Why become a member? ×

Schroeder Cabs

Chezz55

The 1212L ( 4 ohms) combined with a LMII is very loud indeed.

I never go through the PA. We play clubs, hotel rooms and small pubs and the 1212L can handle it all.. I can't even begin to imagine how loud a pair would be!!! I know I would never need more than a single 1212L.

Frank

[quote name='machinehead' post='492816' date='May 19 2009, 11:23 PM']The 1212L ( 4 ohms) combined with a LMII is very loud indeed.

I never go through the PA. We play clubs, hotel rooms and small pubs and the 1212L can handle it all.. I can't even begin to imagine how loud a pair would be!!! I know I would never need more than a single 1212L.

Frank[/quote]

Comments appreciated. Clubs and pubs are my venues mainly...for the moment. Ive got the 810 for big venues. I think you guys are right going for the 4Ohm. Less to carry...good volume. Schroeder also seem to carry a good 'name' which nowadays its a great thing. Built in USA as well.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='492819' date='May 19 2009, 11:26 PM']Comments appreciated. Clubs and pubs are my venues mainly...for the moment. Ive got the 810 for big venues. I think you guys are right going for the 4Ohm. Less to carry...good volume.[/quote]

That's the thing. I wanted to go nice and portable (because I live in a flat and my "music room" is two storeys up) but while I figured a single 1212 would be OK for most stuff I was concerned about gigs where it couldn't hack it. Let's just say since I got the cab I am no longer concerned about that.

[quote name='Protium' post='492781' date='May 19 2009, 10:32 PM']I think a pair of 1212 or 1210 would be unfeasibly loud :)[/quote]

Yeah, i cant see that ever being needed (although i can see it being tried).

I feel that if your going for a small cab/rig then you wouldn't really want two cabs, it defeats the object.

I play the same type of gigs as machinehead and ive never needed to turn my MB heads up past 12 o 'clock with my 12xx cabs. I have with other cabs in the past.

A bit off topic but we had a rehearsal last week, first one fo rover a year, and i took my SA450 but used the studios 2x10 (Ampeg combo) and a Ashdown MAG 1x15 deep. I got a totally different sound to my 1212L. I expected it but different but this was a shook. It had a lot of very low end and sounded, well to me it sounded like an upright bass sort of tone (P with flats).
While i love my 12xx cabs and these do the job im starting to feel im missing out on something and might try and get a slightly bigger cab now to replace the 1212L (no offers, im not selling it ;-)
I quite fancy a 21012 now.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='493444' date='May 20 2009, 04:48 PM']A bit off topic but we had a rehearsal last week, first one fo rover a year, and i took my SA450 but used the studios 2x10 (Ampeg combo) and a Ashdown MAG 1x15 deep. I got a totally different sound to my 1212L. I expected it but different but this was a shook. It had a lot of very low end and sounded, well to me it sounded like an upright bass sort of tone (P with flats).
While i love my 12xx cabs and these do the job im starting to feel im missing out on something and might try and get a slightly bigger cab now to replace the 1212L (no offers, im not selling it ;-)[/quote]

I ran through an Orange 2x15 at a rehearsal the other week and it actually put me off going back to big cabs. :)

To be fair this was a rather battered old '70s cab, but the huge amount of bass was too much. I think with the little Schroeders you don't really notice what you're missing because everything's so nicely audible. I remember when I used to run with a "proper" rig taming all that low-end boom was really difficult sometimes and it would just muddy the sound.

I know some people like to have loads of thundery sub bass but it just irritates me. I'll hand in my bass player card on my way out...

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='493444' date='May 20 2009, 04:48 PM']A bit off topic but we had a rehearsal last week, first one fo rover a year, and i took my SA450 but used the studios 2x10 (Ampeg combo) and a Ashdown MAG 1x15 deep. I got a totally different sound to my 1212L. I expected it but different but this was a shook. It had a lot of very low end and sounded, well to me it sounded like an upright bass sort of tone (P with flats).
While i love my 12xx cabs and these do the job im starting to feel im missing out on something and might try and get a slightly bigger cab now to replace the 1212L (no offers, im not selling it ;-)
I quite fancy a 21012 now.[/quote]
That's sort-of what happened when after a few years using a 21012L and a 410L. 'Something' was missing... not sure what.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='493464' date='May 20 2009, 04:59 PM']I ran through an Orange 2x15 at a rehearsal the other week and it actually put me off going back to big cabs. :)

To be fair this was a rather battered old '70s cab, but the huge amount of bass was too much. I think with the little Schroeders you don't really notice what you're missing because everything's so nicely audible. I remember when I used to run with a "proper" rig taming all that low-end boom was really difficult sometimes and it would just muddy the sound.

