Why become a member? ×

Setup revives the LOVE!

Flanker

Over the past few months I had become frustrated at how my Ash/ Maple Skjold had somehow lost it's ability to sound percussive and produce the killer slap/pop tone it once had.

I was close to doing what I always do and move the bass on for a financial loss and replace it with another Nordy / Celinder/ Overwater etc. This GAS was not helped by playing my old Celinder now owned by Fingerz and it just sounded KILLER!

I've had the Skjold three years which for me is almost a record and I am sentimentally attached to it so I thought I should give it some love and attention because it is a fantastic bass.

Anyway the point of this post is that I picked up the bass from BassDirect after having a setup and some new strings, the difference is unbelievable, I came home and played it for three hours......just excellent! Slap tone to die for and it just sounds amazing all round.

Still want a Celinder mind but at least the Skjold is going nowhere. Try a simple setup- it's like having a new bass!

Oh and I will be getting a Streamliner - played it today- lovely!

I love Skjolds, theres a particular model I always had GAS for before Wood and Tronics made the VM. I'm a bit like you I have a guitar i've owned for 4 years that i've babied but i'm being pushed to sell for need of an amp :). If your not in desperate need keep the Skjold! they're very eye catching and have a pleasingly versatile round woody tone...now I want one dang it :)

A pro set-up certainly changes an instrument.

I had my main gigging bass set up properly, and the difference in sound was amazing. Playability too, of course, but everything seemed to ring out with a far better, and more even resonance than before.

There's no doubt they are fantastic basses, very versatile and my one is really comfy at 8 lbs. To be honest as it sounds and plays now I haven't had a nicer bass, a bit quirky looking but that has grown on me too. I like Celinders and would love an update5 but they are big basses and it wouldn't replace the Skjold.

Everyone who has played mine has been very complimentary.

I factor in the cost of a pro setup from Peter Allen whenever I buy a bass (which is, erm, all too frequently!). I really do think it makes that much difference. In fact I think BassDirect use Peter for their setups.

Ive never had a proper setup on any of my basses, but I think its about time I got one sorted. My Warwick feels lifeless and I seem to have lost the growl and power behind it, its just not there no matter what I do.

How much does a setup normally cost?

[quote name='deej' post='1148052' date='Mar 3 2011, 09:35 AM']Ive never had a proper setup on any of my basses, but I think its about time I got one sorted. My Warwick feels lifeless and I seem to have lost the growl and power behind it, its just not there no matter what I do.

How much does a setup normally cost?[/quote]

I think it depends on what's done. In the bad old days, I've paid for setups where they've basically tweaked the truss rod, and that was about it. However, a pro-setup involves a lot more than that.
[url="http://www.guitartechnicalservices.co.uk/acatalog/Professional_Set-up.html"]This is what Peter Allen does.[/url]

He charges £78, but it's worth every penny. I think you can get regular setups for around the £35 mark.

Edited by tredders

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='1148063' date='Mar 3 2011, 09:46 AM']How long had your previous set of strings been on? It may be that it was the strings, not the setup, that made the majority of the difference.

S.P.[/quote]

Ive tried new strings but it hasnt changed much. Im no expert at setting up my bass as ive hardly ever had to do it, but I cant seem to get this one quite right. Thats why im thinking of getting someone to do it properly for me.

[quote name='tredders' post='1148067' date='Mar 3 2011, 09:47 AM']I think it depends on what's done. In the bad old days, I've paid for setups where they've basically tweaked the truss rod, and that was about it. However, a pro-setup involves a lot more than that.
[url="http://www.guitartechnicalservices.co.uk/acatalog/Professional_Set-up.html"]This is what Peter Allen does.[/url]

He charges £78, but it's worth every penny. I think you can get regular setups for around the £35 mark.[/quote]

Cheers, I'll have a look into it.

