Why become a member? ×

Schroeder Cabs

Chezz55

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='224640' date='Jun 23 2008, 12:10 AM']FFS what now? You're worse than me... :) isn't he :huh:[/quote]

I don't think I am.. yet. :huh:

At some point soon I'm going to have to stop chopping and changing for the sake of it... assuming this latest twist works out, that's it. For a while.

[quote name='Smash' post='224643' date='Jun 23 2008, 12:13 AM']Having now gigged with my new 1212L I can say it works very well, it coped where I thought it wouldn't, it looked lost on a massive stage but I really don't want a big stack behind me anymore. It is a unique sound but you hear yourself amongst the guitar amps for a change instead of blending in. My only concern is Low B, it does lose a bit here but I cannot grumble for such a tiny package and the volume is huge it could run and run. It works very well with Markbass heads, can dial in some great tones I just have to get used to it but hope this time this cab will be a keeper as my back is thanking me in spades.[/quote]

My feelings as well.

The MB heads seem to be a very good choice with the Schroeder's. both my rigs are MB/Schroeder.

These cabs do look out of place on a big stage. I actually would like a big stack behind me but happy to just use the 1212L or 1210R. Its not about looks. I fi could get a bigger cab in the car then i would get one but these 12xx do the job.

Did the first "big" gig with my new 1212L and it handled the high wooden stage very well. Cant say it filled the room but it did a better job than my UL212 last time we were there.
The 1212L has a very tight mid and that helped to get the sound out in to the room with definition that my UL212 didnt have. Once out in the room i find the lows start taking over and so this helps keep the tone sitting in the mix rather sounding too middy. The lows are there, just not as low as a bigger cab could produce and for playing wooden stages this works great.
Ive always said these small cabs have two very different sounds. The close up, on stage one is middy and clear and every one can hear it on stage. Then when it gets say, 20 ft from you it starts to smooth out, like i have said above.
I've got a small issue with one of the drivers but its being sorted out quickly and it didn't really matter on the gig too much.

Ive used my 1210R with my Lakland 55-01 in the past and it handled the low B ok. Lets be sensible about what we expect from a small cab. Yes, it will handle it but not as well as the other bigger cabs as i believe the roll off is around 40hz on these small cabs. Still, it means its tight without sounding muddy IME and i never really noticed the low notes lacking in tone or punch.

I do think that given the choice of any cab/tone i dont think this would be my ideal choice but given my circumstances it is the only choice for me and im very happy with it.

All IME and IMHO of course. Done over 100 gigs with the SA450/1210R now and its never let me down. Still cant believe that the 1212L is better sounding and lighter but it is.

• 10 months later...

[quote name='Musicman20' post='490955' date='May 17 2009, 10:32 PM']These Shroeders seem excellent.

the 1212L isnt too bad a price...and SHX seem great to deal with.

Can a 1212L take on two guitarists and a drummer not miked up?![/quote]

I dont have any problems with my guitarists although they are both using combo's and not stacks.

Mine (1212r) holds up very well with a loud drummer. Our guitarist uses an all valve combo which is very loud.
Last night i had gremlins so ended up switching to just the Schroeder with no PA support mid gig. Plenty loud enough!

Very efficient little cab which is always heard

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='490962' date='May 17 2009, 10:46 PM']I dont have any problems with my guitarists although they are both using combo's and not stacks.[/quote]

I was looking at Epifani or Shroeder...or even Berg. Shroeder prices aint bad.

Did you sell your Epifani for the Shroeder?

Thanks for the comments guys!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='490980' date='May 17 2009, 11:05 PM']I was looking at Epifani or Shroeder...or even Berg. Shroeder prices aint bad.

Thanks for the comments guys![/quote]

I did sell my UL212 to get the 1212L. It was because i had to get a smaller cab though, not for the tone.
Saying that im much happier with the tone form the 1212L and its a lot louder (or at least its seems louder, due i guess to the mid range)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='490980' date='May 17 2009, 11:05 PM']I was looking at Epifani or Shroeder...or even Berg. Shroeder prices aint bad.

Thanks for the comments guys![/quote]

I had a 1212L and now I have 2 x Bergantino AE112's
Either of these will be fine with two guitarists and a loud drummer, assuming you have 500 watts to drive them :)
The thing with both is that they really punch through the mix.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='490988' date='May 17 2009, 11:12 PM'](or at least its seems louder, due i guess to the mid range)[/quote]

That's th point with the 1212L - it seems louder as the tone is very clear.
My band all moaned that I must be too loud now as they could hear me much more clearly on stage.
I was down on the dance floor checking the sound balance, though, and it was all about clarity and audibility, not volume as such.

