Why become a member? ×

Selling basses on BC???

bubinga5

Without wanting to sound confrontational, there seems to be a few BCers that only buy and sell basses on BC, with no involvement in any other aspect of the site.. where is the line drawn between a casual seller and and trader of instruments? i was under the impression that commercial sales were not allowed on BC.. if so what does this involve, and what are the limitations on such transactions?

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Platypus' post='1167642' date='Mar 18 2011, 09:00 PM']There's definitely some commercial seller on Basschat, though no rules against it, as far as i know[/quote]

I don't think there are any rules either, but the Affiliates section is usually the place for any commercial sellers...

Cheers,

B.

This comes under the same moral stance as buying a bass cheap then selling it on for more in my books. People shouldn't profit from selling on this site, it's not good for the community spirit....BUT

Each sale should be looked at on it's own merit, not what the bass has been sold for previously or what the seller's making on it. Some SR5s have sold recently for £600, I wouldn't think it was unfair if a SR5 sold for £800. Who am I to condemn someone because they've sold a bass at a fair price just because they've bought it cheaper? It's not fair on someone that bought a bass for their own purposes then decided they didn't get on with it if they should be forced to sell it under value, and unless you can 100% say what purposes they bought it for, you can't judge them.

I agree that everyone on the site should be involved in the chatting though, trading basses on here can be stressful, it only takes one bass to sell cheaply because someone needs money in a hurry and that bass's resale value plummets and doesn't recover quickly, especially in the more popular models where there's more than meets demand. Anyone that just sees that aspect of the site probably doesn't have the best impression.

It's a fair point. IMO the FS section should really be a benefit for those who contribute to the forum. I guess tho that if only the regular contributors could buy and sell here there would be a limited (although undoubtedly high quality and safe) selection of bits and bobs to buy. The theoretical beauty of this site is that there's a certain amount of trust amongst members and this extends into buying and selling. However like all other private trade media you really need to look out for yourself and be careful. I guess commercial sellers shouldn't be allowed but it must be a hard one to regulate as the site quite rightly welcomes each and all who are prepared to abide by the rules.

As someone who has both bought and sold here I must say I've only ever dealt with nice folk and that's encouraging. I also now recognise a lot of contributors and would have more confidence dealing with them over names I don't recognise and that tips the balance back in favour of people who contribute to the site in general.

This has been done to death, Though I know you had no bad intentions Bubinga5!

All we say is that we dont allow commercial businesses to trade in the for sale section. If newbies want to join up just to sell then that just means more deals for the rest of us and that, ladies and gentlemen, Is pretty much that!

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1167665' date='Mar 18 2011, 09:23 PM']As someone who has both bought and sold here I must say I've only ever dealt with nice folk and that's encouraging. I also now recognise a lot of contributors and would have more confidence dealing with them over names I don't recognise and that tips the balance back in favour of people who contribute to the site in general.[/quote]

+ 1

Always found this forum really friendly and buying and selling has always been quick, easy and hassle-free.

However, to the OP, I suppose this is a forum designed to offer bassists the chance to take advantage of the opportunity to talk about our instrument, get advice and buy/sell instruments. If you're really concerned about people doing this kind of thing as you don't agree with it on principle, it's up to you as the individual to check out any buyer/seller and decide how you proceed with any transaction on a case-to-case basis.

It is worth noting that people aren't great sellers by default just because they sell on here. I've had a hell of a time with one particular member, the moderators have done all they can but there's only so much they can do when they have no legal power over members. It's still not been resolved and I don't expect it to be, so people do have bad trades on here.

But I've had many good ones, I'd rather trade through here than ebay or other sites. It is (and will always be) a case of buyer beware.

Well I'd like to put in my ten pennyworth here.

I've been in this "group" for a while now & I think it's great.

I've traded a (double) bass with another member for an EUB & bought a couple of minor bits- one where there was a problem was resolved straight away.

I've now got involved with the recycle bit of the site where I've sent a couple of books & a CD out for free -I think by and large it IS abit of a community here.

Equally I've recently bought a good quality bass for a price that I consider fair. Now I've got it (it's an active Warwick Ash body Geman Corvette Standard) I'm not particularly keen on it - so it will be going up for sale soon, but, as I got it at a fair price, then (hopefully) I will get my money back.

