Why become a member? ×

Need a Motown-y/soul-y kind of amp. Any suggestions?

Truckstop

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a traditional sounding amp. I know that many of you will suggest getting a vintage bass (and i'd agree. The bass adds more to the sound than the amp does imo), but I need an amp that actually looks and sounds the part too.
It may be possible that very soon I will be the basist for a motown/soul function band, and my rackmounted GK doesn't look particularly.... period. Does it? Should I go for a new amp with classice styling? Or should I try and track down something nice and vintage? I'd guess the price range would be anything up to £700? Might have to spend more for the right one though.
So, any thoughts would be nice, thank you!

Cheers

Alex

Traditional, vintage and old school are all pretty meaningless terms.

Ampeg is considered "old school" but at the same time a Fender Dual Showman with JBL's was considered the best you could get and it sounded very different. It was still warm but the JBL's made it sound clear and more like modern amps. A Marshall stack was a completely different sound again.

These days Bob Babbitt is getting the same sound he got in the 60's but out of a Phil Jones rig instead!

Well you already have your MIA P so the sound part is covered :) As for the look on the amp you could go for anything covered in tweed or with silver grill cloth... the sound should be one that pleases you...
You have the new Aggies (Neo) very retro-looking, Ashdown flip-top or Little Bastard, Ampeg, flite cabs, barefaced, ...so many!

Probably is best for you to start giving us a number on your amp fund and we'll go from there :)

edit: spelling

Edited by Ghost_Bass

No brainer. For B-15 tones in a small portable unit, plus a lot of versatility if your needs change, it's gotta be a Mesa Walkabout Scout combo. £700 will probably get you a used one these days. Push the low mids a little and roll off the highs, and it's Motown heaven.

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1138691' date='Feb 23 2011, 03:24 PM']No brainer. For B-15 tones in a small portable unit, plus a lot of versatility if your needs change, it's gotta be a Mesa Walkabout Scout combo. £700 will probably get you a used one these days. Push the low mids a little and roll off the highs, and it's Motown heaven.

C[/quote]
I agree with Chris.

Yeah, I'm loving the look of the Aguilar DB range, but I simply can't afford to spend the best part of 500 quid on a cab! I might just keep checking eBay and this very site for a Fender Bassman combo. Sound great, they're American (brand, at least!) and look traditional!

Thanks for your help everybody. Just gotta keep looking for a second hand gem to pop up!

Truckstop

[quote name='Beedster' post='1138730' date='Feb 23 2011, 03:44 PM']I thought you wanted Motown?[/quote]

Yeah, but I'm shallow and I'm more after something that [b]looks[/b] Vintage. I feel I can achieve the sound via my playing style and using the right bass. I've only really started thinking about it all today anyway, so i'd better get to some shops and start test driving!

Cheers

Alex

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1138728' date='Feb 23 2011, 03:43 PM']I might just keep checking eBay and this very site for a Fender Bassman combo. Sound great, they're American (brand, at least!) and look traditional!

Thanks for your help everybody. Just gotta keep looking for a second hand gem to pop up!

Truckstop[/quote]

I have one and it sure looks purty in a very vintage tweedy way. It's also mighty heavy with just the one strap on the top (although it does come with removable wheels). Soundwise it'll certainly get you what you're looking for as well.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Jambo' post='1139310' date='Feb 23 2011, 10:25 PM']I have an ampeg B200R - valve pre amp, great tone, great looks......

[/quote]

Yeah man, I've got the B-100R, if you roll off the treble and upper mids, boost the low mids and bass , your in warm and deep chest thumping heaven!
It's a 'loud' 100 watts though, although a bit under powered for gigs and that's where the 200w version would work better. I don't think Ampeg sell these anymore though?

[quote name='gjones' post='1139278' date='Feb 23 2011, 10:04 PM']I have one and it sure looks purty in a very vintage tweedy way. It's also mighty heavy with just the one strap on the top (although it does come with removable wheels). Soundwise it'll certainly get you what you're looking for as well.

[/quote]

The Fender TV amps come in 10" and 12" rated at 150w, and a 2x10" and a 1x15" rated at 350 watts. The 15" is around £800, so just over your budget, but it has the retro look, enough power and old-school tone in spades.
I'd be buying this in your shoes. :)

[quote name='rodl2005' post='1139526' date='Feb 24 2011, 05:35 AM']MESA WALKABOUT SCOUT COMBO FTW!!!!! Get the 8ohm 12" version.... Vintage looks & sound & supremely versatile- take the head out -use it with a cab like a NV215 for a HUGE sound.... Also will do about 550W at 2 ohms.[/quote]
+1 but get the 4 ohm version.