Why become a member? ×

Whatever I try Ampeg still sounds the best!

wesfinn

I have had many bass amps over the years from tech soundsystems, Aguilar, markbass, GK and all of them have been great while I've owned them...until I go to a reheasal and end up renting an Ampeg SVT classic and 8x10. The sound of my gear never compares so I end up selling it on but not buying an ampeg due to the sheer size.

I've heard that you get get an apeg ish sound from a mesa boogie but havn't been able to get it myself.

why cant an svt weigh 4lbs!!!??

I keep meaning to try on of these [url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/microvr/index.html"]Ampeg Classic Series Micro VR[/url] stacks. (There isn't a convenient local Ampeg dealer that I know of...) Very good reviews, e.g. in Bass Guitar Magazine, especially with 2 of the SVT210 cabs. The head weighs 10lbs, and the cabs 25lbs each. OK, it's 'only' 200 watts, but I wouldn't be too surprised if my trouser legs flapped just a little with those 4 10s in a vertical line!

[quote name='wesfinn' post='1150486' date='Mar 5 2011, 12:49 PM']I have had many bass amps over the years from tech soundsystems, Aguilar, markbass, GK and all of them have been great while I've owned them...until I go to a reheasal and end up renting an Ampeg SVT classic and 8x10. The sound of my gear never compares so I end up selling it on but not buying an ampeg due to the sheer size.

I've heard that you get get an apeg ish sound from a mesa boogie but havn't been able to get it myself.

why cant an svt weigh 4lbs!!!??[/quote]

have you considered getting a 4x10 cabinet? its a near as makes no difference to an 8x10 on the tonal side of things! You can wheel them about easily on your own and its not too hard to lift them with 2 people. I think they weigh around 9 stone!

Edited by Michaelg

A lot of rigs sound good, not just Ampeg, so if you're not going to take the strain you'd better learn to love something else.

If I were you I'd have a look at the Bergantino NV cabs. They don't have ports (which is the unique feature of the SVT 810) and the NV610 is reported to be just as good at less than half the weight.

Edited by chris_b

unfortunately I don't have the space for a 410 in my flat. I've always had to have smaller cabs because of this. I'm going to try out an ampeg SVT 7 when were a bit quieter at work with various small cabs till i get the right combination.

Know what you mean, I too love Ampeg, but have had to get rid of my gear, as it`s just too heavy for me now.

I did have the SVT210AV cab thats been mentioned, for a while, and its a great little cab. Do think two of those, with the Micro head would be good for gigs. Over on T*lkb*ss, these get some very positive comments. JimmyM in particular is a fan.

There`s currently one of these up for grabs in the For Sale section, where the cab has been modified to a 4ohm cab, tho the seller is willing to put the original speakers back in.

Def worth a look, I reckon. I seriously considered the Micro head with two of the 210s, but cash, or lack of, is the thing that usually gets in the way of good ideas.

I hate to say this, but even the amp purists admit if you want an Ampeg sound, and I mean the PROPER Ampeg sealed fridge tone, you need the real thing.

The Berg NV610 is apparently incredible, but I can bet there is still a difference, whether you find it better or worse is down to your ears.

Ive heard their sealed 4x10s and they are pretty punchy, but not the same.

If I had the roadies and space, and I could buy a Heritage version, I would. My alternative is Orange, which is a different sound, but the growl for the tube distortion is very unique :) It sounds less 'scooped' than the Ampeg to my ears.

Don't know much about the Ampeg stuff but I've been told that they do a 6x10 cab that is a happy halfway between the 4x10 and 8x10 (quite literally) as well as it being much lighter.

There is a bloke I saw on youtube with one - looked cool with the svt head (don't know which one) on the top.

[quote name='wesfinn' post='1150533' date='Mar 5 2011, 01:30 PM']....unfortunately I don't have the space for a 410 in my flat....[/quote]
Well if you don't even have room in your flat for a 410, stop torturing yourself over an 810!

