Why become a member? ×

Is computer recording really worth all the hassle?

thebrig

[quote name='crez5150' post='1156222' date='Mar 10 2011, 08:40 AM']It'll be interesting to see if any manufacturers take advantage of the new Thunderbolt port on the new Macbooks..... Claim it's 10Gbps..... which is quite an advancement over Firewire 800 and USB 2.0[/quote]
I hope they do. Can't see why they wouldn't take advantage there.

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='1153143' date='Mar 7 2011, 10:41 PM']Also - ditch Sonar,[/quote]

Your opinion of course, and maybe just pilot error.
Not that i am a Sonar user.

Sean Murray, Composer for Call of Duty - Black ops, seems to get the job done in Sonar.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0mvpVGCIwg&feature=player_embedded#at=22"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0mvpVGCIwg..._embedded#at=22[/url]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1156208' date='Mar 10 2011, 08:24 AM']I have Reaper on both Mac & PC & they're just about identical. I like the Mac because it's a lot less prone to crashing or getting a virus.[/quote]

I would suggest that you keep a computer for purely music purposes IE don't connect the f***er to the net, this way you don't risk viruses whether you're mac or PC.

The choice between Mac and PC, logic, Sonar, Cubase is purely down to personal choice now.

The one thing no-one has covered is the practicalities. You will also be trying to play Bass and operate, set levels, sound check etc.

Don't under-estimate this task. Monitoring 16 channels for peaks and distortion and listening to the whole band while trying to nail your part is VERY hard to do.

I've tried several solutions.

I'm guessing if you are aiming to record 16 tracks simultaneously you are looking at a live recording, or as live as you can with minimum overdub/correct mistakes.

Really you need to think about what you are aiming for with the recording.

I've had best results with an analogue mixer into a stereo digital recorder. Operated by someone who knows how to mix live. You end up with tons of bleed into your 16 separate tracks anyway, unless you have different rooms with windows or good baffling to separate the musicians.

Microphones ? Don't even go there - you're going to need 16 and several different types.

Will your band be patient while you mess around setting up/breaking down/sound checking? Where can you do this? If you have a room where you can set it all up and leave it, fine, otherwise you're looking at a lot of work each time you want to record something.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1157715' date='Mar 11 2011, 09:52 AM']I would suggest that you keep a computer for purely music purposes IE don't connect the f***er to the net, this way you don't risk viruses whether you're mac or PC.[/quote]
+1000,000

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1156208' date='Mar 10 2011, 08:24 AM']I have Reaper on both Mac & PC & they're just about identical. I like the Mac because it's a lot less prone to crashing or getting a virus.[/quote]

I've had my Pro Tools setup installed on my MB Pro for all of 3 days, run it for maybe six hours so far, and it has crashed once.

For reference, it has only ever crashed twice when running the same gear under Windoze - hundreds of hours.

Of course this could just mean that my audio interface has better Win drivers than Mac drivers, rather than Pro Tools/Win being more stable, or Win itself being more stable, but it does at least make the point that simplistic "Mac is more reliable" arguments aren't really any use for evaluating anything.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1157715' date='Mar 11 2011, 09:52 AM']I would suggest that you keep a computer for purely music purposes IE don't connect the f***er to the net, this way you don't risk viruses whether you're mac or PC.[/quote]
Yup, I agree. Tho it's not so easy when the Mrs connects everything she can to the web :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1161088' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:35 PM']I've had my Pro Tools setup installed on my MB Pro for all of 3 days, run it for maybe six hours so far, and it has crashed once.

For reference, it has only ever crashed twice when running the same gear under Windoze - hundreds of hours.

Of course this could just mean that my audio interface has better Win drivers than Mac drivers, rather than Pro Tools/Win being more stable, or Win itself being more stable, but it does at least make the point that simplistic "Mac is more reliable" arguments aren't really any use for evaluating anything.[/quote]
I've never used Pro Tools before. It might well be better suited to Windows or it might have something that conflicts with something else that's on your MB.
I hope you get it sorted out as it's handy to have 2 machines with the same software (for times when the Mrs is on the one you want to use).

[quote name='Skol303' post='1155247' date='Mar 9 2011, 01:12 PM']^ You know what? There's a lot to be said for doing things with minimal equipment!

I cut my musical teeth, so to speak, using only shareware/freeware software on a knackered old Macintosh (which eventually packed up and took all of my hard work with it... but that's another story!).

Fact is, you learn so much more that way than people who just jump in and spend a ton of cash on the latest kit from the outset. Working with limited tools, or on a limited budget, makes you much more creative in my opinion. And then when you finally get your hands on some better quality equipment, you really know how to get the best out of it!

