Why become a member? ×

Schroeder Cabs

Chezz55

Random thought aimed at no-one in particular... I'm vaguely considering letting my 21012L go and replacing it with a 410L or maybe even a 1210 / 1212.

It's a fab cab, but I'm using P's with flatwounds and since I've moved to the MESA MPulse 600 the bottom-end has become MASSIVE.. great for roundwounds and a SS head, but a little overpowering for the bass and amp I'm using. I think I need something with a slightly tighter bottom end.

We'll see. It's probably just a random GAS-for-the-sake-of-it attack.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='216629' date='Jun 11 2008, 09:20 AM']Random thought aimed at no-one in particular... I'm vaguely considering letting my 21012L go and replacing it with a 410L or maybe even a 1210 / 1212.

It's a fab cab, but I'm using P's with flatwounds and since I've moved to the MESA MPulse 600 the bottom-end has become MASSIVE.. great for roundwounds and a SS head, but a little overpowering for the bass and amp I'm using. I think I need something with a slightly tighter bottom end.

We'll see. It's probably just a random GAS-for-the-sake-of-it attack.[/quote]

I cant suggest the 1212R, although im not sure how different it is from the L version. Ive just got a Little Mark 2 and im [i]Really[/i] having to watch the low end dosnt get boomy. Im thinking i'm going to need to invest in a decent compressor in fact. Tonally its just creeeeaaaaammyyy though.

Cheers, Ste

To be honest, I don't know why I'm complaining. Most people strive for it.

To put it another way... my Fretless P isn't as defined in the lower-mids as I's like, and I'm sure it's because it's being overpowered by huuuge arse-end. I might just stop being lazy and roll a bit of the lows off.. ha ha.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='216648' date='Jun 11 2008, 09:46 AM']Cheers, Ste

To be honest, I don't know why I'm complaining. Most people strive for it.

To put it another way... my Fretless P isn't as defined in the lower-mids as I's like, and I'm sure it's because it's being overpowered by huuuge arse-end. I might just stop being lazy and roll a bit of the lows off.. ha ha.[/quote]

I know what you mean. We have been using a rehearsal room recently that has a Ampeg 2x10 combo with a MAG 1x15 attached and i hate the tone im getting.
It seems to have too much low end and not enough mid to balance it out. I dread hitting the E and E strings below the 7th fret.

But, i love my 1210R and will my new 1212L as they seems nicely balenced to my ears.

The Schroeder's seem to take a bit of getting used to IME.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='216660' date='Jun 11 2008, 10:00 AM']I know what you mean. We have been using a rehearsal room recently that has a Ampeg 2x10 combo with a MAG 1x15 attached and i hate the tone im getting.
It seems to have too much low end and not enough mid to balance it out. I dread hitting the E and E strings below the 7th fret.

But, i love my 1210R and will my new 1212L as they seems nicely balenced to my ears.

The Schroeder's seem to take a bit of getting used to IME.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong.. I've had this cab for two years, and it constantly amazes me. It's just since I got the Mesa head recently, it's a case of 'massive bottom end + massive bottom end = Christ on a bike!'

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='216663' date='Jun 11 2008, 10:04 AM']Don't get me wrong.. I've had this cab for two years, and it constantly amazes me. It's just since I got the Mesa head recently, it's a case of 'massive bottom end + massive bottom end = Christ on a bike!'[/quote]

Yeah, im not a fan of valves (runs for cover;-). I find SS to be a bit flatter tone wise and i like that.
Even though its not quite the same as a Mesa or Ampeg i didnt really get on with my ABM EVOII head. I had just got my 1210R and thought it sounded a bit woolly and the lows were a bit too overbearing for me. swapped the ABM for a LMII and have been very happy.

Well ive been running a GK 1001RB untill i got the markbass and tonally it was perfect for me but we're running a bit tight on space untill we get a new van so i didnt have much of an option.

