Why become a member? ×

String suggestions - Makes and where to get them?

chuck_stones

Hi all, my apologies if this has already been covered (I'm quite sure it has somewhere, but I didn't see anything when I searched just now), but lately I've been paying more attention to the strings I'm using.

I used to be a cheap string fanatic; I'd stick em on, use them until the they went dead (which was promptly on cheap strings) then change them for another set. Aside from the waste changing strings so frequently produces, I've been thinking it's probably more cost effective to spend extra cash on a decent set which will last longer.

Having read countless web pages, forum posts and reviews on strings I'm none the wiser on which strings to get, but if I'm going to spend upwards of £30 on a set, I'd like them to be what I'm after. So this is where the lovely BC community come in - I need your suggestions!

Here's the essentials:
My preferred tone: bass heavy, almost sub like (lots of classic bass warmth) with a crisp definition on the notes
Style: My current band plays hard progressive rock with some fast passages and complex lines. I've also been dabbling in slap, so I want a string that has a nice bit of clarity and definition ('zing?').

So far, I've tried:
Steel roundwounds = good but too harsh on the trebles and noisy.
Halfwound or groundwounds = love them both in feel and tone, but where to get them?!
Flatwounds = only tried them on fretless basses - how do they sound on fretted basses?

So, the question is...
What are your string recommendations for bass heavy, but defined notes and where do you get them from without breaking the bank?

A lot of people seem to like La Bella Deep Talkin' flatwounds and they sound perfect for my needs but here in the UK they're mighty pricey, does anyone know of a store or online shop that sells them at a good price? (Also, I've read some people find them 'grabby' when sliding, anyone else had this problem?)

Sorry, this was meant to be a quick post and it's turned out more complicated than I expected....a bit like finding the right strings....

Any suggestions/help greatly appreciated :)

I use TI Powerbass. They are expensive but stay bright and playable for around 6-9 months of daily use.

[url="http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?MAIN=http://www.stringbusters.com/ko-kat/BASS%20STRINGS/THOMASTIK/"]http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?...INGS/THOMASTIK/[/url]

Although flatwounds are expensive they do last for years so the overall cost is pretty low when broken down to a monthly cost versus a roundwound that may be change more often.
To compare cost properly would require a spreadsheet with the longevity vs price for each string make and model. Surprisingly, people always say that I am overly obsessed with spreadsheets...

I love GHS precision flats and I buy them from the states on ebay for less than £20 delivered within a week, like [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GHS-PRECISION-BASS-STRINGS-FLATWOUND-M3050-1-SETS-/170554363653#ht_500wt_922"]these[/url].
They are great for reggae and get better the longer they're on, but they may not be bright enough for you, check out this video review:

Ask ten bassists for about their strings and you're likely to get at least 15 recommendations.

String choice is a very personal matter and you need to match the string to the bass as well as the player. For example I use at more than 6 different makes and types of string depending on the bass and the sound and feel I am after.

My favourites are: La Bella Hard Rocking Steels, Overwater Nickels, Overwater Steels, Pedulla Nickels, TI Jazz Flats. All are different and each one suits a different bass.

You'll probably get a lot of recommendations for various DR strings. I'd like to counter that by saying that I haven't yet played a set of DRs that I've liked. Just goes to show that all you'll get from this thread are a whole load of suggestions...

[quote name='gary mac' post='1129452' date='Feb 16 2011, 11:50 AM']I bet when I revisit Bass chat in a few hours this thread will be about three pages long :)

And I love DR High beams, but they are stainless, so maybe not what you want. I have found them to be good for punchy rock and funk so far.[/quote]
+1

i tried lots until i got some of these. i play funk and they are perfect for that.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1129861' date='Feb 16 2011, 04:37 PM']Ask ten bassists for about their strings and you're likely to get at least 15 recommendations.

String choice is a very personal matter and you need to match the string to the bass as well as the player. For example I use at more than 6 different makes and types of string depending on the bass and the sound and feel I am after.[/quote]

So true, and so often forgotten.....

Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like I've got me a lot more strings to try out. What's interesting is that none of the stings I've tried already have come as recommendations from people on here. So I've definitely got some good ideas.

So, what's the best place to get strings online? Evilbay seems to be cropping up a lot?!

I'm using TI Jazz Flats in my fretted Ibby.

Posted this before, but here's my embarrassing mush slapping them! Bass was plugged into amp sitting next to computer table & picked up with the mac's mic.

Stringbusters for your strings.

Edited by xgsjx

It's all very subjective like BigRedX said. Personally I love flats & have no issues using them on fretted basses.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1130433' date='Feb 16 2011, 11:17 PM']14 posts and no one slagged off Rotosounds? :) Oh sorry I just have......[/quote]
I pretty much use Rotosounds exclusively now

I know you do Burrito, I think I have read these threads so many times I could tell you what all 12'000+ BC members use :) each to their own that's what I say and the only way unfortunately is to try them over the years to see what you do and don't like, I love the sound of Roto's for the first week then it's Ohhhhh there dead where's the next £20 coming from :) Elites FTW ,Cheapish yet last IMO&E

I had a set of ernie ball flats on an early 80s Aria bass. Sounded fantastic. A mate picked it up for a quick play, and wanted to buy it straight off because of the strings. That's about 5 years ago now... he still has it with the same set of strings on!

I've got 2 fretlesses with Daddario ground 1/2rounds on. Had a couple of issues with them randomly breaking, but like the sound/feel/not fretboard chewing properties. (Dealt with Strings Direct - A quick email, and another set were sent straight out. Excellent service!)

My 6 string fretless has Thomastik jazz flats. The sound doesn't seem to have changed over 3 years, but they didn't have much "bite" to start off with!

On my 1 token fretted bass, I'm using the rotosounds in the bright yellow or pink packs (the cheap ones) and prefer them to their swing bass efforts which seem to lose their sound very quickly.

After getting used to buying cello and double bass strings, most bass guitar strings suddenly seem cheap!