[quote name='OldGit' post='490994' date='May 17 2009, 11:16 PM']That's th point with the 1212L - it seems louder as the tone is very clear.
My band all moaned that I must be too loud now as they could hear me much more clearly on stage.
I was down on the dance floor checking the sound balance, though, and it was all about clarity and audibility, not volume as such.[/quote]

Some people complain about the "mid-hump" like it's a bad thing!
I just say it's more "poky" :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='490994' date='May 17 2009, 11:16 PM']That's th point with the 1212L - it seems louder as the tone is very clear.
I was down on the dance floor checking the sound balance, though, and it was all about clarity and audibility, not volume as such.[/quote]

Indeed.
Ive said it before (as have others) but on stage it sounds very clear, sometimes too loud but the rest of the band have no problems hearing me (even if they dont listen to me ;-) but out front the sound is a lot smoother, sits better in the mix and mellows nicely.

Totally off topic...and as much as the GB Shuttlemax seems awesome, and it was one of my amp heads I needed to test, Im shocked the 'Made In Taiwan' hasnt been brought up! After Ampeg got slayed for 'Made In Vietnam' gear, Im suprised!

I dont really care to be honest, just surprised!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='490980' date='May 17 2009, 11:05 PM']I was looking at Epifani or Shroeder...or even Berg. Shroeder prices aint bad.[/quote]
I've done Schro (albeit the bigger boxes) and Berg.

Fer me... Berg all the way, 'cos I don't have to hack through a dense mix.

Both my bands are really impressed with my 1212L, plenty of volume and clarity even for bass-heavy sounds, never seems to need much EQ either. Very happy with it. My guitarist picked it up for the first time a couple of weeks ago and couldn't believe how light it was. It's the first bass cab I've ever owned that I didn't hate having to load in and out.

I've never tried Berg gear but I don't think I will either - I see no need to replace this thing unless it proves unreliable, and I've had no problems at all with it so far.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='491063' date='May 18 2009, 03:31 AM']It's the first bass cab I've ever owned that I didn't hate having to load in and out.[/quote]

Same here. I can load in all my gear in one go without breaking in to a sweat.
Unfortunately i still have to carry bits of the PA, a guitar amp or two (and some guitars) and some drums.
Bloody band.

I cant believe how heavy my 1210R is compared to the 1212L. I really need to upgrade the 1210L this year. quite fancy a 115L.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Musicman20' post='490955' date='May 17 2009, 10:32 PM']These Shroeders seem excellent.

the 1212L isnt too bad a price...and SHX seem great to deal with.

Can a 1212L take on two guitarists and a drummer not miked up?![/quote]

My LMII and single 1212L (4 ohm) copes very well within my noisy 7 piece which includes 2 guitarists, I've never had to have the master on the amp beyond 10 O'Clock. This cab is voiced to sit in the mix in its own space, works brilliantly no matter how cluttered the mix is and gives great on stage monitoring too.

[quote name='OldGit' post='491161' date='May 18 2009, 10:17 AM']How about talking to Alex about a Barefaced cab?

Review of one of his:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=46464&view=findpost&p=461384"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=461384[/url][/quote]

Those cabs look great but im a very impatient sort of person and the waiting list thing puts me off.
As i gig every weekend (not always with this rig but a lot of the time) and i would have to sell the 1201R to fund a new cab i would need one thats pretty easy to get hold of as i cant afford to be without ta cab for too long.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='491170' date='May 18 2009, 10:34 AM']Those cabs look great but im a very impatient sort of person and the waiting list thing puts me off.
As i gig every weekend (not always with this rig but a lot of the time) and i would have to sell the 1201R to fund a new cab i would need one thats pretty easy to get hold of as i cant afford to be without ta cab for too long.[/quote]

Generally the wait is about a month now, and others will attest that they've been skipped to the front of the queue if they've been in a similar situation to you - obviously if you have to sell your cab to fund the new one then you need the new one quickly!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='491188' date='May 18 2009, 10:51 AM']Generally the wait is about a month now, and others will attest that they've been skipped to the front of the queue if they've been in a similar situation to you - obviously if you have to sell your cab to fund the new one then you need the new one quickly!

Alex[/quote]

Good news all round then :)

That's just a bit longer than a Schroeder would take.
Sean at SHX doesn't hold much stock as such so things have to come from Jorg anyway. (you can order from Jorg directly and he will "negotiate" on price and features such as Rhino hide, but you still have to pay the shipping and duty and VAT and shipper's ransom etc.. )

[quote name='alexclaber' post='491188' date='May 18 2009, 10:51 AM']Generally the wait is about a month now, and others will attest that they've been skipped to the front of the queue if they've been in a similar situation to you - obviously if you have to sell your cab to fund the new one then you need the new one quickly!

Alex[/quote]

Thanks Alex. Ill certainly add the compact to my list then. Its just an idea at the moment though.
I think the band i use the 1210R with would appreciated something less middy :-)