Same goes for all aspects of music. There'll always be those who produce brilliant stuff using the bare minimum, and vice-versa: those who have "all the gear and no idea"! ;-)[/quote]

I'm in the same process as the OP of starting a home/mobile studio and I've been up and down. One minute I'm close to spending £700 on a rig next I think I'm just wasting my money.

I agree with your point. Some people will do great stuff on a shoestring and other people spend grands and realise it isn't really for them. Thi shappens in anything, golf, fishing whatever. But on that subject I would be concerned if you started with cheap stuff your music would sound naff so it would be hard to get the right motivation to really get stuck in.

It's like if you buy a really rubbish guitar. It sounds bad and plays bad so it's really hard to learn on and stick to whereas if you get a really nice one it sounds good and is easier to play so it gives you the added incentive to learn. Of course I could be talking complete bollocks, as I often do haha

I'm going to do a post later today so I don't completely hijack the OP's post. Hope you will give your input on that one :)

Forgot about this thread... for earlier questions I'm on the same wavelength as thisnameistaken, except I really didn't like the plugins, in fact most of them were pretty bad from what i remember, when I moved to logic recording and mixing experience was much much better. I'm not saying there isn't better software than logic, each to there own, in fact i'd love to try pro tools just can't justify the cash.

[quote name='willyf87' post='1162794' date='Mar 15 2011, 09:53 AM']In fact i'd love to try pro tools just can't justify the cash.[/quote]

When people talk about Pro tools, its not just the software...thats pretty cheap to buy.
Top end studios and media broadcast will be using Pro tools HD. [If they use Pro tools]
Not a Mbox or M-Audio interface running the Pro tools sequencer.

In project studios any software on Mac or PC will get the job done.
Then its down to how creative/musical the operator is.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='1162818' date='Mar 15 2011, 10:13 AM']When people talk about Pro tools, its not just the software...thats pretty cheap to buy.
Top end studios and media broadcast will be using Pro tools HD. [If they use Pro tools]
Not a Mbox or M-Audio interface running the Pro tools sequencer.

In project studios any software on Mac or PC will get the job done.
Then its down to how creative/musical the operator is.

Garry[/quote]

+1 too many people relying on plug-ins or pre-made loops. Don't get too bogged down in the technology. It's a tool not the basis of your musical creativity.

[quote name='JayPH' post='1162780' date='Mar 15 2011, 09:43 AM']I'm in the same process as the OP of starting a home/mobile studio and I've been up and down. One minute I'm close to spending £700 on a rig next I think I'm just wasting my money.

I agree with your point. Some people will do great stuff on a shoestring and other people spend grands and realise it isn't really for them. Thi shappens in anything, golf, fishing whatever. But on that subject I would be concerned if you started with cheap stuff your music would sound naff so it would be hard to get the right motivation to really get stuck in.[/quote]

^ No probs, I totally understand your concerns re: low-end gear.

My tips here would be to pick up a copy of both Reaper (http://www.reaper.fm/) and Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) - unless you already have them, of course! ;-) Both of these softwares come highly recommended by most folks - they're easy to use (esp. Reaper) and very cheap: Reaper retails at about £60-80 last time I checked for the full version, but you can run the fully-working demo for free for as long as you like. Audacity is completely free. A friend of mine, who runs a studio for a living, still uses Reaper as the basis for most of his own music - it's THAT good and a serious contender against the more expensive DAWs like ProTools.

I personally use Reason & Record for the vast majority of things (http://www.propellerheads.se/). You can pick up both as a bundle for around £300 - so not exactly cheap, but well-priced compared to others. It's all a matter of personal preference, but I love Reason/Record because they're so damn quick and easy to use - you can literally throw down some ideas in 10 minutes and then come back and work on them in detail at a later stage. This helps if - like me - you tend to hit upon a good idea for a piece of music and then the next minute it's vanished from your memory! I also like the user-interface on Reason; but again it's a matter of "horses for courses", as the saying goes.

Anyway, hope this help and happy twiddling!

[quote name='Skol303' post='1163087' date='Mar 15 2011, 01:56 PM']^ No probs, I totally understand your concerns re: low-end gear.

My tips here would be to pick up a copy of both Reaper (http://www.reaper.fm/) and Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) - unless you already have them, of course! ;-) Both of these softwares come highly recommended by most folks - they're easy to use (esp. Reaper) and very cheap: Reaper retails at about £60-80 last time I checked for the full version, but you can run the fully-working demo for free for as long as you like. Audacity is completely free. A friend of mine, who runs a studio for a living, still uses Reaper as the basis for most of his own music - it's THAT good and a serious contender against the more expensive DAWs like ProTools.

