Why become a member? ×

Pedal that can give you a sound like a pick player

KingPrawn

Yes i know it sound stupid because it is. " just use a pick". But i was wondering has anyone come across pedals that could give such a sound. Or maybe a combination of pedals. i was thinking an envelope filter, or an eq pedal. When you listen to Flea he has loads of attack using his fingers. Any thoughts

I get a very aggressive sound using my fingers, which is down to my 'improper technique'. Instead of my fingers stroking the strings I strike them fairly hard at around the neck pickup, getting an almost slap type tone. Also adding high mids, (or treble depending on your taste), and a bit of gain/overdrive helps :)

What about growing your nails? :)

I play mainly with fingers & when I want a strong attack, apply more pressure or change where I'm playing.
Playing near the bridge with the neck pu on will give you a similar(ish) tone to an upright bass, where as playing near the bridge will give you a more zingy, less bassy tone.

An envelope filter could maybe enhance that sound, depends on what filter you use.
Eg: the moog LPF only does up straight out the box, giving a typical funky duck or tuba like sound (if you know what I mean). Add a TRS lead (stereo 1/4 jack to jack) & take it from the env out to the cutoff in & turn the cutoff dial down to @ 120 hz & the amount dial to zero & the notes will have more attack & go down (very similar to an URB if played at the neck).
Some filter pedals have a switch to go between up & down. I'd go try a few or get on YouTube.

I hadn't replied to this thread because I felt so bad about the last thread! I never bothered to do sound clips. Naughty me :)

If you listen to the first track "legion of one" here [url="http://www.myspace.com/nologorock"]myspace.com/nologorock[/url] that's the sound i'm on about. I think I might have played it with a pick in the studio tbf, but the sound with my fingers is exactly the same.

I reckon any sort of mild overdrive, blended, and EQ'd right to bring out the click clack click clack will do it.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1146413' date='Mar 1 2011, 08:59 PM']The Steel Leather is alright for clean tones but you can forget about using other effects (unless you like the sounds it gets with other pedals!)

As it boosts certain top end frequenices is messed up my disortions as it was acting against them as it were

still a good pedal if you play mostly clean![/quote]

plus the one - i had a steel leather just after they came out and found exactly this problem...fine for clean, but a bit problematic with other effects.

[quote name='KingPrawn' post='1134120' date='Feb 20 2011, 10:26 AM']Yes i know it sound stupid because it is. " just use a pick". But i was wondering has anyone come across pedals that could give such a sound. Or maybe a combination of pedals. i was thinking an envelope filter, or an eq pedal. When you listen to Flea he has loads of attack using his fingers. Any thoughts[/quote]

Flea does use a pick sometimes (Parallel Universe for example) - depending on the song you're thinking of, it could just be that...

I would strongly recommend getting hold of one of [url="http://www.tricodesigns.co.uk/images/photography/favourite_plectrum.jpg"][u][i]these[/i][/u][/url]. If you spend a little bit of time getting to grips with it you should be able to achieve a sound that is exactly like using a pick, 100% of the time.

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1134132' date='Feb 20 2011, 10:33 AM']I get a very aggressive sound using my fingers, which is down to my 'improper technique'. Instead of my fingers stroking the strings I strike them fairly hard at around the neck pickup, getting an almost slap type tone. Also adding high mids, (or treble depending on your taste), and a bit of gain/overdrive helps :)[/quote]
In all seriousness though, I do exactly this^^^. My fingertips are now rock hard and I get a very pick-like tone. If I need the softer finger tone I just swivel my wrist around and play with the sides of my fingers, more like an upright technique.
No pedal will sound like a pick, it'll just get you something that sounds like a pedal trying to sound like a pick.