Why become a member? ×

The originals band playing pubs experiment

Low End Bee

There are a fair few pubs in my locality that have covers and tribute bands on.
With the exception of a local festival tie in where we were asked to play one last year we've stuck to the specific music venues where the other original bands play. In house PA, pay at the door, 2 or 3 bands on type of venues.
Now we did a rare local show recently to a fair few people who paid good money to see us and a few of them asked us when they could see us locally again. I couldn't give them an answer as it takes so much effort to rope people in when there is a charge on the door and you have to leave a big old gap to avoid audience pester fatigue.
Anyway the long and the short of it is we're going to attempt to play the local pubs that don't have originals on and try and build up a following.
We've got a booking for the 18th March. The landlord was sold when he found 80 odd people paid a tenner each to see us 5 minutes walk from him. Other venues are proving tougher to crack. Including the one who had a very heavy rock covers band on playing to only 15 people when I proposed it. Fear of the unknown I guess.
We did discuss slipping a couple of covers in the set but have decided against it. We agreed it would be the start of a slippery slope and hold up the new material we should be writing.
Anyway two 45 minute sets with a couple of the songs played first repeated later on and we'll see how it goes.
We're giving the pubs an introductory rate for the first gigs they put on and then we'll see.
Luckily we've got PA, lights and a varied set of 3 minute rock songs that most people will like at least a few of.

Wish us luck.

Good luck. I grew up (musically) in a part of the world where it was mostly originals bands most of the time (S. Wales 1980-85). Most venues would put on originals bands, in some cases several times a week and there were fewer covers bands. But I think the market has changed as all of this is pre-XBox, SKY TV, computers etc so it wa a different environment entirely.

Halcyon days.

I think this is a very good idea and appluad both the band and the landlord/venue for taking the plunge.

Of course, we know it is only a numbers game anyway... but as a new band the figure we hear from Landlords is bring in 20 people
and he will be happy. I am assuming that is to add to their local regular turn-out. This is easier said that done in a new area but if you can get 50 in the door, then you'll be setting a high mark for everyone else.
But then that is the nature of the game..

I think where gigs fall down is when people/bands don't realise bands are there to increase turn-over..almost entirely.
They think it is some local service...:)

I hope it goes well and you smash it.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1152343' date='Mar 7 2011, 11:25 AM']I think where gigs fall down is when people/bands don't realise bands are there to increase turn-over..almost entirely.
They think it is some local service...:)[/quote]

Exactly. We understand we're only really there to help them shift booze. I haven't tried to sell us to landlords as anything other than a band who will get people in the door, be professional, punctual and create a good atmosphere.
I have desisted from telling them about our musical influences and creative processes.

The one pub we are perfect for locally is being a tough nut to crack. As I said a heavy rock covers band were playing to 15-20 when I spoke to him. I said we could expect a much greater turn out and were willing to do the first gig at a discount to tempt him.
"I dunno. I only know the covers bands. I think you'd be too risky"

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1152403' date='Mar 7 2011, 12:48 PM']Exactly. We understand we're only really there to help them shift booze. I haven't tried to sell us to landlords as anything other than a band who will get people in the door, be professional, punctual and create a good atmosphere.
I have desisted from telling them about our musical influences and creative processes.

The one pub we are perfect for locally is being a tough nut to crack. As I said a heavy rock covers band were playing to 15-20 when I spoke to him. I said we could expect a much greater turn out and were willing to do the first gig at a discount to tempt him.
"I dunno. I only know the covers bands. I think you'd be too risky"[/quote]

Well, how about offering to do the first gig for free?

I think this sounds like an excellent venture - I would personally be much happier to see an originals band at a pub than a covers band...

J

Trouble is you're dealing with publicans not promoters so you're always going to be talking to someone who has other priorities.

As far as originals v covers, I don’t mind who plays what as long as the band is being positive and trying to make something happen.

Good luck.

[quote name='jmstone' post='1152427' date='Mar 7 2011, 01:04 PM']Well, how about offering to do the first gig for free?[/quote]

By chance I know exactly how much the band that were on were getting paid. I made him an attractive offer for our first gig in comparison to what he was paying that night. It was tempting to offer a freebie but I don't want to devalue us or other bands who deserve a few quid for hard work by playing for free. Plus our local landlords do talk to each other.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1152403' date='Mar 7 2011, 12:48 PM']Exactly. We understand we're only really there to help them shift booze. I haven't tried to sell us to landlords as anything other than a band who will get people in the door, be professional, punctual and create a good atmosphere.

"I dunno. I only know the covers bands. I think you'd be too risky"[/quote]

Understand all this..and sympathise.

