, which causes pain to the flexor pollicis brevis (muscle at the fleshy part of the palm attached to the thumb). If it's that, make sure your bass is at the right height, and practice scales without touching your thumb to the back of the neck. It'll feel weird for a while, but is worth it.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='1168750' date='Mar 19 2011, 08:16 PM']Where's the pain? One of the most common technique issues is gripping too hard, which causes pain to the flexor pollicis brevis (muscle at the fleshy part of the palm attached to the thumb). If it's that, make sure your bass is at the right height, and practice scales without touching your thumb to the back of the neck. It'll feel weird for a while, but is worth it.[/quote]

It is in that area, yeah. Maybe it's that then... also seems to be kinda in between my knuckles on the palm side - if that makes sense?

I used to play an Ibanez Musician bass which caused me the same problem. It turned out that because the bridge started a few inches up from the bottom of the body, it made the neck much longer than what I was used to! It was a real disappointment because it was a fantastic bass. Maybe you're having the same problem? Then again it could, as you say, be due to the chunkier neck, i never could get on with Warwicks either. Whatever it is I hope you get to the bottom of it and find a solution

[quote name='dlloyd' post='1168750' date='Mar 19 2011, 08:16 PM']Where's the pain? One of the most common technique issues is gripping too hard, which causes pain to the flexor pollicis brevis (muscle at the fleshy part of the palm attached to the thumb). If it's that, make sure your bass is at the right height, and practice scales without touching your thumb to the back of the neck. It'll feel weird for a while, but is worth it.[/quote]

+ 1

You should also get someone else to check your technique. You might not think that there's anything wrong with it, but someone else might notice something you haven't :)

I never thought of this actually! I did have this happen with another bass of mine, and it turned out to be a combination of my technique, and the fact that the action was too high and fretting caused undue strain.

Almost certainly down to your hand position.
Don't grip the neck or have your thumb over the top.
Unless you have tiny hands, the only part of your hand to touch the neck should be the ball of your thumb (positioned about half way down the back of the neck), and the tips of your fingers.
Try playing with your bass higher. See if that helps.

I'm 5'7" and I've got small hands,and I also used to own a $$.
I never had any problems with my fretting hand with that bass,and I actually like the profile on a Warwick.
Try altering the strap height and perhaps your fretting technique as the others have said.
My left shoulder used to ache with the $$ though;it's a heavy bugger!

It's a common problem.... people tend to notice it when they suddenly start playing for longer periods than they're accustomed to... it's lactate build-up. It's happening because you're tensing a muscle constantly for a period of several minutes... one that you really don't need to be tensing. The majority of the work should be done from the shoulder and arm.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1168807' date='Mar 19 2011, 08:49 PM']So, is it possible to play with a really light touch? I mean barely touching the strings?[/quote]
Yes - well almost :) & you'll find the lighter you play (with both hands), the lower the action you can have - which makes it even easier to play lighter :)

Edit: Do you do your own setup?

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1168819' date='Mar 19 2011, 08:55 PM']Yes - well almost :) & you'll find the lighter you play (with both hands), the lower the action you can have - which makes it even easier to play lighter :)

Edit: Do you do your own setup?[/quote]

I do. The Warwick has pretty low action (I think, anyway :lol:). It's the lowest of all my basses I believe. Not sure if I could get it any lower without creating some buzz...

The found the Corvette $$ 5 string to be one of the fastest playing basses I've ever owned but I've been playing for 24 years and have had about 70 so I find it pretty easy to adjust to a new bass.

I used to get the cramping pain when playing a lot of octave bass lines and you have to concentrate on not tensing up. the same when playing something that requires you to play fast with the right hand. Before I discovered he used a plectrum, I learned Parallel Universe by the Chilis using my fingers. That was really difficult to get right without my right hand turning into a claw with cramp

If you can consciously learn to relax and build up your stamina, you should be able to play for longer periods without pain.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1168726' date='Mar 19 2011, 08:04 PM']I've recently been also playing my Kramer which has a much thinner neck profile, and I can't decide whether it's more comfortable or not... even after spending hours playing them both and switching between the two.

I can't see any noticeable issues with my technique, so is it possible that the neck of the Warwick is simply too large for me?[/quote]

I think those two statements contain the answer.

If the Kramer with the thinner neck profile isn't noticeably more comfortable than your $$ then the problem probably doesn't live within the realms of neck profiles.

As has already been mentioned, strap length and/or LH technique are the most likely culprits.
For me, I adjust the strap so that my left forearm is around 45° to my upper arm when I'm around the 5th fret - more than that then you'll be straining your hand.
That may not be right for everyone (arm length will make a diffrence), but it's what works for me regardless of which bass I'm playing - could be a skinny little JB or a plank like 6 string :).
Try finding the ideal position for your arm before you put your bass on - if you can find a comfortable position before you put it on then it's a lot easier to find that position again by adjusting the strap.

Technique wise, I keep everything relaxed, I never hook my thumb over the top of the neck and and avoid strangling the neck with too much pressure (it'll tire your arm out and slow you down).
I work up and across the neck to keep movement and stretches down to a sensible level wherever possible.

It sounds like a technique issue to me. Do you put your thumb over the neck? Do you grip the neck tightly? Is your wrist at a sharp angle?
All of these things will hinder your facility on the instrument. Try to find a reputable teacher who will be able to look at your technique and maybe even break it down and rebuild it if necessary. I've never found a neck profile to be a major hinderence-at least nothing that a couple of minutes playing couldn't sort out.

I've had a couple of Warwicks, a Corvette and a Thumb. In each case I'd agree that front to back the neck is thicker than a standard Fender profile but the thickness at the nut is sort of Jazzish. In the end both of mine went because of discomfort and hand cramps, yes the apparent neck length was a problem but also because they were neck heavy I was constantly having to keep a grip on it. I think this was the main problem.

Although the standard measurement for action is at 12th fret, it is actually pretty easy/unstrenuous to fret in the middle of the string. If you are playing down at the first few frets then the strings height in the nut is more of a factor.
Guessing you have a "just a nut" so can lower it easily enough at the nut or have you already got it as low as possible?
My personal preference is to have the strings very low at the nut so they are just short of buzzing on the first fret which makes fretting on frets 1,2,3 and 4 very easy.