I know some people like to have loads of thundery sub bass but it just irritates me. I'll hand in my bass player card on my way out...[/quote]

I agree, its a bit too much in the low end and i felt it hampered my playing a bit.
I find the low end good enough from my 1212L but i can see how it does lack a bit of real bottom end that might be useful, especially combined with the Schroeder "poke".

And ive said it before but i find these small cabs work better on hollow stages than big stacks, probably due to the lack of very low end getting in the way.

Edited by dave_bass5

Well new 21012 arriving tomorrow so hoping to tighten up my sound from the 2x15"MB ive been using. Gig on Sunday, Shaun says be sensible with the speakers and let the cones loosen up! not really sure what he means other than dont run em at full tilt!

[quote name='LettuceFunk' post='493558' date='May 20 2009, 06:25 PM']Say you have a Eden WT550 (500watts @ 4ohms/ 750 @ 2ohms) and you have a Schroeder 1212L (800watts 4ohms), could you essentially add another 1212L (4 ohms) and have a 750watt monster sound from a reasonably compact rig?[/quote]

Yes :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='493605' date='May 20 2009, 07:08 PM']Is it really shallow that I want a second cab, but I'm only really looking at ones the same footprint as my Schroeder because I don't want a stupid looking uneven stack?[/quote]

Not at all..

I'd have got a second 1212L if I'd have been able to swap my 4ohm one for an 8ohm one ..
My reason was simply because my gadget box, which lives on top of my stack at gigs, was too low at gigs ...
So it was add a cab or use a stand.
Plus it looks a lot better and gives more flexibility .. one cab for little events, two for big ones and where I need the height :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='493605' date='May 20 2009, 07:08 PM']Is it really shallow that I want a second cab, but I'm only really looking at ones the same footprint as my Schroeder because I don't want a stupid looking uneven stack?[/quote]

I was thinking of a second also, i was thinking the same as you, another 1212L, but i think it'd be more benifical to have the 1515L, it's the same width, with an inch in the difference in height and 2 inches deeper. Wouldn't look uneven face on at all. Plus the 1515L is even lighter than the 1212L.

The weight doesn't bother me TOO much. I'm still a whippersnapper.

But mine won't be a one cab for small gigs/two for big'uns. I'm biamping into it, and want a cab for the low end. My poweramp will run at 375W per side at 4 ohms (as I already have a 4 ohm 1212L), which should be fine. But the Schroeder does a good low end, though it doesn't excel at it. So I'm kind of not sure where to go with it. Definitely don't want to lose the 1212L though. I'm in love with it.

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='493515' date='May 20 2009, 05:49 PM']Well new 21012 arriving tomorrow so hoping to tighten up my sound from the 2x15"MB ive been using. Gig on Sunday, Shaun says be sensible with the speakers and let the cones loosen up! not really sure what he means other than dont run em at full tilt![/quote]
Whereabouts are you playing?

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has AB'd a 4 ohm and 8 ohm version of the same cab. I reckon that with something as powerful as a LMII you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Glad to be proved wrong, as always!

[quote name='pete.young' post='493777' date='May 20 2009, 10:33 PM']Whereabouts are you playing?

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has AB'd a 4 ohm and 8 ohm version of the same cab. I reckon that with something as powerful as a LMII you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Glad to be proved wrong, as always![/quote]

I haven't compared a 4ohms to a 8ohms but i believe (form what Ive read) a 4ohms cab can sound cleaner, or certainly different.
I cant remember where i read it but its also mentioned by someone when talking about the new LMIII. They mention that the new limiting circuit should help with a 8ohms cab but wont make much difference with a 4ohms.
I know thats all a bit sketchy but if you have a look over on TB I'm sure you will find something. I guess you could start with Ken Jung's posts.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='493794' date='May 20 2009, 10:53 PM']How can you have amp GAS?!?!?!? You've got a meaty rig! :)[/quote]

Its all this talk about cabs and me wanting something slightly bigger for one of my bands.
Its not healthy in here ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5