I think im going to invest in an MXR bass DI as i found the EQ on it to be really usefull in the short space of time i had one. The markbass seems to be just missing the frequency thats bugging me! i mean, it sounds HUGE and i havnt had chance to use it in a band setting yet but i just have a feeling it might muddy up a touch.

Failing that, it might be time to go lightweight cab shopping then just buy another GK when transport is less of an issue ^_^

[quote name='ste_m3' post='216703' date='Jun 11 2008, 10:58 AM']Well ive been running a GK 1001RB untill i got the markbass and tonally it was perfect for me but we're running a bit tight on space untill we get a new van so i didnt have much of an option.

I think im going to invest in an MXR bass DI as i found the EQ on it to be really usefull in the short space of time i had one. The markbass seems to be just missing the frequency thats bugging me! i mean, it sounds HUGE and i havnt had chance to use it in a band setting yet but i just have a feeling it might muddy up a touch.

Failing that, it might be time to go lightweight cab shopping then just buy another GK when transport is less of an issue ^_^[/quote]

What freq are you missing? I went for a SA450 because of the better EQ although to be honest i dont really use it other than a slight mid boost around 100hz (my Fave freq). I use my LMII with my 1210R now and it works fine for me. the 1210R already has the mid boost that helps cut through.
the SA450 will be used with the 1212L
I had a GK1001RBII for a month or two last year. It sounded great but compared to my LMII/SA450 it sounded thin.
I got it as i wanted more volume in a one cab rig and i thought that was it but i found that unless i wanted to get in to the gritty sounds i had to back of the level controls and so it ended up sounding quieter.
I also needed something with a bit of weight to stop my UL115 moving around on stage.

I realise this is objective but the MB heads sounded a lot fuller to me and the band.

Edited by dave_bass5

After having sat down for the last half an hour i think i might have done enough knob twiddling to get it all sorted! It seems to me that the markbass is really exagerating the mid hump alraedy in the schroeder (or maybe the GK was scooping it and ive just got used to it!) Come to think about it maybe this is what everyone means when they say that the Schroeders really arnt very nice solo'd.

at first with everything flat it almost sounded like there was an Octave effect around the 5th to 7th frets on the B and E strings, but ive knocked off some of the lows and its cleaned up now. I could do all this with the J retro on my jazz but id rather use that for tone shaping than balls out EQ'ing.

I might get chance too stretch it out on friday where i wont be going throug the PA for a gig (Scares the beejesus out of me that!) if i can find room in a car for it!

[quote name='ste_m3' post='216739' date='Jun 11 2008, 11:43 AM']After having sat down for the last half an hour i think i might have done enough knob twiddling to get it all sorted! It seems to me that the markbass is really exagerating the mid hump alraedy in the schroeder (or maybe the GK was scooping it and ive just got used to it!) Come to think about it maybe this is what everyone means when they say that the Schroeders really arnt very nice solo'd.

at first with everything flat it almost sounded like there was an Octave effect around the 5th to 7th frets on the B and E strings, but ive knocked off some of the lows and its cleaned up now. I could do all this with the J retro on my jazz but id rather use that for tone shaping than balls out EQ'ing.

I might get chance too stretch it out on friday where i wont be going throug the PA for a gig (Scares the beejesus out of me that!) if i can find room in a car for it![/quote]

Yeah, the Schroeder's sound a lot better out front in a mix than they do close up IME. And i would say the GK is scooping the mids (that was my findings anyway).
I got a SA450 over a LMII to try and tame the mid bump of my 1210R but after a while i realised i liked it and although it can be a bit over powering on small stages out front the sound seems to even out quite a bit.
I believe the 1212R is a bit darker (according to Jorg when i asked about it) than my 1210R or 1212L so i guess it does have a slightly thicker low end compared to the other cabs. One of the reasons i went for the 1210R in the first place and i believe the 1212L is closer to that than the 1212R.

