Why become a member? ×

Schroeder Cabs

Chezz55

Hey guys

Bear with me on this one. So, if I go for Schroeder 1212L at 4ohms, and I get a Mark Bass Little Mark Tube 800, that means 800W through this cab (well the possibility). I wouldn’t be able to add another cab just to get the feeling of more speakers.

If I get the 8 ohm, then the Tube 800 will run through it at 500W, which is the same level most people are getting as they have LM2’s. It should basically be the same sort of power…yes? Apart from the 800 is ‘digital’. This no doubt would be enough. Ive heard the limiters have been improved, so this amp should run better than previous MB’s at 8 Ohms.

So…this would also mean I could add another cab to this, thus I would have the best of both worlds? The Little Marks only go down to 4ohm, as you all know. I could potentially have 500W into the 1212L on its own, and if, for ANY reason, I wanted a bit more thump and more speakers, I could add to it with what I like, get the Tube 800 down to 4 Ohms with 2 small cabs. I could even add any other cab that was available; say if the band I play with bring another 8 ohm cab, we could have bass destruction.

Does that make sense? Or am I missing the point?! Running the Tube 800 @ 8 Ohms, 500W, is still mentally loud, and Im guessing this will still provide a good amount of power for the power hungry Schroder. I’ve heard a few say you shouldn’t underpower Schroeders as they don’t sound as good unless they given decent power.

Obviously, this all depends on whether I go for the Tube 800, because if I decide after testing the LM3/LMTube is more than enough, Id go for a 1212L 4Ohm so I can get the full 500W out of it in one cab.

The problem is, I look at every available option, to make sure I get the right equipment. So I basically try and do as much research as I can! When I do finally decide, it will deserve some pics!

I can just imagine getting to test these MB’s, and realising I want a Epifani/Aguilar or something!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='494519' date='May 21 2009, 05:58 PM']Hey guys

Bear with me on this one. So, if I go for Schroeder 1212L at 4ohms, and I get a Mark Bass Little Mark Tube 800, that means 800W through this cab (well the possibility). I wouldn’t be able to add another cab just to get the feeling of more speakers.

If I get the 8 ohm, then the Tube 800 will run through it at 500W, which is the same level most people are getting as they have LM2’s. It should basically be the same sort of power…yes? Apart from the 800 is ‘digital’. This no doubt would be enough. Ive heard the limiters have been improved, so this amp should run better than previous MB’s at 8 Ohms.

So…this would also mean I could add another cab to this, thus I would have the best of both worlds? The Little Marks only go down to 4ohm, as you all know. I could potentially have 500W into the 1212L on its own, and if, for ANY reason, I wanted a bit more thump and more speakers, I could add to it with what I like, get the Tube 800 down to 4 Ohms with 2 small cabs. I could even add any other cab that was available; say if the band I play with bring another 8 ohm cab, we could have bass destruction.

Does that make sense? Or am I missing the point?! Running the Tube 800 @ 8 Ohms, 500W, is still mentally loud, and Im guessing this will still provide a good amount of power for the power hungry Schroder. I’ve heard a few say you shouldn’t underpower Schroeders as they don’t sound as good unless they given decent power.

Obviously, this all depends on whether I go for the Tube 800, because if I decide after testing the LM3/LMTube is more than enough, Id go for a 1212L 4Ohm so I can get the full 500W out of it in one cab.

The problem is, I look at every available option, to make sure I get the right equipment. So I basically try and do as much research as I can! When I do finally decide, it will deserve some pics!

I can just imagine getting to test these MB’s, and realising I want a Epifani/Aguilar or something![/quote]
U speak the truth! all makes sense to me! how much is a tube 800 anyway? My 21012 arrived today, why do i have neighbours im here playing at headphone levels, roll on the gig saturday!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='494519' date='May 21 2009, 05:58 PM']If I get the 8 ohm, then the Tube 800 will run through it at 500W, which is the same level most people are getting as they have LM2’s. It should basically be the same sort of power…yes?[/quote]

If you can produce 500W into an 8ohm load then get an 8ohm cab by all means. You'll be hard pressed to find a use for all that power but it's nice to know it's there.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='494519' date='May 21 2009, 05:58 PM']I’ve heard a few say you shouldn’t underpower Schroeders as they don’t sound as good unless they given decent power.[/quote]

I'm not sure where that advice comes from but I don't agree. I use my 1212L at home at "I've got neighbours on both sides" levels and it sounds great.

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='494554' date='May 21 2009, 06:41 PM']U speak the truth! all makes sense to me! how much is a tube 800 anyway? My 21012 arrived today, why do i have neighbours im here playing at headphone levels, roll on the gig saturday![/quote]

Its about £850 cheapest ive seen....

Let us know about the 21012 :)

Little update...

Just emailed Jorg a few times (it seems my other email address was going into his junk mail). Now hes responding REALLY quick...like within minutes.

So...I asked about the 8 ohm/4ohm thing, and he says that with Schroeders the 4ohm cabs always seem more popular, as people want all their power usually into one cab.

So I figured...maybe I should go for a slightly bigger one, like the 21012L...at 4Ohm. That way I only have to buy one cab, and it has a little more 'ooomph' to it. I want a one cab does most venues..I dont want to have to take two really...or buy two. Takes the point out of what Im after in a lightweight setup.