I personally use Reason & Record for the vast majority of things (http://www.propellerheads.se/). You can pick up both as a bundle for around £300 - so not exactly cheap, but well-priced compared to others. It's all a matter of personal preference, but I love Reason/Record because they're so damn quick and easy to use - you can literally throw down some ideas in 10 minutes and then come back and work on them in detail at a later stage. This helps if - like me - you tend to hit upon a good idea for a piece of music and then the next minute it's vanished from your memory! I also like the user-interface on Reason; but again it's a matter of "horses for courses", as the saying goes.

Anyway, hope this help and happy twiddling![/quote]
Cheers Skol303

I've lost count how many people have recommended Reaper to me now so I shall definately be downloading a copy.

I'm still speccing my rig out but once I am happy with it I'll post it up and would be grateful if you and the others could cast an eye over it and let me know if I'm doing it right.

All the best

John

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1163859' date='Mar 15 2011, 11:06 PM']Be prepared for at least 10 different answers per 4 members :)[/quote]

Haha I will do mate. I've changed my mind about 10 times already. i might just get one of those electronic things Rolf Harris used to play and a tape recorder :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1163859' date='Mar 15 2011, 11:06 PM']Be prepared for at least 10 different answers per 4 members :)[/quote]

Haha I will do mate. I've changed my mind about 10 times already. i might just get one of those electronic things Rolf Harris used to play and a tape recorder :)

Thanks for all the advice everybody, although I'm still a bit confused as to what interface to get.

It needs to be quite portable, and able to record at least 8 tracks simultaneously, preferably more if possible.

My budget is around £400/£500

But I have just upgraded my laptop to:

Intel Core i5-450M
15.6" HD LED LCD
Intel HD Graphics
4 GB DDR3 Memory
500 GB HDD
DVD-Super Multi DL Drive

So I'm hoping I have a decent enough computer for the job, but it does not have Firewire!

Most laptops these days don't have Firewire, but most of the audio interfaces I'm looking at are Firewire.

So would a Firewire IEEE 1394 6 Pin Male to Male USB 2.0 Adapter do the job, or would it be affected by the limitations of USB?

[i][b]I have just posted a new thread on this subject.[/b][/i]

[quote name='JayPH' post='1164260' date='Mar 16 2011, 11:49 AM']i might just get one of those electronic things Rolf Harris used to play and a tape recorder :)[/quote]
You mean a Stylophone and they are available in Toys R Us! Its true. I had a little solo part the other night to do at a gig. Uknown to the band members i had my Stylophone in my back pocket and whipped it out and began soloing on it. Its great.

I've just seen the [b]Alesis MultiMix16 USB 2.0 Analogue Mixer & Audio Interface[/b]

[url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug08/articles/alesisMultimixUSB16.htm"]http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug08/arti...ltimixUSB16.htm[/url]

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Cheers.

Edited by thebrig

I'm using the Alesis iMultimix 8 USB & have no complaints with it other than the fact that I haven't been able to use my iPhone on it since updating to iOS4.
A chap from Alesis has been looking into it for me tho (I need to email him & see if there's any news on an update yet).

I plug my gear straight into it & USB straight into the iMac.

[quote name='thebrig' post='1164985' date='Mar 16 2011, 08:57 PM']I've just seen the [b]Alesis MultiMix16 USB 2.0 Analogue Mixer & Audio Interface[/b]

[url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug08/articles/alesisMultimixUSB16.htm"]http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug08/arti...ltimixUSB16.htm[/url]

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Cheers.[/quote]

Why would they not have insert points on the channels???? That is insane...

You should look at Acoustica Mixcraft it is cheap and even easier to use than Reaper, believe me I never thought I would find something easier to use. It is cheap and easy on the CPU.

[url="http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/"]http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/[/url]

The software goes for £46 and has loads of drums patterns, loops, and vst's.

That's what I'm using now and it's great.

[quote name='RockfordStone' post='1166701' date='Mar 18 2011, 09:09 AM']i run a pc and laptop with cubase on both for home and mobile recording, and i very rarely have any issues that are not self created[/quote]

Agree to that. I love reading threads about people using computers. Nearly all contain people slagging off something purely because they didn't read the user guide and screwed everything up, then all of a sudden you get loads of posts containing "cubase/pro tools/logic is utter crap".

Computer recording is only hassle if you don't learn to use it properly!

Edited by TankJon