I actually experienced the double octave thing with my GK higher up on the E and A strings.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='216741' date='Jun 11 2008, 11:51 AM']Yeah, the Schroeder's sound a lot better out front in a mix than they do close up IME. And i would say the GK is scooping the mids (that was my findings anyway).
I got a SA450 over a LMII to try and tame the mid bump of my 1210R but after a while i realised i liked it and although it can be a bit over powering on small stages out front the sound seems to even out quite a bit.

I actually experienced the double octave thing with my GK higher up on the E and A strings.[/quote]

Aye, its all becoming clearer now!

i must say, since adding the markbass its becoming a lot more even right across the fretboard minus the boom area i was talking about, but i think ive got rid of that now.

Im hoping this rig is going to be able to cope with Dance Stage East at Glastonbury - That will be the ultimate test!

[quote name='ste_m3' post='216744' date='Jun 11 2008, 11:56 AM']Aye, its all becoming clearer now!

i must say, since adding the markbass its becoming a lot more even right across the fretboard minus the boom area i was talking about, but i think ive got rid of that now.

Im hoping this rig is going to be able to cope with Dance Stage East at Glastonbury - That will be the ultimate test![/quote]

Nice one.
Good luck with it and keep us posted.
One thin i find that helps keep the boom down is to not use the VPF filter. then again, i so very rarely get any boom form my 1210R that i do tend to have both filters on a little.
As ive just replaced my UL212 with a 1212L im also hoping it will cope with a couple of big holiday camps we are doing next month. The UL212 struggled a bit and while i know the 1212L will be louder its the fact that its around half the size that makes me worried.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='216788' date='Jun 11 2008, 12:40 PM']Im gutted your in london tbh, id have loved to A/B my 1212R against your Light. and in fact against the 1210 too... mmm![/quote]

well if im ever gigging in your area ill let you know.

I can tell you the 1212L and 1210R seems very similar from what i have played. just at work.
but the 1212L seems a bit thicker and with a bit more low end (only slightly though). Its also nice to be able to lift it and carry it with one hand. Its soooo light and i like the rhino covering as well.
I might even replace the 1210R with another one later on in the year. Im getting lazy these days.

I'm thinking of trying a new amp to go with my Schroeder 1210L. I've found that the bass eq on the Acoustic Image is voiced too low, and hence is a poor combination with my Schroeder, as their low end extension is not massive. At present I can only boost the mids to thicken things up.

I'm looking for suggestions folks, something clean, transparent, tight/quick response, and physically small & light (i.e. Class D or close to Class D in those qualities). Markbass sounds like a good option, but I am unsure at present. There's a multitude of combinations of amps and cabs out there and I don't know where to start.

Mark

I have a pair of 1212Ls with the new Celestions Jorg is using now in them. The Celestions are a bit warmer than the previous 12s he used (Eminence I believe) and can handle more power. The 1212Ls are a bit dark sounding especially at low volume. At louder volumes the sound opens up. They cut through the mix and the volume to weight ratio is great coming in at 40lbs. each. The pair of 1212L cabs driven by my Acoustic Image Focus I Series III at 2 ohms (they are each 4 ohms) just screams. Makes me feel I could take walls down. They sound great with my Thunderfunk 550B.

Jorg firmly stands behind his products. I bought my first 1212L in Nov. and in March I below both speakers. No questions asked he sent me two new replacement speakers on warrenty at no cost (this is when I first heard the Celestions). I also had a back cover issue and he sent me a new back cover with no questions asked. I bought the second 1212L a couple of months ago becuase the cabs are so light and because the customer service Jorg provides is second to none. Both are in black rhino...love them...

Ive just got back from my first gig with my 1212L (with celestions in it) and i must say im impressed.
Considering its a 2x12, the same as my UL212 there is just no comparison. The 1212L really cut through. It had loads of growl that the UL212 could never get.
Ive almost got a headache from the high volume but the volume was needed at this gig. It inspired me to play lines that i havent bothered with before due to lack of definition.

My only issue was a noise comng from the cab when i played down the neck. Im hoping its a wire touching the cone. It did this when i firsr got it and i thought i had sorted it but it looks like ill have to open it up again at the next gig.