The older Ampeg designs are permanently in the catalogue but some of the newer amps seem to be discontinued quite quickly. I've not heard the SVT7 but it's heavy for a class D powered amp. It'll probably sound like an Ampeg though!

If you've already discounted GK and Aguilar, I think you'd get the best fat bass tone in a small, light package from either a TC or Markbass though a Barefaced cab.

Edited by chris_b

I do rather feel a lot of money can be spent trying to replicate a sound that can only really be gotten from the product you are trying to sound like. I'm sure there are Ampeg-esque tones with lots of pedals and other makes but for a real Ampeg tone you do really need Ampeg. And I don't wish this to sound like an Ampeg Elitist post, the same applies if trying to get a Vox tone or a Fender tone etc.

That said I too have heard good things about TC RH450/Classic tones. I guess it depends on how good your ear is and how much you are willing to compromise.

I know what you mean, I also owned the same rig and I thought it was the best tone ever but the weight put me off and I ended up selling the rig.....Best tone ever until I tried my current rig!
Now I run my bass through a VT bass into an Aguilar DB751 and a Bergantino NV610 and couldn't be happier, I don't miss my old sound/weight at all, my tone is a much better/improved Ampeg monster tone!

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='wesfinn' post='1150486' date='Mar 5 2011, 01:49 PM']I have had many bass amps over the years from tech soundsystems, Aguilar, markbass, GK and all of them have been great while I've owned them...until I go to a reheasal and end up renting an Ampeg SVT classic and 8x10. The sound of my gear never compares so I end up selling it on but not buying an ampeg due to the sheer size.

why cant an svt weigh 4lbs!!!??[/quote]

You can get an Ampegish sound from f.i. the Mesa Boogie Walkabout. The most tubish hybrid basshead there is.
But it is 'Ampegish' and you have to adjust the eq quite a bit and that is one sensitive eq!

If you're after the SVT sound, but not the size and weight, you should definitely try the Micro VR and 210AV cab(s).

I own both the Mesa WA and the Micro VR with 2x the 210AV and to my ears the Micro VR wins.
For small clubs and bars (pubs?) the volume is more than sufficient. In bigger venues you can hook up to he PA.
Due to the vertical stacking of the 210's you're able to hear yourself very well on stage.

Very recommendable if you love "the Ampeg sound".

I have an SVT that was made in 1970, basically the ultimate SVT and the similarity to the Micro VR is uncanny. That's sound that is, the size and weight is another thing, side by side is just :) :) :lol:

Edited by SS73

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1150582' date='Mar 5 2011, 10:10 PM']Try a Sansamp VT into something fairly transparent (like any of the other rigs you mention).[/quote]

^^^^^^
Defo.

I ran a VT bass into a tube slave when trialling out an Ampeg V4b only a few weeks ago.
The Ampeg was no different in tones I found useful .... the VT had it covered, and it literally sounded sooooooooo similar it was uncanny.

IME, an Ampeg is the full valve job and it is the power stage that makes it.
I am not so fussed about the valve pre's through a SS amp and not that impressed with the cabs
but put them all together with a decent sounding bass and its there.

I prefer Boggie but there is only one Ampeg rig, IMV and it all weighs a ton.

I will be trying the more modern stuff this week, so will get an update on the HLF type cabs

Many a mini stack can get trouser flapping though...if that is the criteria....well, I know one for sure.

There have been lots of different Ampeg amps and cabs over the years and they all sound different! There are some pretty big differences just between their sealed 8x10"s they've made, let alone the other stuff (they did isobaric before Orange, they made some of the first lightweight neo gear (which is best forgotten!), they made some amazing 'Extreme' cabs (18"+2x10"+2x6.5"+tweeter and a smaller version) and so on...

Barefaced '69er should be ready relatively soon, waiting on a large shipment of custom plywood!