It means I will have had an instrumnt for two or three months at relatively little cost & it's expanded my knowledge and experience. Not something you could do elsewhere.

So there you go - that's my experience so far- but, there again, I've been out, had a few beers & come back and now had a few glasses of the old [i][b]vin rouge[/b][/i] so it 's all looking pretty good to me.

Just keep me away from the for sale section now.

Off to the Haslingden Guitar show on Sunday by the way - anyone else there????

Regards,

Stompbox
:)

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1167665' date='Mar 18 2011, 09:23 PM']As someone who has both bought and sold here I must say I've only ever dealt with nice folk and that's encouraging. I also now recognise a lot of contributors and would have more confidence dealing with them over names I don't recognise and that tips the balance back in favour of people who contribute to the site in general.[/quote]

I agree with skej21 - this post by mrtcat really sums it up.

I'm perfectly comfortable with out & out traders coming onto Basschat if they want to, but I am FAR more likely to buy a bass from Clarky, Beedster or Bassassin than I will ever be from a stranger.

If that stranger wants to become part of Basschat, and a regular poster in other areas, then he/she will probably make far more sales, and also make a real contribution to the site.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1167797' date='Mar 18 2011, 11:46 PM']... I am FAR more likely to buy a bass from Clarky, Beedster or Bassassin than I will ever be from a stranger ...[/quote]
But Jack, that doesn't actually involve a great reduction in the number of opportunites to buy a bass or some related equipment. :)

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1167807' date='Mar 18 2011, 11:51 PM']But Jack, that doesn't actually involve a great reduction in the number of opportunites to buy a bass or some related equipment. :)[/quote]

Nope, but it does speed up the circulation of kit ...

:)

I appreciate the mods view. It isn't a problem so don't change anything. If someone just wants to sell to a good home and can't find anything to say on a forum (or doesn't want to), so what? Of course we'd like him/her to, but we can't force anyone. And if they want to buy or sell something, that's great, might be the bargain we've been looking for.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1167684' date='Mar 18 2011, 09:43 PM']It is worth noting that people aren't great sellers by default just because they sell on here. I've had a hell of a time with one particular member, the moderators have done all they can but there's only so much they can do when they have no legal power over members. It's still not been resolved and I don't expect it to be, so people do have bad trades on here.

But I've had many good ones, I'd rather trade through here than ebay or other sites. It is (and will always be) a case of buyer beware.[/quote]
ive sold to 2 buyers here,bought from 3.all in all id trust this place as oppossed to the bay etc...

[quote name='dougie' post='1167916' date='Mar 19 2011, 05:04 AM']ive sold to 2 buyers here,bought from 3.all in all id trust this place as oppossed to the bay etc...[/quote]

+1! I still buy brand new music equipment from eBay from time to time, if it's from a 'shop', but I've bought 3 pieces of equipment, used, from eBay, and all have had some fault with them. Everything I've bought from fellow BCers has been like new, and more reasonably priced too! I wouldn't sell any more gear on eBay either. Partly because there are more trustworthy folk here, the fees are verging on ridiculous, and also because I know if I sell it here it's going to a good home :)

Initially found this site by accident as I was taking up bass again. Sold a Squier I'd had as a seed fund towards another bass. Bought 2 basses and an amp since from here. Sold both basses at a small loss after improving them to make sure I shifted them on. Look upon it as a 2 month rental or trial period that I would not get at a shop. Still got the amp and have got rid of my craving for a named bass (for now) to gleefully bash my Yamaha BB! I was very cagey over my first sale as I struggled with the trust concept after ebay experiences. Couldn't believe it when the buyer sent cash in a recorded delivery bag!

Good site I visit at least 5 times a week if I can to drool over the basses of others. Met 7string too - great guy. Had really good advice from one of those you might suspect of being active commercially but I have never felt as stupid as to buy anything above the odds!

Wish I was a commercial trader of basses!

I guess if there are commercial sellers on here that don't have a personal involvement with the forum, we should be happy as long as they post sales with honest details and at prices which the private buyers on here are happy with, a small donation from these guys on point of sale would also be nice

I suppose their are enough private sales going on for all members here to gauge the right price, along with the ability to ask on the forum

The creators and moderators of this site have created something really good, and i'm sure this would be tackled if it got out of hand