Too many people in music seem to assume their instrument has 'gone off' when all it really needs is a decent setup.
We once had a chap almost in tears at the difference a 30-odd quid job had made to his acoustic 12 string! :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1148117' date='Mar 3 2011, 10:34 AM']Its definitely worth learning to do a good basic setup. Especially if you have basses where the neck shifts at the onset of Summer & winter.[/quote]
I find I give all of my instruments a setup twice a year for this reason. The difference is significant..

[quote name='hubrad' post='1148088' date='Mar 3 2011, 10:04 AM']Too many people in music seem to assume their instrument has 'gone off' when all it really needs is a decent setup.
We once had a chap almost in tears at the difference a 30-odd quid job had made to his acoustic 12 string! :)[/quote]

There were some very happy and amazed Basschatters at the London Bass Bash last summer after Bernie Goodfellow had done some free setups.

There were results ranging from fixing enormously high action, buzzes or other problems, to making minor tweaks to basses that seemed very well set up already but had their owners muttering words like "wizard" and "some kind of god" and shaking their heads in disbelief.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='1147803' date='Mar 2 2011, 10:36 PM']I want the Erskine Signature, thats the one for me! And the tronics VM and I'd be sorted for life.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mGyEtHU1Bg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mGyEtHU1Bg[/url][/quote]

That really is a beautiful bass. I've lusted after one of those for a couple of years now.

[quote name='tredders' post='1148067' date='Mar 3 2011, 09:47 AM']I think it depends on what's done. In the bad old days, I've paid for setups where they've basically tweaked the truss rod, and that was about it. However, a pro-setup involves a lot more than that.

He charges £78, but it's worth every penny. I think you can get regular setups for around the £35 mark.[/quote]

That is very good value for a very thorough set up.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1148208' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:40 AM']That is very good value for a very thorough set up.[/quote]

I've had 5 basses setup by Peter over the last 4 or 5 years, and have been delighted every time. Nice thing is now, I can just drop a bass in and Peter knows exactly how I like it setup!

A nice touch is that you get a full "MOT Report" of your bass, with before & after info on it, and details of all the work done. Top job.

Edited by tredders

[quote name='Jigster' post='1148230' date='Mar 3 2011, 12:03 PM']+1 to Peter Allen - top guy and very thorough - i think the price drops a little Tredders after one's first set up??

I've only had the one and can't remember..[/quote]

Yeah, you're right. I think it's 10% off after the first one...

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1148168' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:08 AM']There were some very happy and amazed Basschatters at the London Bass Bash last summer after Bernie Goodfellow had done some free setups.

There were results ranging from fixing enormously high action, buzzes or other problems, to making minor tweaks to basses that seemed very well set up already but had their owners muttering words like "wizard" and "some kind of god" and shaking their heads in disbelief.[/quote]
I was one of them! Felt like a new instrument!

I had a Shuker jazz as a gift from my wife at christmas, which was nice
I've been having a vibrating noise coming from it when I play an open E or A. Ithought it was a problem with the nut but when I took it to a local luthier in Cardiff yesterday called Dave Dearnaley and he informed me that the problem is due to the set up. Apparently it needs a fret dressing as the string is catching the high end frets (12+)
Is this normal for a newly made bass?

Edited by chilievans

[quote name='chilievans' post='1151175' date='Mar 6 2011, 09:43 AM']I had a Shuker jazz as a gift from my wife at christmas, which was nice
I've been having a vibrating noise coming from it when I play an open E or A. Ithought it was a problem with the nut but when I took it to a local luthier in Cardiff yesterday called Dave Dearnaley and he informed me that the problem is due to the set up. Apparently it needs a fret dressing as the string is catching the high end frets (12+)
Is this normal for a newly made bass?[/quote]
Wouldn't have thought so but I guess it does happen. Nigel Roberts at Leicestershire luthier is another setup/ "optimisation bod that's well worth trying, his service includes the full fret dress and all the trimmings and is v v good, he's worked on a number of my basses and they have all come back playing like a dream, paying an extra few quid to have this kind of work done is worth every penny and the difference in terms of sound and playability can be quite drastic.