Why become a member? ×

Schroeder Cabs

Chezz55

[quote name='Musicman20' post='491961' date='May 18 2009, 10:31 PM']Did most people who own the 1212L go for 4 Ohm?[/quote]

I did but then I'd wished I'd got an 8 ohm so I coud add another for thr height and stack, not for the volume.

[quote name='OldGit' post='491999' date='May 18 2009, 11:15 PM']I did but then I'd wished I'd got an 8 ohm so I coud add another for thr height and stack, not for the volume.[/quote]

I also did. Im in a position that i can only ever use one cab (due to car space) so thought i might as well get as much out of the amp as i can.

Yep...well my Orange is the same no matter what....so for my Orange it doesnt matter which I go for.

I think cos Im trying to get the smallest and loudest 12+12...it may as well be a 4Ohm...hmmm...

Only think is...If I go for a 800 MB head...thats 800W going through it...OUCH LOUD!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='492033' date='May 19 2009, 12:15 AM']Yep...well my Orange is the same no matter what....so for my Orange it doesnt matter which I go for.

I think cos Im trying to get the smallest and loudest 12+12...it may as well be a 4Ohm...hmmm...

Only think is...If I go for a 800 MB head...thats 800W going through it...OUCH LOUD![/quote]

The 1212L will handle the LMIII800 fine IMO.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='492033' date='May 19 2009, 12:15 AM']Yep...well my Orange is the same no matter what....so for my Orange it doesn't matter which I go for.

Only think is...If I go for a 800 MB head...thats 800W going through it...OUCH LOUD![/quote]

If it makes no difference I'd get the 8 ohm one simply so that you can add a second cab later for the trannie amps, should you want it for whatever reason.

Jorg tells a tale of someone sticking 1100 watts flat out through one 1212L, in their garage ... "it coped for a while" was the summation.
I assume the guy's neighbours then shot it, or him ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='492146' date='May 19 2009, 09:51 AM']If it makes no difference I'd get the 8 ohm one simply so that you can add a second cab later for the trannie amps, should you want it for whatever reason.

Jorg tells a tale of someone sticking 1100 watts flat out through one 1212L, in their garage ... "it coped for a while" was the summation.
I assume the guy's neighbours then shot it, or him ...[/quote]

Ive read quite a few people use crown power amps in to the small boxes. It wont actually be that much louder than a lower wattage head though.

Alex?

[quote name='OldGit' post='492146' date='May 19 2009, 09:51 AM']If it makes no difference I'd get the 8 ohm one simply so that you can add a second cab later for the trannie amps, should you want it for whatever reason.

I assume the guy's neighbours then shot it, or him ...[/quote]

Yeah I was thinking of going 8 Ohm...although I dont know which one would be better if I ever decided to sell it on. I dont know which version would be the most popular with everyone. Id prob have to go for a higher powered LMTube800 so its 500W @ 8 Ohms (plenty loud enough)...but if I had to sell it on, im not sure which would be best. The option of adding another is good.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='492519' date='May 19 2009, 05:12 PM']SHX seem quite efficient. They are going for £565 with delivery. Ive shopped elsewhere and thats the best price. Is that pretty reasonable for a 1212L?

Tried emailing Jorg just for info and got no response as yet[/quote]

Yes, thats a good price for a new one. And you will be getting one of the later versions with the smoother sounding tweeter and drivers.
I paid about £600 last year from them.

One of the drivers went down within two gigs and i cant tell you how pleased i was that i got mine from Shaun. Although i contacted both him and Jorg (and both work closely together) Jorg authorised Shaun (i think it worked that way) to send me a brand new driver. Reported it to both of them on a Sunday and had the new driver in the cab by wed.
I even got to keep the old driver. The dome has come away from the cone slightly in one place. I believe its very easy to fix so i have a spare now if i ever need it.

Just a note of caution... a friend of mine had a driver go bad in a 410R after a couple of months and a handful of gigs. He had a hell of a job getting a new driver from Jorg, despite Shaun's best efforts.

It was only resolved after I suggested we might put a couple of clips on YouTube to illustrate the problem...

I should add that I've had plenty of good dealings with Jorg, but that was my most recent. It was very disappointing.

i had a 21012 that sounded amazing with a solid state head but when i bought a DB750 the bottom end became too much...I am considering buying a couple of 115L+ 's but am a bit nervous about the quality issues that come from buying from such a small set up...also heard a lot of stories about stuff not being quite right......might go for the brand and buy an SWR golight 410 instead....decisions..decisions....
However the 21012 was a terrific cab and i bet it would sound amazing with the mark bass heads...............

[quote name='Musicman20' post='492682' date='May 19 2009, 08:53 PM']The gulp, I bet, is part excitement!

Are they much more than the 1212L?

Cheers[/quote]
Part excitement and the shock of parting with 750 notes.................

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='492685' date='May 19 2009, 08:56 PM']Part excitement and the shock of parting with 750 notes.................[/quote]

Itll be good :)

I was half tempted to start looking at that cab...but I MUST stay compact otherwise defeating my point of getting it....the GAS is getting to me !!!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='492702' date='May 19 2009, 09:07 PM']Im the dilemna now of half just going for the 4ohm 1212L.....its in stock. Perhaps the 8ohm version would be better! ARGHHGHGHGHGGH[/quote]
I ummed and arrd, I use an LM11 and like loads of headroom and just thought at the end of the day the 2x10 combined with the 12 gave me the best of both worlds and at 1000watts is a 1 cab solution. I thought a 1212 might be 2 muddy and not a great improvement in clarity and punch from my 2 15" Markbasses, and the 410 might be just too middy. Time will tell

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='492624' date='May 19 2009, 07:42 PM']Took the plunge and just ordered a 21012L from Shaun, gulp, hope it lives up to the hype![/quote]

I'm guessing yours is the new-style forward-firing box. I only have experience with the older cab with the internal driver. It's got a big bottom, that cab, - with the benefit of hindsight - it didn't suit my preferred heads. I imagine it'll be fine with a Thunderfunk or a Markbass, though.

Also - you'll be suprised how small and light it is...!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='492702' date='May 19 2009, 09:07 PM']Im the dilemna now of half just going for the 4ohm 1212L.....its in stock. Perhaps the 8ohm version would be better! ARGHHGHGHGHGGH[/quote]

When I bought my 1212L I was a bit concerned that it was 4ohm and it would be difficult to add a second cab, but honestly one of them paired with a 500W head is really, really loud. I don't regret it at all.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='492772' date='May 19 2009, 10:24 PM']When I bought my 1212L I was a bit concerned that it was 4ohm and it would be difficult to add a second cab, but honestly one of them paired with a 500W head is really, really loud. I don't regret it at all.[/quote]

Thanks! I can see your point. Shaun at SHX stated the 4 Ohm cabs are much more popular. If I paid it with a MarkBassTube 800....wow....thats going to be loud...and I wont need to push the head. Plus I suppose If I got two 8 Ohm cabs...I may as well use a 4x10 and have the weight/size issue.