Then he throws a spanner in the works...they have brand new front fired 4x10 in a light option coming out in a few days. Apparently its the same size as the angled light cab...which is pretty damn small. And did I add...it weighs 51 lbs! Thats quite a lot lighter than my fairly small Orange OBC 1x15...and I thought that was a 'fairly' light cab! And thats with 4 10s capable of 1200W. Insane.

Will keep you all posted!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='496649' date='May 24 2009, 04:00 PM']Ok...new cab series completely![/quote]

Any chance you could trim your signature a bit? It's been longer than your last three posts in this thread, and I imagine it will be longer than most of your posts in most threads.

Maybe be a bit more economical with the line breaks?

Cheers.

FWIW, we (Mae's Lost Empire) played with your band a while back at the Matrix in Grimsby, and I was using my 1212L there. I was barely pushing it. So if you remember that at all, then you'll know how much of a brute it can be. When it was working of ocurse - one of my patch leads kept cutting out :) If not, then never mind ;p

[quote name='Musicman20' post='495977' date='May 23 2009, 12:26 PM']Little update...

Just emailed Jorg a few times (it seems my other email address was going into his junk mail). Now hes responding REALLY quick...like within minutes.

So...I asked about the 8 ohm/4ohm thing, and he says that with Schroeders the 4ohm cabs always seem more popular, as people want all their power usually into one cab.

So I figured...maybe I should go for a slightly bigger one, like the 21012L...at 4Ohm. That way I only have to buy one cab, and it has a little more 'ooomph' to it. I want a one cab does most venues..I dont want to have to take two really...or buy two. Takes the point out of what Im after in a lightweight setup.

Then he throws a spanner in the works...they have brand new front fired 4x10 in a light option coming out in a few days. Apparently its the same size as the angled light cab...which is pretty damn small. And did I add...it weighs 51 lbs! Thats quite a lot lighter than my fairly small Orange OBC 1x15...and I thought that was a 'fairly' light cab! And thats with 4 10s capable of 1200W. Insane.

Will keep you all posted![/quote]

I agree with the just get one cab idea. That to me is the whole point of a small lightweight cab. And they certainly are loud enough.
I think a slightly bigger one would be better though, especially if you are playing Marquees etc (we are).
I tend to push my 1212L a little bit harder than normal at this sort of venue but its still not pushing it too hard. I would love to get a 21012L now to replace my 1210R but i really dont need it to get heard, i just fancy a bit more low end.

Im not sure about these new cabs though (of course i have no experience with them). I thought one of the big selling points of the Schroeders was the angled speaker. Still, im sure Jorg knows what he is doing.

Good luck with what ever you go with. Its not easy is it.

[quote name='Finbar' post='497691' date='May 26 2009, 12:19 AM']FWIW, we (Mae's Lost Empire) played with your band a while back at the Matrix in Grimsby, and I was using my 1212L there. I was barely pushing it. So if you remember that at all, then you'll know how much of a brute it can be. When it was working of ocurse - one of my patch leads kept cutting out :) If not, then never mind ;p[/quote]

Hey

I remember your band! I cannot remember the cab setup...Ive no idea why not! I always check out the gear at gigs. Thanks for the advice.

I decided today to go for a Mark Bass Little Mark 3. Tried all of them (see thread) and thought 500W at 4ohm is more than I will ever need. Also sounded awesome. So now, I might end up with a 1212L or BMF, purely cos Ill not be able to push a 1200W 410 properly....and I dont need to!

I also tried two Aguilar DB1x12 together....and they were really loud. And amazing. 2x12 nowadays can do what a normal 4x10 can do no trouble.

Will keep you all posted.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='498381' date='May 26 2009, 11:23 PM']Tried all of them (see thread) and thought 500W at 4ohm is more than I will ever need. Also sounded awesome. So now, I might end up with a 1212L or BMF, purely cos Ill not be able to push a 1200W 410 properly...[/quote]

To continue repeating myself, the power rating of a cab is a thermal rating - it does not take into account how far the woofers can move without distortion. So a 1200W rated 4x10" is unlikely to handle more than about 300W in the lows without distortion. (And I'm not just referring to run of the mill 4x10"s, I mean the boutique neo ones as well). Also the power rating of a cab does not tell you how much power is needed to 'push it properly' - in fact the larger the cab, the less power you will need to get to gig volume.

Alex

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='498830' date='May 27 2009, 02:54 PM']There is a thread talking about the new Schroeder 1212BMF here.
Looks very interesting.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547522"]Schroeder 1212BMF[/url][/quote]

Wow Now they sound good .. Tall, light and an improved smoothness in the whole tonal range.. sounds like a winner ..

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='498858' date='May 27 2009, 03:12 PM']Wow Now they sound good .. Tall, light and an improved smoothness in the whole tonal range.. sounds like a winner ..[/quote]

yeah, i like the sound of them being warmer and smoother.
Still quite fancy a 1215L though.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='499224' date='May 27 2009, 07:49 PM']Im just wondering if they cut through like the old ones. Really need to test them but no chance of that.[/quote]

The guy says they do .. You are posting on that Talkbass thread, I think, so ask him :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='500904' date='May 29 2009, 01:41 PM']After emails with Shaun @ SHX and Jorg, I am now certain on a 1212BMF. So, I might be the first user on Basschat![/quote]

Cool, keep us posted (although i really shouldnt read anything you write ;-)