I can tell new landlords that I'd back our band against anyone..bla bla..but he has heard it all before, and besides he can always
leave the night to his bar staff and go upstairs and watch TV or something, he just wants a decent take that night. He doesn't have to sit through some bands.

If negotiations are getting sticky and the guy will not budge, I tell them we will do the gig for say £150, ( never free as that is too desperate, IMO ) he would have to pay that for any
band minimum and then tell him that he can give you a bonus if you do well. If you have that sort of trust then you are backing yourself, doing him a favour on the price and filling his pub.

Of course, you have to make good on the rhetoric and you really have to give him a good night..but if you think you can, then I really hope it works for you.

But if he wont, then you can lead a horse to water etc etc ...tell him you are doing the same thing at such and such a place and he had his chance etc etc :) :)

Have you suggested to the landlord (the tough one) that he comes down and checks out your gig at the other place? At least that way he can get a feel for the music/atmosphere/turnout, without having to go to the risk of putting you on himself. It's a slightly slower solution, but might help.

[quote name='Zach' post='1152529' date='Mar 7 2011, 02:36 PM']Have you suggested to the landlord (the tough one) that he comes down and checks out your gig at the other place? At least that way he can get a feel for the music/atmosphere/turnout, without having to go to the risk of putting you on himself. It's a slightly slower solution, but might help.[/quote]

It's a busy Friday night. I'll just take him a photo of the pub packed out (hopefully!). We'll choreograph everybody to stand in shot :)

We do a lot of pub gigs as an originals band and get paid. It's like chris_b said, if you come across as fun but professional I don't think it matters. Obviously we're not the band to see if you want to hear all the greats but if people like a well rehearsed pro band who put on a good show, we can absolutely deliver on that.

Have fun & good luck

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1152502' date='Mar 7 2011, 02:13 PM']It depends. Some places it's just a flat fee. I think the most we ever got was £100 in a flat fee to be fair. If it's based on tickets...[/quote]

My last serious original band used to play a bunch of pubs around the Stoke area,never for tickets,and always got a couple of hundred quid for them.We had got enough material for over an hour and a half,and we always had a good crowd at gigs.It helped that we were,individually,quite well known and respected around the area,but even then,if the band would've sucked we wouldn't have got the gigs. Plus,we put are arses on the line and toured America which helped.

Just to expand why I'm keen to try this.
The pubs I'm looking at do not put on original bands. Then again I doubt they ever get asked either. Our particular show is very much a sweaty, intimate, energetic rock show with some good unchallenging 3 minute songs and lots of audience interaction. Perfectly suited to a boozy Friday night pub crowd who are used to seeing rock covers bands. But don't like the idea of having to get on a bus to see us and having to also pay at the door.
The idea of these pub gigs just seems right. The age of the band is 37-50 and this is the typical of the age range I see in these pubs.
It's not that we don't get paid at the originals venues. We do and it's better than a most seem to get paid. They also take up a lot of time arranging and there is rarely much walk up.
A middle aged pub rock phenomenon would be hilarious too.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we did it. Happy Jack and his drummer Paul were there so I have proof.

Played the 6 Bells in Brentford which is a smallish Fullers pub that has just been refurbished rather nicely with no hint of 'theme'.
We played two 45 minute sets of 100% original ( plagiarism aside) material. Just before we went on at about 9.30 about a dozen people walked out which concerned the bar staff a little. However a steady stream turned up while we were playing and it was packed for the second set. We played really well. Without a stage that we are used to we didn't get to gad about like usual. This meant we concentrated a bit more on the playing side and I actually enjoyed that a lot. Really nice to have no barrier between us and the audience. We bought a few of our regulars but also had a lot of walk up. Some people on their way to other pubs had a window lick and then came in and stayed which was great. We sold over 30 of the new CD EP's and had a little queue of people who wanted it signed at the end.
A landlord who has just taken over another pub within walking distance came and asked for our contact details so he could book us and two punters who go to a lot of live music in the area asked for our contact details so they could get their locals to book us.

I'm really chuffed. A huge success all in all.

PS
Most popular song of the night that we had to play again in the encore was 'On Your Case'. This was the first time we have played it live. It's a song that our dearly departed Old Git gave me a couple of lyric lines for back at the end of last summer to get me started when I was having a writers block. It's a cracking tune and I'm so glad it went down well. I know he would have been pleased about that.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1170176' date='Mar 20 2011, 10:50 PM']sounds a roaring success, Adam. Shame it clashed with our gig, otherwise I would have been there. BTW my lot are up for triple header with BigRedX's lot and the Jetsonics[/quote]

I'll work on that. Speak to you soon.