Why become a member? ×

FIGHT! Stingray H versus HS versus HH

Beedster

What is says above really. I'm interested in everything from tone (e.g.,does having 2 PUPs really represent a useful improvement over the single PUP; does the HS differ substantially from the HH?), through to playability (e.g., does the HH combination really make it difficult to slap etc?)

Many thanks

Chris

Edited by Beedster

I've owned a single H and an HH (granted the single H was a SUB, but it's essentially the same beast). The HH did provide a lot more tonal combos than the SUB did, the neck pickup sounded more precisiony than you could get from the SUB, but a little bit on the deep side, i'd say HS for the best of both worlds, just so that the neck pickup isn't too overpowering.

The HH or HS only gets in the way of slapping if you have poor technique.

[quote name='budget bassist' date='Mar 7 2011, 11:24 PM' post='1153190'
The HH or HS only gets in the way of slapping if you have poor technique.
[/quote]

Or prefer playing with a pick. But I definitely have bad slap technique, and thats why I voted and own a HH.

Edited by AsterL

I think if you are ordering new, or have the choice, no point in not undertaking the multi pup.

I was cautious, but now I'm very happy.

My single h 2eq is brilliant! Simple and classic.

The Ray 5 HS is great, and allows you to have 2 typed of single coils, and can get into mm/fender combination territory.

The HH Ray 4 which I am awaiting, is just a different flavour. From the demos, I quite like the neck H, chewy and fat sounding. Position 2 is really aggressive like a jazz meets a ray.

Dont worry about room to play!

ALL give you exactly the same traditional bridge H tone.

I'm not a fan of the HS models, as I found them to have volume differences between the pickup selections...well on the two I've played anyway!

the HH is a beast, I love it. Both pickups on just sounds insanely good, and the neck pickup on its own is...just awesome.

But of course, both the HH and HS have that bridge humbucker. Which will always be there...

I voted HH. However I do prefer how the single H looks!

HH, predictably :) The option to use the mid coils together (position 4 on the selector) is whats won it for me - killer sound - tho 25 years using mostly p basses may have coloured my judgement! Don't really bother with the other settings too much. The neck pup doesn't sound that good on its own IMO - but plenty to choose from with the other settings.

Can't vote...but I liked the variety of the Ed F video when demoing the Big Al configs..which I think is still relevant here...??

Saying that..I took my active pup out of the MM I had and replaced it with something more subtle..
Also, agree that a Humbucker of the MM type in the neck position is way OTT..IMV.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1153993' date='Mar 8 2011, 04:09 PM']Great stuff guys, it's pretty much a 2-way race between H and HH at present but HS ain't out of the picture.
e[/quote]

:) you pretty much summed up the question, there is no right or wrong answer as all three are just as good as each other just different in there own way, it all comes down to the sound your trying to achieve at the end.

For me its single H on a Stingray all the way ! its a sound / tone that you can hear in a mix a mile away anything else usually is something else, adding more pickups to a perfect recipe is like watering it down, trying to turn it into something it isn't so if you feel the need for additional pick up options / configurations etc you might be better off going in another direction, (Bongo HH is killer sounding but thats another story)

[quote name='danny-79' post='1154280' date='Mar 8 2011, 07:02 PM']:) you pretty much summed up the question, there is no right or wrong answer as all three are just as good as each other just different in there own way, it all comes down to the sound your trying to achieve at the end.

For me its single H on a Stingray all the way ! its a sound / tone that you can hear in a mix a mile away anything else usually is something else, adding more pickups to a perfect recipe is like watering it down, trying to turn it into something it isn't so if you feel the need for additional pick up options / configurations etc you might be better off going in another direction, (Bongo HH is killer sounding but thats another story)[/quote]

Thanks, fair points. A couple of questions.

Does it not simply add to the options rather than water it down?

How does the Bongo HH differ from the 'ray HH?

C

The Bongo has different pickup placement, the bridge humbucker is closer to the bridge. Also the pickups and preamps are so different, the Bongo really sounds nothing like a Stingray. The single H Bongo has the same pickup placement as the stingrays.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1154285' date='Mar 8 2011, 07:05 PM']Thanks, fair points. A couple of questions.

Does it not simply add to the options rather than water it down?

How does the Bongo HH differ from the 'ray HH?

C[/quote]

The distinctive sound of a Stingray is unique, so to me adding more pick up options is ??? kind of milking something that was unique in the first place so if its a different sound your looking for..... now we onto the Bongo

I had a loner a while back an was blown away by it, double HH, the EQ is amazing, set everything flat to start an just see what you can do with the pickup blend alone, it sounds nothing like a Stingray, even in bridge humbucker only mode so the additional humbucker in the neck with the blend option works great for unlimited possibility's thats before you start on the EQ (high/low mids, treble BASS!!!)
The model i had was a five, being mainly a four string player i was very impressed with the low B of how usable it was, 99% of other fiver's Ive used have been rattly an sloppy an off putting but this was great ! lovely feel to the neck very playable an versatile.

[u]On the downside.....[/u] it was VERY neck heavy, possibly a combination of the five heavy machine heads that are great when fitted to a bass thats made of [u]real wood [/u] (i.e a Stingray) but on something thats made of a light weigh, sustainable material, it doesn't work to well (add some light weight tuners an your set).
So with that said, with the Bongo your paying for the electronic package so if you intend on gigging it hard, don't expect it to be a life long keeper, it will wear out.

Edited by danny-79

Yes the HH HS has exactly the same H bridge pup...exact sound. Each bass varies slightly so wood etc affects it more :)

I say it just adds more to it!

YouTube HH Stingray and one chap plays anything from Metallica (position 2) all the way to the classic position 1 H and position 5 neck H (Amy Winehouse track).

The H or S at the neck is warm, chunky, woody, yet not muddy which was important to me.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='danny-79' post='1154364' date='Mar 8 2011, 07:45 PM'][u]On the downside.....[/u] it was VERY neck heavy, possibly a combination of the five heavy machine heads that are great when fitted to a bass thats made of [u]real wood [/u] (i.e a Stingray) but on something thats made of a light weigh, sustainable material, it doesn't work to well (add some light weight tuners an your set).
So with that said, with the Bongo your paying for the electronic package so if you intend on gigging it hard, don't expect it to be a life long keeper, it will wear out.[/quote]
I found my 5 string Bongos to be insanely neck heavy...the headstock is HUGE. The Bongo 4 has a tiny headstock though.

I'm not sure what you what you mean about 'real wood' though. Bongos are made of basswood (okay, it's a cheaper wood) but it's not as if they'll just fall apart.

Apparently it was chosen purely for the tone, complimenting the electronics very well.