Why become a member? ×

recommended compressors

challxyz

I'm really interested to hear what compressors are being used by other bass chat dudes, I have 2 amps, one being a mesa mpulse which has a built in compressor, I love it because it's not too obvious when in use, very subtle, however my other amp, Ampeg svtII doesn't have compression built in, so I'd like to buy something along the lines of the mesa comp to use with the ampeg, any ideas or recommendations would be useful. I've tried a Boss pedal before (can't remember name of it, little blue one) but too harsh for me. Is anyone using tube compressors and if so what are your thoughts?

Cheers :)

What style of music are you playing and how much do you want to spend?

I use a Demeter Compulator which is my personal choice; I've also used a BBE Optostomp and EBS Multicomp which were both good. The Boss comp is OK as long as it's modded as it's a little hissy un-modded. The Aphex Punch Factory is also good. Several people rate the Trace Elliot comp if you can find one.

Put the kettle on, grab some Hobnobs and have a read here - [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml[/url]

[quote name='Hamster' post='1150389' date='Mar 5 2011, 11:11 AM']What style of music are you playing and how much do you want to spend?

I use a Demeter Compulator which is my personal choice; I've also used a BBE Optostomp and EBS Multicomp which were both good. The Boss comp is OK as long as it's modded as it's a little hissy un-modded. The Aphex Punch Factory is also good. Several people rate the Trace Elliot comp if you can find one.

Put the kettle on, grab some Hobnobs and have a read here - [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml[/url][/quote]

much food for thought mr Hamster sir :-) I must admit I've never heard of the Demeter Compulator, looks to be very interesting being an optical comp, good reviews too.
I've used the Trace comp on a combo amp a few years ago and it was good, but as you say hard to come by.

My style of music is rock, indie guitar stuff and blues, budget is probably £150- 200

Problem is I don't have any hobnobs.....just yet :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1151466' date='Mar 6 2011, 02:09 PM']I rate the Aguilar TLC very highly. Smooths out your sound beautifully without touching your sound.[/quote]

+1
Another Aguilar fan here. After trying different unit, Maxon, EBS, Boss, Demeter...the TLC is the one I'm liking the most, it's a very, very good floor comp.

Edited by PauBass

I use an Emma TransMORGrifier which is great. I've also got an Aphex Punch Factory which is nice but really subtle,an an old Ibanez CP-9 which is really good aswell.
The Emma is the only one that lives on my pedal board though.

[quote name='challxyz' post='1151100' date='Mar 6 2011, 02:16 AM']much food for thought mr Hamster sir :-) I must admit I've never heard of the Demeter Compulator, looks to be very interesting being an optical comp, good reviews too.
I've used the Trace comp on a combo amp a few years ago and it was good, but as you say hard to come by.

My style of music is rock, indie guitar stuff and blues, budget is probably £150- 200

Problem is I don't have any hobnobs.....just yet :)[/quote]

If you guys like the Trace Compressor (SMX) and how it works on your signal, try the FEA labs Dual SMX
www.fealabs.com
Kind of a modern version of the SMX

I have a Tonefactor Pulp Mill for sale. It is based on the old Orange squeezers from the 1970's. It can go from funky hard compression to subtle levelling of your bass signal. I really love this compressor but no longer use it because my valve amps compressor naturally. Most compressors seem to take away some of the lower frequencies. This Pulp Mill has been modified to stop this and re wired with silver cable and a new orange LED.

Check it out in the effects for sale section.

I run a full rack one (a Samson since you ask) on my bass rig, that way, you can see what you're doing on the meters - I run one channel compressing, and the other limiting, overkill, perhaps, but it suits me! I wouldn't recommend the Samson though... I've got a Alesis 3630 and a Behringer Composer Pro in the "studio" rack, and both seem better! (the Samson has had a few random issues that turning each pot up/back down seems to "fix" ... but doesn't inspire musch confidence long-term!)

He we go again :)

If it has to be a pedal:-

Markbass Compressore
Joe Meek FloorQ

If its in a rack then the usual subjects are:-

dbx 160a
Focusrite Compounder

Transparent levelling is all about settings, and if you dont have all the comtrols and the meters to set up the device properly then you are on a hiding to nothing....

My money's on the Demeter Compulator for its ease of use versus quality of results. Only drawback being it picks up interference from my cheap power supply, (including a tuner, that's my only 2 pedals and I don't want to spend a fortune on a posh power brick thing), so I have to run it from a 9v battery.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='1164127' date='Mar 16 2011, 09:49 AM'][/quote]
That's what I'm using these days, and I think it's lovely. My only gripe is that you can't control the different bands separately in "Studio" (i.e. multiband) mode, but it does a nice job anyway with whatever automatic settings it's using. It lets me whack out a bassline at the same time as leaving harmonics ringing on the upper strings... without getting muddy or swamping the harmonics.

+1 for the Trace Elliot SMX Dual Comp. Had one in my chain for ages, still got it somewhere.

It's been replaced in the last couple of years by the Analogman Bi-Comprossor - see [url="http://www.analogman.com/rossmod.htm"]http://www.analogman.com/rossmod.htm[/url] about half way down the page. Very happy with it. (18 month waiting list though)