Even so, im very happy with this cab and have no regrets. I might even change my 1210R for another 1212L. Its early days though and i know the cab will take a few gigs before the speakers settle down but im now a lot more confident in being heard.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='mcgraham' post='218465' date='Jun 13 2008, 05:32 PM']I'm thinking of trying a new amp to go with my Schroeder 1210L. I've found that the bass eq on the Acoustic Image is voiced too low, and hence is a poor combination with my Schroeder, as their low end extension is not massive. At present I can only boost the mids to thicken things up.

I'm looking for suggestions folks, something clean, transparent, tight/quick response, and physically small & light (i.e. Class D or close to Class D in those qualities). Markbass sounds like a good option, but I am unsure at present. There's a multitude of combinations of amps and cabs out there and I don't know where to start.

Mark[/quote]

Well. I can suggest a second hand or new (if you can find one) Genz Benz Neopack 3.5. This consists of a valve pre with class D power amp section. In combination with a 1212L the sound is warm and expressive. Has bags of tone with my Darkstar equpped P-bass and Lakland 55-01 (sadly now gone). If the band I'm now in takes off - would like to get a second 1212L. I believe the amp with one 4 ohm 1212L is 350 watts and with two 4 ohm 1212L's is 500 watts. Makes for a very light and portable combination.

Cheers

Bill

[quote name='dmz' post='219078' date='Jun 15 2008, 03:29 AM']Well. I can suggest a second hand or new (if you can find one) Genz Benz Neopack 3.5. This consists of a valve pre with class D power amp section. In combination with a 1212L the sound is warm and expressive. Has bags of tone with my Darkstar equpped P-bass and Lakland 55-01 (sadly now gone). If the band I'm now in takes off - would like to get a second 1212L. I believe the amp with one 4 ohm 1212L is 350 watts and with two 4 ohm 1212L's is 500 watts. Makes for a very light and portable combination.

Cheers

Bill[/quote]

All good advice apart from the ohmage on the neo pak, only SOME neo paks have had the 2ohm mod, stock ones will not run 500 watts with 2 4 ohm cabs, it will overheat and die :)

Just kind of need my mind setting at ease.

I'm almost sure I'm going to order a 1212L in the next few days. But I'm still not 100% on it. Just need some more reassurance :)

Going to be running an Ampeg pre through it - just want some straight up modern RAWK sounds. Abuse it with a low B, stupid octave effects, silly distortions and high pitched whammy noises. Reckon it'll handle it, and keep throwing the sound out at a good volume?

Having now gigged with my new 1212L I can say it works very well, it coped where I thought it wouldn't, it looked lost on a massive stage but I really don't want a big stack behind me anymore. It is a unique sound but you hear yourself amongst the guitar amps for a change instead of blending in. My only concern is Low B, it does lose a bit here but I cannot grumble for such a tiny package and the volume is huge it could run and run. It works very well with Markbass heads, can dial in some great tones I just have to get used to it but hope this time this cab will be a keeper as my back is thanking me in spades.
I had doubts but this is great, my next step is trying my 40 effects pedals through it, btw the MXR+ compliments this well and just evens out things where needed.

[quote name='Smash' post='224643' date='Jun 23 2008, 12:13 AM']Having now gigged with my new 1212L I can say it works very well, it coped where I thought it wouldn't, it looked lost on a massive stage but I really don't want a big stack behind me anymore. It is a unique sound but you hear yourself amongst the guitar amps for a change instead of blending in. My only concern is Low B, it does lose a bit here but I cannot grumble for such a tiny package and the volume is huge it could run and run. It works very well with Markbass heads, can dial in some great tones I just have to get used to it but hope this time this cab will be a keeper as my back is thanking me in spades.
I had doubts but this is great, my next step is trying my 40 effects pedals through it, btw the MXR+ compliments this well and just evens out things where needed.[/quote]

Glad it's working out for you, Smash ..