Why become a member? ×

Trades

4 candles

Howdy

Ive brought and sold many a bass on this site but have never traded.

please ecuse my ignorance but what is the general etiquette? and how does the actual trade take place.

I would assume you would meet at a halfway point and exchange

Im sure there are many variables but which is the most common?

Would appreciate your thoughts

Regards

Mark

On the occasion I traded, the other guy came to my house and we did the deal there. He took a six string version of his bass and I got a 5 string version in return. He did well out of the deal but I did it with my eyes open. Its a judgement call. Some trades include an additional exchange of cash one way or ther other but that has to be negotiated on a case by case basis, The whole transaction is a matter for the individuals concerned. Personally, I wouldn't trade by post (i.e without seeing the bass) unless I knew the other party well and could be sure of their integrity.

I've always exchanged photos, been brutally honest about any dinks, scratches or problems with the bass, and met at a mutually convenient location. Sometimes home, more often a service station halfway between.

Met up, had a coffee and a chat, both parties take a look at the respective basses and leve happy. That's always been my experience, as most (with one exception) people I've dealt with on here have been really nice guys.

You could trade in the post, I guess, if the relationship was sufficient to produce the necessary trust.

I've met half-way before, and collected. Collection is best, be it them coming to you, or you them - you get time to play, to try and have a chat through any questions. Also, you get to drink some good cups of tea, maybe even the odd beer.

I've only achieved one trade so far, probably far from typical but:

The 'seller' (another basschatter) I agreed a trade with didn't have suitable hard case/box/packing for his bass, but I have a very strong & well made 'proper' flight case, bass size. So on trust I sent the bass I was trading, wrapped & protected inside the flight case, with courier I arranged an agreement that upon delivery they waited for the return parcel. So the receiver had time to unpack & check my old bass, then place his in the flight case, seal & lock it up, change address labels & hand back to the courier.

All went as planned, collected from me Monday, delivered Tuesday & back to me Wednesday. No damage to either bass or case, both parties were happy with the swap & I paid the balance of the deal by bank tx same day.

Of course this involved a lot of trust, which is where the basschat community scores so highly.

I wouldn't have tried this with any 'normal' hard case in these circumstances, a decent flight case is a worthwhile investment for peace of mind.

Cheerz, John.

I've traded face-to-face and by post. The former is easy - in all cases they came to me as they were passing the area or lived close.

With posting - I trusted the other person as they had reasonable forum history, plus they sent their bass to me first (as you would any payment) and I sent mine after. Generally though, meeting is a better bet, people aren't as likely to try it on.

I've traded at my house, at the other party's house, at a motorway service station, and on one occasion by post. All went exceptionally smoothly, the closest thing to a problem being when the other party's courier screwed up and took the parcel back to the depot on a Friday so it sat there all weekend. NOT the other party's fault, just UPS failing to deliver.

BUT you should use a bit of common. I was happy to trade by post with someone who has an excellent reputation on Basschat; I would be more careful about trading with someone unknown to me.

Incidentally, it's worth remembering that most of us have bought basses over the net at some point, which meant sending them actual money before they sent the bass to us. The only real "trust" issue with trading is whether or not the basses are fairly and completely described.

[quote name='tredders' post='1122631' date='Feb 10 2011, 01:56 PM']I've always exchanged photos, been brutally honest about any dinks, scratches or problems with the bass, and met at a mutually convenient location. Sometimes home, more often a service station halfway between.

Met up, had a coffee and a chat, both parties take a look at the respective basses and leve happy. That's always been my experience, as most people I've dealt with on here have been really nice guys.[/quote]
Same here.

Mutually convenient can just be your house as every time is different & I'm [b]very[/b] familiar with far too many motorway service station car parks!

I've traded in person and by post.

In person I've travelled to Scotland twice, and various motorway service stations.

I've traded a tuner pedal and this last week a fairly expensive amp by post.

Trusting the people involved is a must. Get their phone numbers and addresses, and exchange tracking numbers. If it's a small item, like a pedal, then send it by 'next day' recorded delivery or special delivery.

I've also sold a few items, as opposed to trading. Again it's trust, and being honest about what you're selling. Remember that one persons idea of 'mint condition' and yours may be something totally different.

I love it when you see an advert worded " mint condition apart from the usual wear and tear associated with gigging, a couple of dings and bumps". Mint is mint, a dinged and bumped bass isn't mint.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1122809' date='Feb 10 2011, 04:14 PM']...I love it when you see an advert worded " mint condition apart from the usual wear and tear associated with gigging, a couple of dings and bumps". Mint is mint, a dinged and bumped bass isn't mint.[/quote]

A bit OT but that winds me up too!

I've only done one trade on BC. It was quite a while ago but IIRC we both posted the basses on the same day but mine took longer to arrive than did his.

It's fairly straightforward from feedback threads and from what you've seen before to know if a member here is definitely in good standing. If that's not clear at BC then there's always eBay feedback.

But sometimes you have to take a risk.

Ive only done one trade. With McNach ( Jose the Biologist ) Met at glasgow central then struggled to find a coffee place. I felt a bit nervous with being my age ( might not have been taken seriously ) was a nice easy trade, quite look followed then by watching jose's mad skills unplugged probably playin a line from red hot chillis then done deal :)